Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh dear - here we go

Yesterday I was looking at an old Honda VFR 800 parked up here. It seemed well used and the guy on it wasn't a fair weather ( I'm sure by the look of him) rider and the paintwork on his bike was very very good a bit of corrosion underneath the fairing but nowt really. I didn't see the mileage but fork down tubes had no pitting so obviously Honda got it right back then late nineties.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    You can bury your heads in the sand for as long as you want, but it is true. They are nowhere near as good as they used to be. Now that may be down to money saving by BMW or the environmentally friendly paint they must use now, but the fact remains that they do corrode at an alarming rate compared to the older ones. I have just bought a 12yr old GSA that is in better condition than my 14 plate GSA with 4800 miles on the clock when I got rid. I am fastidious about cleaning my bikes and had ACF'd it since it was new. But it was rusting up on the pannier rails, the welds are shocking. The underside, the centre stand the bolts everywhere. It was an amazing bike, but as a direct comparison with a very much older bike. It is loosing big time.

We all love our BMW's and are committed to the brand, but come on BMW sort out the quality issues or you will loose this loyal band of brothers.

Surely given the number of engines and final drives they have had to replace it would be cheaper to add a bit more paint or introduce a different coating procedure, I have asked my local dealer as to how many engines they have replaced but they are not allowed to say apparently.....
    I have a 20 year old R1100RS I use throughout the winter and yes it is acf50'd but the finish is holding up really, really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gog5y View Post

We all love our BMW's and are committed to the brand.....
    Don't be ..!

Commit yourself to a good bike, not a brand!
    I am not loyal to any brand, I'm loyal to myself and to having and owning a good bike. I've made it no secret that I've loved the last two KTM 's that I've owned, but that doesn't mean I'll stick with them out of 'loyalty' ...
    What will my next bike be ..?
    It'll be a good one that's made well, performs well and ticks all my boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is it just the modern way of building down to costs? with computer controlled minimum spec etc. I've an old old yacht 1967 vintage which kept me sane when my Linda got cancer. This morning I sailed with a friend who I've taught to sail ( well sort of) he has bought a very modern yacht when we put her on the mooring and had a cuppa the sun was shining on the hull and I kid you not you could see the reflection through the hull my old lady has grp hull at least 1/2" thick. All modern stuff must be made to the minimum standards, or am I wrong??

Proud Tosser Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by fishy23 View Post
    Is it just the modern way of building down to costs? with computer controlled minimum spec etc. I've an old old yacht 1967 vintage which kept me sane when my Linda got cancer. This morning I sailed with a friend who I've taught to sail ( well sort of) he has bought a very modern yacht when we put her on the mooring and had a cuppa the sun was shining on the hull and I kid you not you could see the reflection through the hull my old lady has grp hull at least 1/2" thick. All modern stuff must be made to the minimum standards, or am I wrong??
    No Fishy you are absolutely correct, the engineering department no longer has any say in the costing process, and have to cow-tow to the accountants, who can't tell the difference between quality components and utter shite.

Duckspeed very true, and they (accountants)are who we are in the hands of everything is costed down to the last penny. We are at the mercy of mammon as my gran would say.

I could live with the accountants shaving the pennies if I was buying a cheap bike where most of it is made in China. But paying top dollar for a 'premium' bike is a different matter. I'd sooner pay an extra £20 and have a decent paint job.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Good news. BMW UK have agreed to cover this under warranty. 100% parts and labour.

Thanks to Dick Lovett in Bristol for stating my case. Replacement will be completed in three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gog5y View Post
    We all love our BMW's and are committed to the brand, but come on BMW sort out the quality issues or you will loose this loyal band of brothers.
    Speak for yourself.

Brands are not things to be committed to.

I have an R1150GS, but I'm no more committed to BMW motorcycles than I am to my preferred brand of rum (Dillon Rhum Blanc Martinique, since you ask).
    There can only be 11 and I'm one.

My pics

Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post

I've got the new Altrider crud catcher on the front of the engine, which has quick release poppers, so you just pull it off for cleaning, then pop it back on, without having to use any tools. Great bit of kit.
    Where does one pur-chase this crud catcher from?

Quote Originally Posted by Mozz View Post
    Where does one pur-chase this crud catcher from?
    Adventure bike shop

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Don't be ..!

Commit yourself to a good bike, not a brand!
    I am not loyal to any brand, I'm loyal to myself and to having and owning a good bike. I've made it no secret that I've loved the last two KTM 's that I've owned, but that doesn't mean I'll stick with them out of 'loyalty' ...
    What will my next bike be ..?
    It'll be a good one that's made well, performs well and ticks all my boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Well said

Thank you ....

Sing us a song will yer.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Sing us a song will yer.
    Not if you're going to sing along too Tricky. I'm sorry .... but my dogs will hear it from here and start wailing ....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123