New Bike - Corrosion Test

My 3 month old R1200R went back to BMW last month with just 1,700 miles on the clock.
First was rust around rear subframe, followed by all the paint on the centre stand disappearing, then paint bubbling on rear rack and the final straw was paint bubbling on front alloy wheel.

From the dark side this was sent

Did you replace all bits under warranty or change bike ?

Rejected it and bought a Triumph

I had a centre stand off one of these which was going rusty. I went to clean it up and it didn't even have any etch or any other sort of primer on it, it was literaly just paint.
No wander the things are fucked with in no time when this is the case.

Ordered a new centrestand today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 GSA all mint apart from rust all over centre stand at 5,000 miles?
Not left outside for more than 3 weeks in that 2 year period and ACF50'd often.

Ordered a new centrestand today

If you intend keeping the bike I would suggest that you get it powder coated before you have it fitted.

If you intend keeping the bike I would suggest that you get it powder coated before you have it fitted.

Warranty so will prob be exactly the same next year

2300 Mile Inspection

Ok its now 7 weeks old and I've now done 2,300 miles (just come back from a 650 mile blast around the Lake District).

Riding has been in a lot of rain, no off-road, mostly tarmac albeit gritty and very bumpy and usually covered in mud.

Its been washed and about to go on another 200 mile trip around Herefordshire tomorrow.

So I thought I'd have a look around.

Notable Points.

1) The Centre Stand is taking a lot of stone chip damage. Its right in line with the front wheel throwing up gravel. This will absolutely need to be repainted. I've been down to Halfords (store) and bought some Hammerite Direct to Rust Black Paint. I'll be repainting this later this morning. No need for warranty claims, its a waste of your time and theirs, and will only go the same way very quickly. A lick of paint every now and then is whats needed. I might put a Lizard Skins neoprene mountain bike chain stay protector on it as well to be honest.

2) The rear swing arm is getting scratched as the centre stand is used. This'll polish out, but I might put some Carbon Fibre Vinyl on the offending area to give it a better chance.

3) The front Engine Case is peppered in tar spots and some scratches from washing (so it must attract a fair amount of grit), even with a front Fender Extender. I'm going to wax polish this and see how it responds to that.

4) Crevices, so many hard to reach places on this bike. Engine cooling vanes are a nightmare to get to, so I don't expect them to last before corrosion sets in. I might end up super cleaning those and repaint them in black using Hammerite paint again.

5) No signs of rust on frame or welds. All good so far.

6) I removed the frame protectors and all good behind them.

Here are the pictures...

Attachments

• Inspection 1.jpg
    Inspection 1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 467
  • Inspection 2.jpg
    Inspection 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 486
  • Inspection 3.jpg
    Inspection 3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 490
More Pics

Attachments

• Inspection 4.jpg
    Inspection 4.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 462
  • Inspection 5.jpg
    Inspection 5.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 497
  • Inspection 6.jpg
    Inspection 6.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 478
  • Inspection 7.jpg
    Inspection 7.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 519
Engine fins are easy to clean - use SDOC cleaner work into fins with paint brush of suitable size then wash off - simples :)

Centre stand will always get a bashing, nothing that you can do about it other than put some clear plastic self-adhesive protector onto it from day one - I have done this with previous bikes but never got round to it with my latest - I just keep the rust at bay with weekly ACF50 wipe over after cleaning.

Get some sort of crud catcher on the front. Either Cymarc, or the removeavle AltRider one.:thumb

Get some sort of crud catcher on the front. Either Cymarc, or the removeavle AltRider one.:thumb

Its fine, I've just wiped it over with car wax and the tar spots came off. No stone chips and no corrosion or scratches. Nice clean shiny paint like new.

I'd rather see whats going on for the time being.

My fender extender is doing its job.

PUT SOME BLACK CIRCULAR ELECTRICAL CONDUIT ON THE CENTRE STAND BAR, KEEPS IT GOOD AS NEW

Of course it does ...... and you don't have to get BMW upset or get them do anything about it and they just continue giggling about the dumb f*ck customers who fix the bikes themselves :blast

Thats bang out of order, same way as you could be called a whinging cry baby.

Are you a biker or a tourist?

The centre stand issue is a simple fix - Do It Yourself. Just get on with it and stop moaning.

Dread to think what you'd be like on a group tour..

Of course it does ...... and you don't have to get BMW upset or get them do anything about it and they just continue giggling about the dumb f*ck customers who fix the bikes themselves :blast

Pebble dashing the centrestand bar is impossible to stop, when the front wheel is cascading grit at it, constantly at 30-90mph

How can paint stay on it?

My solution is to fit either a TT centrestand plate or on a non GS bike some blacked, ribbed plastic circular electrical conduit - job done and my centrestand is perfect - no rust

I have a Honda too,when stood up my boots rub the frame paint....

Solution, tape up areas where this happens with electrical or silage tape and fit frame guards too

Result - no paint has come off the frame

Do I blame Honda, for not painting the frame better?

Of course I don't

You have to take some preventative measures your fucking self

Back
Top Bottom