New Bike - Corrosion Test

Thats bang out of order, same way as you could be called a whinging cry baby.

Are you a biker or a tourist?

The centre stand issue is a simple fix - Do It Yourself. Just get on with it and stop moaning.

Dread to think what you'd be like on a group tour..
It's not a fix. It's a fault. It's not up to standard. The quality is poor. It shouldn't be like that. It's not illegal to complain. It doesn't make you a bad person.
If you get a poor meal in a restaurant do you just eat it and then go leaving​ a big tip?

Why do people keep making excuses about BMW.

When we had all the troubles with the final drives and people came on here complaining, all the fan boys would gang up on them and tell them to stop moaning, telling them it's under warranty just get it fixed.

If you have a bad product you are entitled to moan and you're entitled to have it fixed.
Next thing will be toolkits with your iPhone so you can fix it yourself without having to bother the poor people in the Apple shop.

From the dark side this was sent

It's not a fix. It's a fault. It's not up to standard. The quality is poor. It shouldn't be like that. It's not illegal to complain. It doesn't make you a bad person.

Ok, firstly it is a fix. It isn't a fault. If you shot blast any painted steel work its going to lose its paint. ALL centre stands lose their paint at some point and start going rusty in places.

You can complain, it isn't illegal and you might not be a bad person. But some things make you look like a right cock for doing so.

If you get a poor meal in a restaurant do you just eat it and then go leaving​ a big tip?

Your analogy isn't accurate. If you were in a restaurant and the light fitting over your table was rusty, would you refuse to pay for your meal? That's what you're suggesting. It has absolutely no affect on your meal, the company you keep or your overall enjoyment of the situation. Just that your girlfriend would be wondering what the hell you were on about and how she could leave politely and go home.

BMW provided a motorcycle which does a lot of things for you. Some issues with the bike are not BMW specific, they are bike and weather generic.

When we had all the troubles with the final drives and people came on here complaining, all the fan boys would gang up on them and tell them to stop moaning, telling them it's under warranty just get it fixed.

If you have a bad product you are entitled to moan and you're entitled to have it fixed.

I've called three motorcycle industry manufacturers to court - PERSONALLY, and won every case. So I am fully capable of litigation and targeting bad workmanship, faults, defects and other issues. I'm not a fanboy.

But some things (like paint on the centre stand) isn't worth anybody's time and trouble. Just fix it yourself. Stop fucking whining about the small stuff and get on with it.

If the final drive was falling apart I'd be first in queue with my Gavel !!

4) Crevices, so many hard to reach places on this bike. Engine cooling vanes are a nightmare to get to, so I don't expect them to last before corrosion sets in. I might end up super cleaning those and repaint them in black using Hammerite paint again.

I struggle to understand why you'd accept painting the heads on a 17K bike with Hammerite chap, if they can't stand a winters use (and many have not) then surely there is fault in the preparation and or finish? They are pretty easy to clean though with the right brush, and a bike / pet drier helps immensely to.

When my K16 centre stand was done under warranty, I got the replacement from the dealer and sent it to Triple S for powder coating, some parts of the new stand had no paint on them whatsoever, but on a bike that is running close to 18K, the question is really, should I have had to do that?

I struggle to understand why you'd accept painting the heads on a 17K bike with Hammerite chap, if they can't stand a winters use (and many have not) then surely there is fault in the preparation and or finish? They are pretty easy to clean though with the right brush, and a bike / pet drier helps immensely to.

When my K16 centre stand was done under warranty, I got the replacement from the dealer and sent it to Triple S for powder coating, some parts of the new stand had no paint on them whatsoever, but on a bike that is running close to 18K, the question is really, should I have had to do that?

If I had a brand new Porsche GT and drove it down the motorway at 150 mph and got home to find paint chips on the bonnet. Is that acceptable?

If the paint on my Porsche GT is not able to deal with 150 mph stone chips should I ask for my money back? Or have the car resprayed by Porsche?

I already know UK Salted Roads are an absolute killer for motorcycles, I've seen it time and time again. Is that BMW's fault? I would blame the Council actually, they're the ones spreading this stuff around.

Why do you struggle to understand me wanting to support hard hitting areas on my bike with my own paint? When others spend hundreds on Mudguards, Protectors, Vinyl Film, Guards, and a myriad of other farkles to protect their bike.

Whats the difference?

Cleaned and Polished

Cleaned and Polished the Engine Cover.

All came up great, so the Fender Extender is doing its job.

Attachments

• Inspection 8.jpg
    Inspection 8.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 521
  • Inspection 9.jpg
    Inspection 9.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 513
  • Inspection 10.jpg
    Inspection 10.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 517
Decided to Repaint my Centre Stand with Hammerite Smooth Black. Lightly sanded it first.

Give it a fighting chance of not going rusty.

Also, ordered a Neoprene Lizard Skins velcro protector for it. That'll prevent further gravel damage.

Don't need to be precious with the painting, Hammerite Smooth will sort itself out during drying. Looks good as new and better protected.

Took 20 minutes if that. :thumb2

Attachments

• Paint 1.jpg
    Paint 1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 567
  • Paint 2.jpg
    Paint 2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 572
  • Paint 3.jpg
    Paint 3.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 542
Finished painting, job done.

Quicker than a phone call to BMW, never mind getting the bike to them, hanging around and travel time back and forth, just for the same thing to happen again in another 7 weeks.

Attachments

• Paint 5.jpg
    Paint 5.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 558
  • Paint 6.jpg
    Paint 6.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 563
Right then, onwards and upwards....

See where the next 3700 miles takes me over Summer (leading up to its second service).

If I had a brand new Porsche GT and drove it down the motorway at 150 mph and got home to find paint chips on the bonnet. Is that acceptable?

If the paint on my Porsche GT is not able to deal with 150 mph stone chips should I ask for my money back? Or have the car resprayed by Porsche?

I already know UK Salted Roads are an absolute killer for motorcycles, I've seen it time and time again. Is that BMW's fault? I would blame the Council actually, they're the ones spreading this stuff around.

Why do you struggle to understand me wanting to support hard hitting areas on my bike with my own paint? When others spend hundreds on Mudguards, Protectors, Vinyl Film, Guards, and a myriad of other farkles to protect their bike.

Whats the difference?

You are missing the point, the new stand had unpainted surfaces on it, so would you accept your Porsche GT if it had an unpainted nosecone, or was only partly painted, that's my point.

You should have seen my RT after half a winter, with ACF50, Dynax, Athena fender extender, etc etc etc, it had over 10K's worth of Warranty work, you simply can't defend that from a premium manufacturer.

I'm only using the centre stand as an example, not pinning everything on it's poor quality. I've had 2 LC Boxers, and 3 Engine replacements due to corrosion. My K1600 and R Nine T appear to be faring much better, but the R Nine T has also had a replacement engine because the sump bolts were coming loose under their own steam, it turned out to be crank cases machined out of tolerance. 3 bikes, 4 engines ....I guess it must be me who's the problem.....couldn't be slipping standards at all could it?

As long as they consider to honour warranty claims and put things right then fair enough, I'd just prefer it if it wasn't so.

You are missing the point, the new stand had unpainted surfaces on it, so would you accept your Porsche GT if it had an unpainted nosecone, or was only partly painted, that's my point.

You should have seen my RT after half a winter, with ACF50, Dynax, Athena fender extender, etc etc etc, it had over 10K's worth of Warranty work, you simply can't defend that from a premium manufacturer.

I'm only using the centre stand as an example, not pinning everything on it's poor quality. I've had 2 LC Boxers, and 3 Engine replacements due to corrosion. My K1600 and R Nine T appear to be faring much better, but the R Nine T has also had a replacement engine because the sump bolts were coming loose under their own steam, it turned out to be crank cases machined out of tolerance. 3 bikes, 4 engines ....I guess it must be me who's the problem.....couldn't be slipping standards at all could it?

As long as they consider to honour warranty claims and put things right then fair enough, I'd just prefer it if it wasn't so.

I'm not missing the point.

This is a completely different point.

If you buy a new centre stand (or new replacement) and it doesn't have paint on it, of course you would complain and quite right.

If you have damage to your motorcycle caused by manufacturing defects, then again you should complain.

But if you know how to avoid minor defects so you don't have to go through all that trouble, why wouldn't you? Especially if the costs are insignificant.. like applying your own paint here and there.

I remember a Judge chastising two parties in an Audi TT vehicle dispute.

The owner spent £100,000 in fee's

The defending dealer spent £100,000 in defense fee's

The car was only worth £30,000

Judge wanted to know where the Common Sense was, the whole thing was ridiculous.

Apply some common sense.

But if you know how to avoid minor defects so you don't have to go through all that trouble, why wouldn't you? Especially if the costs are insignificant.. like applying your own paint here and there.

Maybe because if no one complains, then BMW will see that as a precedent and then someone will say at a production meeting " just slap a bit of paint on it, the suckers will paint it themselves and we can save 10 euros per bike " Thin end of the wedge etc.

Maybe because if no one complains, then BMW will see that as a precedent and then someone will say at a production meeting " just slap a bit of paint on it, the suckers will paint it themselves and we can save 10 euros per bike " Thin end of the wedge etc.

But it could be argued that if everyone complained about every small detail, BMW would just ignore everything you say and put it down to demographics.... ie whingers or not knowing what the hell they are doing.

BMW already know their target market are likely to be the buyers with highest expectations and most likely to complain, cash rich and dreamers. The sort you just can't please 100%

My dealer already mentioned to me he has customers walk in actually asking for Ewan McGregors style bike.

So it'll end up whingers will stop them listening to the more serious issues, which really need sorting.

I'm not saying you shouldn't complain. But really.... Ask not what your bike can do for you, but ask what you can do for your bike.

Right then, onwards and upwards....

See where the next 3700 miles takes me over Summer (leading up to its second service).

well thats all we need in here cnuts like you taking responsibility for their own machine and using common sense:D not like the twat who hadnt even bought one and was complaining about corrosion ffs

well thats all we need in here cnuts like you taking responsibility for their own machine and using common sense:D not like the twat who hadnt even bought one and was complaining about corrosion ffs

Ha. Fucking liability I am... woohooo.

But some things (like paint on the centre stand) isn't worth anybody's time and trouble. Just fix it yourself. Stop fucking whining about the small stuff and get on with it.

Good man! Absolutely agree. All vehicles need a bit of TLC once in while. I also went the hammerite route knowing it will rust, even before the chipping and rusting started.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I have come to wonder if BMW are not purposely prepping their bikes in this poor way to make them look rugged and aged in fitting with the mold of a true adventure rider ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I get a bike I may strip it and send frame to be galvanised ... and re powder coated. At least that will not disintegrate then ...

If I get a bike I may strip it and send frame to be galvanised ... and re powder coated. At least that will not disintegrate then ...

BMW should simply offer this as an option. Full stop.

Yes it should be standard, but if their manufacturing cost pushes the bike into an uncompetitive price point, make it an option.

You'd then probably have to wait for the build, but it would keep their costs down and facilitate certain environments.

I'm wondering how much extra weight that would add to the bike?

Give the consumer the option.

Call it the GS Extreme Environment. Acid Rain, Nuclear Fallout, Salt Mine type holidays (or a UK Winter Break).

Free BMW Hasmat Suit with every purchase.

Back
Top Bottom