New Bike - Corrosion Test

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right... I'm accepting this corrosion challenge.

I've just received a brand new 2017 GSA. Mint condition.

It'll be used all year round by me and I'll be hand washing it as I do with all my bikes.

Water hose pipe, no jet washing. Car wash and wax on paintwork, ACF50 on bolt heads.

Usually hand washed after every ride, but never left more than a week without being cleaned after a ride.

Its stored in an integral garage to the house but its not heated or climate controlled, but has reasonable ventilation.

Bike is based in West Midland UK, and all the variable temps and weather conditions that brings.

Its got rear mudsling, front fender extender, X-Head engine guards and thats it.

I'll report back on here the second I start seeing rust or corrosion or anything outstandingly negative.

So far its 6 weeks old, 2000 miles up (and currently on 4 day road tour). All good.

Could be a interesting comparison here.
My GSA was collected mid March so a similar age, only got 1500 miles on it so far but I ride year round too and keep it in a concrete panel garage.
Other than the ride from the dealers back home it didn't see the road until all year biker worked their acf 50 magic.
I wash mine when it looks dirty and in winter I don't actually wash it as such but it gets hosed off after every ride.
It will be getting a full re application of ACF50 in November so it's fresh for the sale to hit the roads.
Could definitely be an interesting comparison of corrosion.

Keep a written and photo diary , will come in handy if it does corrode

To make this a proper test we need someone that lives near the coast with a 2017 bike that's ridden all year round. It cannot be coated in ACF50 etc, only washed when it's in for a service and left outside without a cover. Any offers

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

To make this a proper test we need someone that lives near the coast with a 2017 bike that's ridden all year round. It cannot be coated in ACF50 etc, only washed when it's in for a service and left outside without a cover. Any offers

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

A valid test indeed but there's a tiny flaw in the plan. Kept in those conditions it's unlikely to make it to the 6,000 service and thus the first wash :)

It'll be used all year round by me and I'll be hand washing it as I do with all my bikes.

Water hose pipe, no jet washing. Car wash and wax on paintwork, ACF50 on bolt heads.

Usually hand washed after every ride, but never left more than a week without being cleaned after a ride.

Its stored in an integral garage to the house but its not heated or climate controlled, but has reasonable ventilation.

Bike is based in West Midland UK, and all the variable temps and weather conditions that brings.

Its got rear mudsling, front fender extender, X-Head engine guards and thats it.

I'll report back on here the second I start seeing rust or corrosion or anything outstandingly negative.

So far its 6 weeks old, 2000 miles up (and currently on 4 day road tour). All good.

Greeat idea. Any chance of an update Steve, has it rotted away yet.

:D. :D

Should I worry, I've moved the butter to the the beer fridge in the garage. Anything else I should do?

Should I worry, I've moved the butter to the the beer fridge in the garage. Anything else I should do?

I might be wrong so check with Mr Boxer but I think your repositioning of butter affects security not the resistance to corrosion. :nenau

Could be a interesting comparison here.
My GSA was collected mid March so a similar age, only got 1500 miles on it so far but I ride year round too and keep it in a concrete panel garage.
Other than the ride from the dealers back home it didn't see the road until all year biker worked their acf 50 magic.
I wash mine when it looks dirty and in winter I don't actually wash it as such but it gets hosed off after every ride.
It will be getting a full re application of ACF50 in November so it's fresh for the sale to hit the roads.
Could definitely be an interesting comparison of corrosion.

Why don't you wash it in winter? Make sure you keep reapplying ACF50 all through the winter, if that's your preferred anti corrosion peace of mind, as it WILL get washed off by the rain in the winter.

Is it BMW butter?

Why don't you wash it in winter? Make sure you keep reapplying ACF50 all through the winter, if that's your preferred anti corrosion peace of mind, as it WILL get washed off by the rain in the winter.

There isn't enough hours in the day to wash it after every use.

My last 4 bikes have been fine with a single application of ACF50 in November. That's a yam, a Kwak, a Harley and my last one the triumph Explorer.

ACF50 shouldn't just rinse off with rain or hose water if it has been applied properly but adding washing products will remove it.

If this one rusts worse than the rest then so be it.

Sounds good. Mine has just passed 8k miles in 7 months, and there is no corrosion anywhere. Headers still like a mirror! Look after them, and they look after you.

I live on a small rock surrounded by the sea (the bay of St Malo) will that do?

Picked up my new Rallye on 21st March. So far 1300 miles including a weekend in moist Normandy last week. Ridding it to Copenhagen next month. Minty fresh at the moment........

i-2n3Bkjg-L.jpg

Underneath all of that grime is a very thorough coating of ACF50. Come November, when salt goes down, it'll be put to hibernation after its first wash and refreshed with ACF 50.

It won't rot now as its covered in shite... from me!!!.

Had my first experience of The Hardknott Pass today in Lake District (steepest road in England 1:3). Full on rain storm, wet roads and my sorry ass pretending I know what I'm doing up there on a GSA.

Now on GSA Level 2.

Bonus Award 1 - Hardknott Pants Filler Achievement.

Bonus Award 2 - Sideways across Cattle Grid Highside Defeat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardknott_Pass

Mines 8 months old 6,500 miles through winter, NO ACF 50 at all and mint. Take care of her and wonder what some peeps are doing to get corrosion issues ?

Really pleased others are contributing to this thread.

Might be useful if you describe your environment, world location, storage conditions and type of bike care you adopt.

Any noteable conditions that are causing the start of corrosion, and which parts on bike start to go off first.

See if any patterns develop.

My bike is used as a commuter every and a plaything all other times. It is garaged every night (unless away) which is well ventilated.

I live on an island 5 x 9 miles surrounded by salty sea and I work at the harbour so it is parked There every day. I spent a lot of money on my bike so I like to keep it clean and enjoy doing so.

My previous bike was a 2010 TC. I sold it in March to get the Rallye. I had it for 4 years. It had 1500 miles on it when I bought it and 20,000 when I sold it. I washed it every week with diluted muck off and dried it off with Turtle wax 'Wax it wet' with a micro cloth and always started it after washing to get everything I couldn't dry hot so it would dry off. I would occasionally spray some of the bits with muck off bike spray (which I suspect is similar to afc50 or other things folks on here use). The bike was immaculate when I sold it with no corrosion. The first person that viewed it bought it for my asking price which, incidentally was the same as I paid for it 4 years earlier (albeit with some extra farkles added).

I am cleaning this one the same way.

Mines 8 months old 6,500 miles through winter, NO ACF 50 at all and mint. Take care of her and wonder what some peeps are doing to get corrosion issues ?

Spoke to an inmate at Dent who had a very nice GSA and that's exactly what the dealer accused him of (not looking after his bike) yet he has a couple of other jap bikes that he looks after exactly the same way , one he's had for ten yrs , with no corrosion. I think he said at had a new engine and gearbox at under 6k and he was now requesting a new rear subframe as the paint was literally falling off it :(

Why some have issues and some don't seems to be a bit of a mystery????

This might be why..

Attachments

• RenderedContent-CA92F3CB-10E5-4A0A-BCEE-9140FDEF1B4A.JPG
    RenderedContent-CA92F3CB-10E5-4A0A-BCEE-9140FDEF1B4A.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 856
  • RenderedContent-9D962856-E357-49E5-BC74-DA960A1B81E9.JPG
    RenderedContent-9D962856-E357-49E5-BC74-DA960A1B81E9.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 859
  • RenderedContent-C677219C-EC66-45B9-8497-2585A2976115.JPG
    RenderedContent-C677219C-EC66-45B9-8497-2585A2976115.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 839
  • RenderedContent-0F663E2E-D90D-426B-AF01-B7430B7B99B4.JPG