Coil stick melted!

Slime Bomb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A while ago my 1150gs adv was not quite right. Running a bit lumpy on start up and a little hesitant on acceleration. So, having had this about 40,000mls ago I whipped out the coil sticks. All looked fine so changed the spark plugs and everything was good..well, so I thought. It came back again so, coils out again and I noticed this on one of them :eek:.

Anyone had them go like this before?

Attachments

• WP_20170519_12_00_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170519_12_00_36_Pro.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 239
  • WP_20170519_12_00_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170519_12_00_03_Pro.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 237
That's what happens if the coil stick has failed and been left in place for a long period.

They can catch fire or expand and look like someones sprayed a can of insulating foam over the rocker cover.

The wiring and connector plug can also burn and why BMW offers a repair section of wiring for just such a scenario. .

That's what happens if the coil stick has failed and been left in place for a long period.

They can catch fire or expand and look like someones sprayed a can of insulating foam over the rocker cover.

The wiring and connector plug can also burn and why BMW offers a repair section of wiring for just such a scenario. .

Would anyone recommend putting a thin smear of silicone grease or copper slip on the outside of the stick before fitting or just dry and clean?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put silicone grease on mine. Although the ones I have currently installed, seem better made. think someone said they are the same as the 1200's?

Last year, while being MOT'D one went up in smoke

Back
Top Bottom