Battery Tray.........

Banditsteve

Reaction score
Hi All,
2008 R1200GS....
I have read and digested all the posts on battery replacement (no pun intended) and having had a bad experience with a Motobatt battery a few years ago, I have decided to go for the Yuasa. As far as I am aware, I have read that if I take the battery out there is a tray to remove which allows fitment of a bigger battery with more CCA which is what I am after, but as u can see by the photo, there doesn't seem to be a 1" platform tray on mine so I will go for the standard size one but my question is, the Yuasa one listed for my 2008 R1200Gs is only 12ah but Bmw list standard one as 14Ah although the Yuasa YTX 14 HBS which is the heavy duty but same physical size has 240cca which is higher than the original spec one even though it is a lower Ah?
Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Don't wanna buy the wrong Ah one in case it is wrong. And do all 1200GS's have the "removable tray" under the battery?
Cheers all,
Steve
fe43ce60476b90d011672f0641323fab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the bad experience with the Motobatt Steve?

Is it not the case the GS has the smaller battery with the spacer and the GSA has the big battery with no spacer?

I don't think so Marki, my 2013 GSA that I've had from new is on the original battery and has the spacer fitted......... Not so sure though that Steve's battery pic above doesn't have the spacer still fitted as well, as that is what the silver spring clip latches under.... Steve, have you actually removed the battery yet and had a look ?? The spacer is about 20mm thick or so and is pretty much the exact same size and colour of the original battery.

Roy.

My original BMW branded battery for my 2008 R1200GSA was made by Exide, an AGM type which lasted four years and now replaced with a Motobatt AGM cell without any issues.

My old 2004 R1200GS had a plain lead-acid cell, it was replaced by an Odyssey AGM cell after four years again without issue (at time of trade-in).

Can I also ask what issues you had with a Motobatt cell ??

They do, unless it was removed previous !

Why not consider Lithium ion instead.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

So judging by the pic Tractors are go, has the tray been removed from mine? I have only had the bike for 6 months and it is my first GS so I don't know the history of it and nothing to judge it against :/

What was the bad experience with the Motobatt Steve?

Had a Motobatt on my Bandit for a couple of years KMD and the whole battery casinf seemed to have swollen. i.e. Bowed outwards which was a bit disconcerting so swapped it just to be on the safe side. Maybe just an isolated incident but once bitten twice shy etc ;)

I don't think so Marki, my 2013 GSA that I've had from new is on the original battery and has the spacer fitted......... Not so sure though that Steve's battery pic above doesn't have the spacer still fitted as well, as that is what the silver spring clip latches under.... Steve, have you actually removed the battery yet and had a look ?? The spacer is about 20mm thick or so and is pretty much the exact same size and colour of the original battery.

Roy.

Not removed the battery as yet Roy but added a couple more photos which shows the battery is sat on what appears to be the casing with nothing removable underneath it. I have also added a pic of the battery height in comparison to the frame rail etc as I am now starting to wonder if the tray has been removed but still has a standard height battery in it? The battery that is fitted is 145mm high but not sure if the taller battery will fit under the seat and still be able to get the securing strap round it? I assume the strap still fits the taller battery? Sorry for all the questions ;)
e464e9189c3a74f29a9b447a4d34b1ed.jpg
6a9df263bbc31ca72979ea602c79f3aa.jpg

Had a Motobatt on my Bandit for a couple of years KMD and the whole battery casinf seemed to have swollen. i.e. Bowed outwards which was a bit disconcerting so swapped it just to be on the safe side. Maybe just an isolated incident but once bitten twice shy etc ;)

That could be the fault of the alternator or reg/rec rather than the battery itself, or due to extreme cold.

How is the replacement battery doing?

If replacing your battery on a GS/GSA make extra sure that the seat front height adjusting bar cannot short across the battery terminals, it may be worth wrapping some insulating tape around it.

That could be the fault of the alternator or reg/rec rather than the battery itself, or due to extreme cold.

How is the replacement battery doing?

If replacing your battery on a GS/GSA make extra sure that the seat front height adjusting bar cannot short across the battery terminals, it may be worth wrapping some insulating tape around it.

Cheers Pukmeister. Yes it wasn't necessarily a fault with the battery but the replacement has been fine for a couple of years. And with regard to the seat bar, that is what is concerning me as peeking down between the seat and "tank" there doesn't seem to be much room to stick a taller battery in there.
I am just concerned that the Yuasa "Heavy Duty" battery which has more cca (240 up from 200) is only a 12 Ah whereas the original spec one is 14 Ah?

It looks like it is still there, a lithium battery comes with giant lego spacers (easiest description ) and can be balanced on three fingers.

They're not much more in cost than an agm

One gives more oomph to start the engine, always good with a big twin.

The other how much reserve gets stored, useful if your alternator stops working.

It looks like, from second set of picture's: no spacer there.

If, the original battery bracket no longer fits, it isn't to difficult to make up another one.

Lead acid batteries are cheap per cranking amp but the cells get clogged with hard sulphate when left unused. They also heavy and can only deliver about 1/3 of their total charge capacity. If discharged too far they will be permanently damaged. In cold weather you get one chance to start the engine. If it fails to go first time you are stuck.

LiFePo batteries are light weight, do not suffer any harm when left unused. 10% loss of charge over 12 months in storage. They can be run flat without damage. In cold weather they might fail to start the engine. But a few tries will warm the battery. Once warmed it will start the engine.

A really good lead acid like the Odyssey will cost about the same as a mid range LiFePo battery. To me its a no brainer. You also do not need (and should never use) an Optimate charger.

There's another option. Rather than get something big enough to crank the engine in cold weather, get one suitable for summer use. Then get a booster pack big enough to start engines as well as charge phones and laptops. Total cost will be a bit higher but its a whole lot more useful. If you never use the bike in winter, theres no need for a big capacity battery.

There's another option. Rather than get something big enough to crank the engine in cold weather, get one suitable for summer use. Then get a booster pack big enough to start engines as well as charge phones and laptops. Total cost will be a bit higher but its a whole lot more useful. If you never use the bike in winter, theres no need for a big capacity battery.

That's pretty dubious 'advice'.
Deliberately get a battery incapable of starting the bike in cold weather and carry round a booster pack?

If you can't afford a properly sized LiPo battery then I'd suggest you just get a properly sized AGM battery.

What a load of old cobblers. Can you imagine popping out for a ride early doors on a chilly summers morning and having to start the bike with a booster pack?

Why create a problem when one doesn't exist :confused:

What a load of old cobblers. Can you imagine popping out for a ride early doors on a chilly summers morning and having to start the bike with a booster pack?

Why create a problem when one doesn't exist :confused:

He does talk some shite, our Bendy

He does talk some shite, our Bendy

Yet again can't think out of the box.

The bike used all year around will need a bigger battery. I said that.

Used only in warmer weather will be fine with a smaller battery.

Those who want to try a smaller battery all year around are not really taking a risk for winter starting (In UK at least). And there is a get out option if they do have trouble.

Why is that so hard to get?

the high cranking amps yuasa is ok, you have the taller battery,
halfords trade card price makes it cheap,
Roamer,

Back
Top Bottom