Ardennes / Battle of the Bulge etc

Wapping

Reaction score
As part of a jaunt to Clervaux later in the year, a friend of mine wanted to see some WW2 'stuff', which is not an uncommon request.

The problem is that not a lot of people realise that, like the D-Day beaches, the battle's front stretched well over 100 miles north to south and then up to 50 miles or more east to west. Unless you all but limit yourself to Bastogne, its (excellent) museum and memorial, it's a huge area to cover. But, not one to avoid a challenge I thought I'd make a start at locating the sites for not just the well known locations but some of the others, maybe less well known. In short, try to take bods to where something 'happened' and provide a bit of narrative on what it was. Inevitably there will have to be some compromises not least as some of the sites are in the middle of fields, woods or now under housing estates but all together it might make a useful (and hopefully interesting) project to have a crack at.

For example, right up to the north there's the site of the Elsenborn Ridge battle, centred on the twin villages of Rocherath-Krinkelt, which are still there. But it stretches up to Monschau and includes the bloody clashes at 'Heartbreak Crossroads' up the road from Krinkelt-Rocherath. I have managed to guestimate from various descriptions where the crossroads should be and can mark them in.

In short, it will be a sort of labour of love but also a good excuse to read some books, go to see some sites (hopefully) and get to really understand what went on.

If anyone has some good waypoints for sites (well known or otherwise) - Garmin or Google maps or just a hand drawn - picures or news - ping them up here in this thread please. I'll then try to work them all in.

Cheers

Richard

PS If nothing else, this brief article shows the complexity of the operations and the scale of the fighting; sometimes very localised and sometimes swinging over many miles. Not least it highlights that it wasn't just about Bastogne and C Company of the 101st Airborne.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Elsenborn_Ridge

I intend to use some of BaseCamp's ability to hold data within individual waypoints. Things like descriptions in the text box and web links. It might also be worthwhile seeing whether there may be other tools and features available within Garmin Adventures, particularly for linking in pictures or films.

It'll be a learning curve, no matter what.

Some tanks, graveyards and museums

Apologies for a bit of a "Dump" of way-points (provided the attachment works) without the descriptions that you are looking for. I hope they help. I'm off to do a few of these in June. The roads around the Hurtgenwald are fantastic!

Attachments

• Ardennes.gpx
    21.1 KB · Views: 196
Ardennes battle of the Bulge visits

Gents

one of my favourite subjects. WW2.

apologies if you already know this.:aidan

http://www.december44.com/fr/histoire.htm

This is a cracking little museum, you could spend a good few hours here.

It's in a tiny village called La Gleize, near Stoumont its fairly cheap to enter and has the added benefit of a King Tiger tank in the car park. Its a colossal beast.

head north out of Bastogne on the N30 all the little villages have remnants of something. Stop off at the woods by Foy there's a wood cutters track after the memorial on the left. Follow your nose in the woods as if you're walking to Foy. Where the tree line breaks you'll find the foxholes are still there. This is not advertised or sign posted.

Another cracking visit, depending on time and direction, is Fort Eben Emael (80 Kms North west of Monschau)

http://www.fort-eben-emael.be/en/

again apologies if you already know these sites.

I'd be interested in a trip if its open etc

anyway.....

cheers

Clive

Gents

It's in a tiny village called La Gleize, near Stoumont its fairly cheap to enter and has the added benefit of a King Tiger tank in the car park. Its a colossal beast.

head north out of Bastogne on the N30 all the little villages have remnants of something. Stop off at the woods by Foy there's a wood cutters track after the memorial on the left. Follow your nose in the woods as if you're walking to Foy. Where the tree line breaks you'll find the foxholes are still there. This is not advertised or sign posted.

Another cracking visit, depending on time and direction, is Fort Eben Emael (80 Kms North west of Monschau)

anyway.....

cheers

Clive

Thanks for that, I'm going over there next month, I'll have a look at the museum.

Gents

anyway.....

cheers

Clive

Thanks for that..... It's now in my satnav .....Got a little trip planned in the first week of July..... A night in Ypres, a couple of nights in Bastogne and one in Arras, so the Dec 44 museum will be a good place to visit :thumb

That museum is pretty good, the KIng Tiger is quite imposing to, see if you can spot where they repaired the barrel :) I have the 501st PIR Easy Company aka Band of Brothers trenches at Foy as a waypoint for basecamp if it's of any use? As well as other WW2 places of interest around the area.

The book on Kampfgruppe Peiper is an interesting read and documents all the locations of the major engagements.

That museum is pretty good, the KIng Tiger is quite imposing to, see if you can spot where they repaired the barrel :) I have the 501st PIR Easy Company aka Band of Brothers trenches at Foy as a waypoint for basecamp if it's of any use? As well as other WW2 places of interest around the area.

The book on Kampfgruppe Peiper is an interesting read and documents all the locations of the major engagements.
thanks for that....

Managed to sort out the co-ordinates for the trenches, but if you have anything else its always handy :thumb2

My preferred route through that regions is La Roche (liberated by the Black Watch) to Houffalize (where the British and American forces met) down to Bastogne - like this

Which naturally misses out loads of good bits but has the virtue of being time efficient and all three towns are lovely...

There's a great little museum at Overloon in the Netherlands which is worth a visit. It's not too far from Arnhem either, so could be combined with a visit to the museum there too

dd7810c5820c892a85a551b41361e55f.jpg

191739081c4c66363f49c9c86127f3ed.jpg

1101402c1621a21701fa8ff2e60f8fde.jpg

Overloon is a great museum, calling in there again on the trip I'm doing in July, then heading down to Hurtgen Wald and spending a day doing some of the Kall Trail, mostly by foot as it's not going to be fun on a K16 :)

My preferred route through that regions is La Roche (liberated by the Black Watch) to Houffalize (where the British and American forces met) down to Bastogne - like this

Which naturally misses out loads of good bits but has the virtue of being time efficient and all three towns are lovely...

Plus one for Houffalize. Very picturesque. Full of cafes so a great stop off

Clive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overloon is a great museum, calling in there again on the trip I'm doing in July, then heading down to Hurtgen Wald and spending a day doing some of the Kall Trail, mostly by foot as it's not going to be fun on a K16 :)

Agreed, this is a gem of a museum.
Found this whilst touring the Arnhem & Nijmegen bridges

Clive

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...uxembourg_Province_The_Ardennes_Wallonia.html

Bastogne Barracks ... inside the Belgian Military Barracks ... I seem to get the impression the official tourist management team in Bastogne don't want visitors here as there's nothing in it for them. This place houses a magnificent tank display and WW2 vehicle museum/working repair shop.

Also the command point at the time with a fabulous tribute to the 101st.

An absolute must for you boys wanting to visit something off the beaten track.

Check visitor times and allow 2 - 3hrs.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...uxembourg_Province_The_Ardennes_Wallonia.html

Bastogne Barracks ... inside the Belgian Military Barracks ... I seem to get the impression the official tourist management team in Bastogne don't want visitors here as there's nothing in it for them. This place houses a magnificent tank display and WW2 vehicle museum/working repair shop.

Also the command point at the time with a fabulous tribute to the 101st.

An absolute must for you boys wanting to visit something off the beaten track.

Check visitor times and allow 2 - 3hrs.

Well knock me down with a feather....

Been to Bastogne many times for exactly this sort of trip. Never heard mention or seen a flyer, advert or poster etc for this.

Thanks, another reason to return

Cheers

Clive

It's interesting where the search for sites and 'stuff' takes you. For example, here's the site of Parker's Crossroads, not to be confused with the battle of the same name in Tennessee during the American Civil War.

http://ardennes.secondworldwar.nl/monuments-baraque-de-fraiture.php#.WSZ55JF4WfA

With a bit of searching, leads to: http://wikimapia.org/10511899/Parker-s-Crossroads-Baraque-de-Fraiture and more.

I've been through that junction loads of times, I may even have seen but not stopped at the memorial as I hooned past. If nothing else, it highlights the huge area the battle was fought over, the multiple armies, divisions, battalions and regiments involved. Not least, that it wasn't all about Bastogne.

When I finish my go at mapping out the sites, I'll drop routes from say ADAC over the top. Great roads and 'stuff', just what bikermates want.

Back
Top Bottom