BT Home-Hub Settings

Grizzly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok Guys,
After a recent "incident" with our Amazon account I've been checking/reviewing our home digital world:eek:

One thing that crops up when I do a "Smart Scan" of the system is that the wi-fi encryption protocol on the Bt Homehub is weak.
It's an old white one (generation 1 or 1.5?) and it's on it's original default settings:rob
Before I start messing about with the Hub Manager settings for WPA etc, what is the collective advice from the resident experts on where to go with set up?
I live in a rural situation and I don't believe any hacking has been done at this end - but just trying to make sure I tighten up what I can.

Thanks in advance for any advice.......................Grizzly:beerjug:

Change your home hub!

Most are set to default everything!, thats how they can do updates remotely ;)

Home hub's are now at V4/5...

Are you fibre (VDSL) or ADSL?

Fibre is now an integrated modem / router the homehub V5

So if you were on an early separate modem & separate router, it may be worth a change

With my home hub -

WIFI name - changed .. make it unique to you ...

WIFI Channel - get an app for your phone and scan the channels -- move your wifi channel to the one that got the least neighbours wifi on them ;)

Ch7 will be the default & busy as F!

Password - biggest one here --- Change the password . Letters numbers symbols (if allowed) the more the better

I think its 10 - 13 - 24

Dont tell anyone... if the kids moan, tell them to - do one, pay the bill, or move out.

Seen the advert, i'm the master of the remote?? Well your the master of the I.P...

Set a new password, and go into each device an set the passwords on them...

If you can, fix the IP addresses of the devices that connect, and get the names set.

that way if an unnamed on unknown device connects, it gets booted!

Check out the website "Shields up" by Gibson research, check what your letting the WWW see from your end.

The HH is OK, but has its limitations ...

If your on ADSL change to a newer 3rd party router , or if you feel brave root the HH and install DD-WRT

Mart

Hi Mart,
Thanks for the lengthy and informative reply:thumb
We're on ADSL and the two neighbours within 100m don't even have computers - let alone wi-fi!
There's a brand new V4 hub for sale on here just now - so I'll maybe go for that and try for a better set up on a newer hub rather than faf around with the old one

Cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

BT are on Hub 6 now.
If you're with BT why not call them to see what deal they can offer you on a new contract, they may have one that includes a free Hub 6.

BT are on Hub 6 now.
If you're with BT why not call them to see what deal they can offer you on a new contract, they may have one that includes a free Hub 6.

Or jump ship to a decent ISP. Pretty much any of them are better than BT. You'll save enough money to buy a proper router that you can have full control over.

Or jump ship to a decent ISP. Pretty much any of them are better than BT. You'll save enough money to buy a proper router that you can have full control over.

A fair point, but I'll just stick with them at the moment. I'm getting a new V4 Homehub from on here, so that will automatically upgrade us to WPA2 etc. To be honest i don't think we have a problem at this end, but development and changes sneak ahead of you (doesn't seem long ago you had to hang up on the phone if you wanted to go on the internet):rob and this is a fine chance to generally upgrade hardware, passwords and logins etc.

Cheers.........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom