Cruise control deactivates on Indicating right

WaterMonkey

Reaction score
Anybody else had their cruise control deactivate when you indicate right? Doesn't do it when indicating left.
I've checked the manual and it shouldn't do it.
Any ideas?

It's not something that should happen, the fact that the two controls are on the same cluster suggests a visit to the dealer for a new......If drenching in wd40 does not work.

I had it on my l/c gsa. I bwlive its a known problem. Fixed under warrenty JJH

Switch gear is f****d, need to be replaced, mine did the same, lucky for me I had the extended warranty so it only cost me the £50 excess

Anybody else had their cruise control deactivate when you indicate right? Doesn't do it when indicating left.
I've checked the manual and it shouldn't do it.
Any ideas?
Hi WaterMonkey, have had exact same problem, bit scary on a Motorway at high speed when you indicate to come out and suddenly decelerate! Explained it to dealer and they said it's Faulty Switch Gear and the whole left side switchgear was changed under warranty without quibble. (Second time left switchgear changed albeit first time wasn't cruise control related)

Thanks very much everyone. I washed the bike yesterday so maybe water has got in. Booked in for a service Saturday so I'll see if they can fix it then.
Cheers all

Out of curiosity, has anybody taken apart their left hand switch-gear to try and clean-up / fix? My cruise control and info button are playing-up but now out of warranty (tried goodwill with BMW but refused). Just wonder if it's relatively straightforward to dismantle and repair as can't bring myself to pay for a new one full price. Guess there is always flee-bay if it's straightforward to fit a new one...

Hasn't there been a cluster of left side switch problems on GS & RS? Certainly reading about it on the RS forum. I bet water and road grime is getting in, creating shorts (or at least paths of low resistance) between conductors.

Can you simply replace the switches? Or do the new ones need programming in? I had new left side switch gear which didn't resolve the issue then had to have a new received module. That definitely required linking up the BMW computer to make it work. Imagine that, middle of Mongolia and nothing on the left switch gear works and can only be repaired by hooking it up to the BMW computer. It's a go anywhere bike...... as long as you're within breakdown distance of a dealer....

Switch gear is f****d, need to be replaced, mine did the same, lucky for me I had the extended warranty so it only cost me the £50 excess

Was the extended warranty the BMW/Mondial policy? Was the switchgear covered because I can't see it explicitly on the list?

Its worth checking the little multi plug for moisture / corrosion,
The switch cluster is a lin control unit and the switches are part of it and sealed,
So its unlikeley wd 40 will have any affect, except the multi plug ,
Any moisture etc will screw the signal from the switch gear up, and its not that well sealed,
A replacement may need coding in, not sure though,
Roamer,

Mine was replaced by Milano BMW in Italy as I was passing through last year when the complete unit failed on the AutoStrada (no indicators or anything). Popped the nearest dealer into the Nav 4 and headed over with little expectation. I speak hardly any Italian and the guy spoke no English yet we managed through various gestures and pointing at paperwork to get it all sorted on my extended warranty without me paying a penny of the excess. They actually removed the switchgear from a brand new bike sat in the showroom for me. Fantastic people and strangely it was one of the highlights of the trip despite being the trip of my life already up to that point.

Mine had both left and right switchgear replaced under warranty at less than 1200 miles (out of spec.................. meaning they stopped working). The left hand switch is starting to play up again at 11,000 miles ie the info button is is sticking and today the suspension switch has been playing up, looks like a warranty job

Back
Top Bottom