Is your bike garaged?

Tommy Gunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a 'Heads up' if you have declared your bike as garaged overnight.

I've just had to ring Hastings about a minor change to the model name of my GSA & the advisor I spoke with went over the rest of the original details again.
When we got to the 'Garaged' bit there was an additional qualification of 'with no windows'. I explained that it does have a window so he sought advice and the underwriters told him that the policy therefore needs to be changed to 'Kept on a driveway overnight'.
As a result the policy has gone up slightly but not enough to get worked up about (£7.95).
Just thought I'd mention it on here as it's not something I've heard of, or indeed a question I've been asked before.

Depends, if you were never asked at policy inception about garage window's, they can't place an additional loading. It isn't kept on a driveway overnight. I am assuming you keep it in a locked and secure garage ?

Seems like a "new" way to gouge more money out of clients.

Will household insurance no longer cover possession as the house has window's ?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Actually - for that additional cost to the policy, it's not a bad idea.

Just on the off chance that some night you leave the bike out - it is insured.

My BIL when he initially fitted a burglar alarm at home - didn't inform the insurers. This was on the basis that the slight reduction in cost, didn't warrant tying him into setting the alarm each and every time.

Al

A friend of mine had her bike insured as 'garaged'. One weekend after cleaning it she put it in the back garden and someone helped themselves to it overnight.

She had a real fight with her insurer and lost. It was not in the garage and it was less than 500m from the garage (a condition which I understand it pretty standard these days) so the insurer refused point blank. If you do leave you bike outside from time to time first check your policy wording and second perhaps follow the advice above!!

I renewed my insurance recently, and they made a very specific point of telling me if is declared garaged every night, it is not insured within 500 metres of the house if not garaged. So yes seems to be standard now.

:blast

I always keep my bike in a locked garage but as far as the insurance is concerned it is kept on the drive This means that I can leave it out (insured) after washing it or fixing it etc
A garage usually means (to the insurers) of brick or concrete construction and not normally timber or sheet material IME and this is worth checking Also whether it is joined on to the house or not makes a difference in some cases

Did they ask if your garage has a door ?
Not a silly question, this garage has no windows and no door and its on the drive :D

article-1164367-040D366C000005DC-234_468x314.jpg

I've just had to ring Hastings about a minor change to the model name of my GSA & the advisor I spoke with went over the rest of the original details again.
When we got to the 'Garaged' bit there was an additional qualification of 'with no windows'. I explained that it does have a window so he sought advice and the underwriters told him that the policy therefore needs to be changed to 'Kept on a driveway overnight'.
As a result the policy has gone up slightly but not enough to get worked up about (£7.95).
Just thought I'd mention it on here as it's not something I've heard of, or indeed a question I've been asked before.

Glad you've posted that. For £7.95, that's all your base's covered. Will have to look into it.:beerjug:

My garage is fitted with a monitored alarm with a large internal siren , extra internal locks on the main doors and only the side entrance door facing onto the house and CCTV can be accessed from the outside and it is fitted with extra high security locks .

The windows on it are fitted with security wired glass and an internal grill and again covered by CCTV .............told my insurance broker about all of this when getting house insurance to cover my tools and contents and was told it was better not to tell them and only say it is a secure garage and then if anything happens you can hit them with all the extras .

Similarly with the house , all my vehicle keys not being used at the time are in a secure safe (not a key cabinet) in a fully alarmed and cctv covered premises.. again brokers say do not put that down on the application as if there is a problem with say your alarm or window locks and something happens then the insurer will try to use it as an excuse not to pay out.

Best just to say the house has an alarm and if anything happens you can use the extra stuff as ammunition in any claim

My garage is fitted with a monitored alarm with a large internal siren , extra internal locks on the main doors and only the side entrance door facing onto the house and CCTV can be accessed from the outside and it is fitted with extra high security locks .

The windows on it are fitted with security wired glass and an internal grill and again covered by CCTV .............told my insurance broker about all of this when getting house insurance to cover my tools and contents and was told it was better not to tell them and only say it is a secure garage and then if anything happens you can hit them with all the extras .

Similarly with the house , all my vehicle keys not being used at the time are in a secure safe (not a key cabinet) in a fully alarmed and cctv covered premises.. again brokers say do not put that down on the application as if there is a problem with say your alarm or window locks and something happens then the insurer will try to use it as an excuse not to pay out.

Best just to say the house has an alarm and if anything happens you can use the extra stuff as ammunition in any claim

But ......

You've forgotten the most vital bit of information! How much does your insurer pay you to insure your bike!! :augie

Yes. My insurers will not pay if my bike is stolen within half a mile of home if not in my garage.

This is a bit harsh because if I leave it out because I'm going out again later on it's to covered.

Yes. My insurers will not pay if my bike is stolen within half a mile of home if not in my garage.

This is a bit harsh because if I leave it out because I'm going out again later on it's to covered.

I guess that there are stats that show that thieves knowing where bikes 'live' is a major factor in thefts. Find out how much (like the OP) it would cost to declare that the bike is parked on the driveway at all times?

Al

my OH queried it one time as she was renewing her insurance and was told that if on drive while she packed it to go away or outside while she locked garage, or at local garage/shop would not be covered as within minimum distance.... better off just saying on drive/off road

No garage here, both bike's sleep ground anchored in the enclosed rear garden. Insurance company knows :thumb

:beerjug:

We are told on UKGSer that the theft of motorcycles is endemic in the UK. Are the pages of this site and those of MCN filled with piss boiling tales of bikermates having their claims denied due to the 'It must be garaged' stipulation in their Motor policy? I can't think of one.

This means that:

1. The bikes are not being stolen from: Bods' drives whilst they loaded or whatever it was they were up to, the nearest Tesco Express store whilst they nip in two buy 12 large donuts to consume whilst they waited for likeminded souls to go hooning with, their mum's three doors down whom they've dropped in to see as it's her birthday on Tuesday, the petrol station a quarter of a mile away whilst they fill up before an awesome hoon through the twisties or an epic adventure on the cross-Channel ferry.

Or

2. If they are being stolen in these circumstances, the stipulation is not being applied quite as bikermates are imagining it might be

Or

3. The power of a pound of butter in the fridge is greater than even I imagined

Or

4. Something else

If the answer is 1 or 2 is 'yes', then what are bods getting their undercrackers in a regular twist over?

If the answer to 3 is 'yes', then you know the answer.

If it's 4, there's no accounting for it, so don't worry.

CN say only garaged between 10pm & 6am

Rest of the time I can park it where I want at home

Back
Top Bottom