Best behaving nobbie tyre on wet roads

K60's are brilliant tyres and possibly the best compromise out there. Mitas E07's are much the same. I use K60's on my Alaska trips and they give good grip on everything from a soaking wet Dalton Highway with mud and deep gravel to the baking heat of twisty tarmac in California and are stable no matter what you throw at them. 10,000 easily do able on them.

However, if you are doing mostly off road and not bothered with wear, I'd go with TKC80's which are a very good wet weather tyre. I've tried to keep with Vern on his old donkey when he's got part worn TKC's and it's next to impossible :eek:. You get a very slight movement because of teh block tread but once you get used to them, they are very secure.

Did you have good experiences with the K60 on wet tarmac? For what I've read, it's kind of the weak point of the tyre... it does sound like the best compromise and the most 50/50 tyre, as the TKC and Wilds are truly more a 60/40 (towards offroad). It's an interesting option, but my main concern is the continuous center line on the new design and wet roads.

I'm trying to do off-road more and more but the truth is, I'll always do more asphalt than offroad, that's for sure. And at the moment I do not care too much about longevity.

No reviews because it's literally only hitting the market.
Avon have been making tyres for a very long time and also developing them for our climate and road conditions.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Well... maybe for the next set when I have more info and reviews about it. The brochure will make them sound amazing, for sure but you never know until they're tested. Surely they look good, though.

Cheers lads!!

Those Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR look the business....... not available yet in the Hexhead sizes (in Ireland anyway) but Maddocks are looking into it for me.

They may well be the coolest looking tyres I have ever seen for the GS (and that's very important)

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Carcass is based on the Scorpion Trail II so they should perform well on the road.
1dcff2666697e427a861b28b0c9078ac.jpg
03228de428f4c154c962e7342852613a.jpg

Sent from a OnePlusX.

The tread gaps on those Pirelli don't look any wider than the Conti TKC-70. Being straight across they will be noisy.
As already said, the TKC-70 was great on gravel but totally useless on mud. It's likely the Scorpion Trail won't be any better.

If you are not bothered about wear - TKC80 every time

I think they are truly awesome tyres for grip in wet and dry on the road and perform in the dirt (not mud) - they do this by being very soft hence the low mileage

Its a compromise I don't mind on my GSA

I have also used Mitas E07's
very good on gravel off road even with the centre strip rear on the bigger bike sizes. (like a K60)
On road dry OK
On road wet OK
On road damp - a few butt clenching moments when really not expecting it at relatively slow speeds on bends! - This I think is a result of the way the tread pattern is quite spaced out on these when cranked over (worse than the K60)

Well lads, thank you all for your feedback. I've decided to do a half way step instead of going all in into the offroad tyre so ended up ordering the K60. Hopefully, it'll be as good as they say for both on/off roads.

I think both the TKC80 and Anakee Wilds would be a massive jump from the Anakee 3, specially for road use which is where I spend most of my time still. Hopefully, I'll keep it up with the mud stuff an the next set would be a more committed one :)

Cheers,
Rami

I think you'll be surprised how different the K60's are from a full road tyre, so you'll be glad you didn't jump in the deep end with the knobblies :D

I think you'll be surprised how different the K60's are from a full road tyre, so you'll be glad you didn't jump in the deep end with the knobblies :D

Ive run TKC 80s for the last 50,000 miles mainly road use and I think you'd be very surprised how good these tyres are in the wet or dry.
I doubt I would push on a lot quicker with pure road tyres and usually get approx 5k out of the rear and approx 12k out of the front on my 1150GSA.

I tried K60's and I didn't have any where near the confidence in the wet as with the TKC's :eek:

Fit TKC's and you've got all bases covered :thumb

Fingers crossed!!! Really hope that this would be the case... looking forward to it.

Ive run TKC 80s for the last 50,000 miles mainly road use and I think you'd be very surprised how good these tyres are in the wet or dry.
I doubt I would push on a lot quicker with pure road tyres and usually get approx 5k out of the rear and approx 12k out of the front on my 1150GSA.

I tried K60's and I didn't have any where near the confidence in the wet as with the TKC's :eek:

Fit TKC's and you've got all bases covered :thumb

Well, it's too late now. Bought the K60s already but I will have them in mind for the future... although if I go with a more nobby tyre, I'll probably try the Anakee Wilds... don't know why, but like them better at least in paper.

Of course, on top of the tyre there's always the external factor of the bike and most important, the rider.

Cheers,
Rami

Back
Top Bottom