Best HORN

Why o why do you need a loud horn ... just ride better... and avoid situations ... I don’t think I’ve used my horn ... very odd.

yep.. never pressed mine

Why o why do you need a loud horn ... just ride better... and avoid situations ... I don’t think I’ve used my horn ... very odd.

Not odd, there are situations in which a horn can be very helpful as part of a defensive riding style, such as when drivers appear to be creeping into a road without looking. Please don't misunderstand, I rarely use the horn: but I do appreciate that a loud horn can be valuable.

For the record....it's the first time I've ever used the horn. For all the sanctimonious holier than thou riders....good for you for never doing wrong and riding perfectly all the time. 30 yds isn't much notice to do much except avoid a collision whilst warning the other road user of your presence. Yes, I happen to be an advanced motorist. You don't know the road or the exact circumstances so keep your sanctimonious judgements to yourselves. :mad:

For the record....it's the first time I've ever used the horn. For all the sanctimonious holier than thou riders... :mad:

Lot of that on here, sound bomb for me,sat at a wide junction couple of years back, turning left 18 wheeler pulls along side, then proceeds to turn left, advanced planning my arse, there are times you need to bark! (Wait for expected riding gods to tell me how a bike can out accelerate an 18 wheeler, that’s it I am forever doomed for expressing an opinion that the sanctimonious few don’t agree with, well feck em)

Be seen and be heard... additional lights and loud horn wired up for me. Can’t go wrong with that. I’d rather have them for when I need them rather than relay on ‘foresight’ from those gifted enough to have never used their horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be seen and be heard... additional lights and loud horn wired up for me. Can’t go wrong with that. I’d rather have them for when I need them rather than relay on ‘foresight’ from those gifted enough to have never used their horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumb

Absolutely right. The IAM advise that the horn, amongst other controls, be tested prior to every ride. It should not be overused nor should it be underused. It is there to warn of danger which is precisley what it is for. I probably held it on longer than I ought to have done which was my only real fault. I was on the opposite carriageway in a suitable gear at a suitable speed following the flow of traffic at a safe distance. The woman motorist decided to sprint across a carriageway spinning her wheels as she did so. She caused an oncoming car to emergency brake before rocketing out in front of me. I sounded the horn and took avoiding action which probably saved my life. Needless to say she was very sheepish when stopping for lights at the next junction. I calmly let it go. No point in causing aggro. Enough nutters on the road.

Hi
What "minor wiring mods" ? the horn look like it has a canbus plug already

It does indeed. The problem I found was that the bike's wiring on mine didn't have enough slack to reach the connector on the horn, which is a tight squeeze to fit and which, once the mouth is pointed down to avoid water and debris ingress, presents the connection point at a very awkward angle and position. What I had to do was buy one of the available canbus plug extension kits (about £10 and the same as the denali one), strip the two spade ends and solder those to the canbus connector on the horn, then plug the extension into the bike's wiring. It was worth the effort because you can definitely be heard far better than with the standard horn. I don't understand why so many manufacturers fit such inadequate horns to vehicles. The one on our Honda car sounds even more lame (not that we've ever needed to use it when driving).... a little like a muted duck being sqeezed...

For the record....it's the first time I've ever used the horn. For all the sanctimonious holier than thou riders....good for you for never doing wrong and riding perfectly all the time. 30 yds isn't much notice to do much except avoid a collision whilst warning the other road user of your presence. Yes, I happen to be an advanced motorist. You don't know the road or the exact circumstances so keep your sanctimonious judgements to yourselves. :mad:

Nice rant ... you will get on well here ... 8 out of 10 .... just needs some swearing ;)

Hi Morety
Just tryed your solution, a Audi A6 horn (2 quid on a scrapeyard) and a few cents of electric parts
WAY better and almost free as oposed to a soundbomb
Thanks for the tip mate :beerjug:

No worries...anything is better than the stock one! Good job sourcing one for £2!

Not odd, there are situations in which a horn can be very helpful as part of a defensive riding style, such as when drivers appear to be creeping into a road without looking. Please don't misunderstand, I rarely use the horn: but I do appreciate that a loud horn can be valuable.

Hi Morety
Just tryed your solution, a Audi A6 horn (2 quid on a scrapeyard) and a few cents of electric parts
WAY better and almost free as oposed to a soundbomb
Thanks for the tip mate :beerjug:

His was from an E39 5 Series - how easily did the Audi one fit and what model year A6 was the donor?

It was a 2017 or 2018 V6 diesel station, it fit right away with the hole facing down and the conections facing rear like the original one, the only issue was that the canbus plug was not the same size as the the original one, but as the Audi horn came with a piece of wire and the canbus plug still attached so all I had to do as to fit the other end of the wire with a canbus plug that fited the Bmw´s and that was it

It was a 2017 or 2018 V6 diesel station, it fit right away with the hole facing down and the conections facing rear like the original one, the only issue was that the canbus plug was not the same size as the the original one, but as the Audi horn came with a piece of wire and the canbus plug still attached so all I had to do as to fit the other end of the wire with a canbus plug that fited the Bmw´s and that was it

Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom