Corrosion - Lets see what they say.

Stevebez

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new GSA and the whole corrosion issue is giving me the heebies.

In so much I have written to BMW to ask what they are doing to address this issue ... not after its occurred ... but what are they doing to sort it beforehand.

Lets see what they say.

I've had 4 GS's, peppered in between with others like the Triumph Explorer, all the GS's and even the Expo corrode, Indo ride all year round in the UK. Both manufacturers bare excellent and sorting it out though. I'm just trading in my 2014 GS for a new one and this one has hardly corroded at all but when I got this (it was only 2 months old with a few hundred miles on the clock) it had both a Machine Art fender extender and a mud sling fitted and what with the occasional squirt of ACF50 over winter I think that's what saved it. Don't let a bit of corrosion put you off as if you look after it a bit, I'm by no means over the top with mine, it will look after you

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I am in the market for a new GSA and the whole corrosion issue is giving me the heebies.

In so much I have written to BMW to ask what they are doing to address this issue ... not after its occurred ... but what are they doing to sort it beforehand.

Lets see what they say.

Don't expect a reply !

Well the facts are there. There are many bikes that have corroded badly, all ridden different. Some through winter, some not. Some high mileage, some low mileage. So, there is definitely a quality control issue when it comes to the paint used or the poor preparation. So, these bikes corrode and owners try and get corroded parts replaced under warranty. It's totally put me off purchasing a new GSA or keeping mine out of warranty at the end of this year.

Lets see what they say.

So got a reply from BMW ...

Basically saying wont comment on the issue and I should speak to my dealer about it.

Erm done that and they say "some processes have been changed".... and we are still seeing bikes decay.

I've replied asking for a senior technical advisor to get in touch with me.

:popcorn

What peeves me is they fobbing it off on the dealers... problem is higher up the chain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"I’m sorry to hear you’re not pleased with the information you’ve heard about the corrosion on the GSA’s but I’m afraid I can’t comment on data published by third party sources. I would recommend you get in contact with your preferred Motorrad Centre as they can offer you more in depth information on this matter."

How about a galvanised frame from starters....? Mbe add £50 to the bike cost? If that... even some cars have galvanised panels fffs

I can hear it now.."Were you recently sold a BMW and not told about the corrosion...call the claimline now"

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I just would like to know what they doing about it... if its nada well I wont be getting a GSA .. as much as I like it

Not for 18k anyway... get a Tenere never wash it ... and buy another as spare... well almost

Back
Top Bottom