weekend in Ripon August 2017

Tractors are go

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
IAM group going to Ripon overnight 5/6 August looking for advice on an hotel, off road parking, quiet and fairly central up to £150.

Any advice appreciated, also good restaurants/pubs and places to visit.

Having lived up that neck of the woods I can't say that I know Ripon centre itself that week other than to pass through (Spoilt by having Harrogate on the doorstep) but it is well located to head off to plenty of things to do /see depending on what you want
- Black Sheep Brewery at Masham - does tours as well as a big visitor centre and bar / restaurant - fantastic ride and scenery heading out to Pateley Bridge the to Lofthouse and over the pass past Ramsgill into the back of Masham
- Fountains Abbey - world heritage site - plenty of cafe options
- Head down to Ripley Castle and pop in to Ripley for the Ripley Ice Cream
- Brimham Rocks - big rocks and some great views
- head off into the dales and you're spoilt for choice for great roads - Aysgarth falls past Leyburn, or a bit further afield the Tan Hill inn - I think it claims to be the highest pub in the U.K.
York is just a short run away with the National Railway museum
Another great run is to head out to Thirsk then up to Whitby - via Sutton Bank and the chalk horse in the hillside - for the best fish and chips at the Magpie.
Just north of Ripon is West Tanfield where the Bull Inn has a good reputation and nearRipley is the Malt Shovel at Brearton.
I don't know about parking but The Royal Oak is a Gastropub with rooms in the centre around your budget

Hope that helps

-

Burn Hall (Best Western) Near Huby north of york

I know its a bit away from Ripon but they accommodated a large group of over 250 bikers back in 2014 and everybody was happy. Quite central for either the west to yorkshire dales and east to the moors.

Ripon, couldn't you find anywhere else to go. Lived there for many years, nothing would want to make me go visit.

Back
Top Bottom