Puncture prevention

No posts yet claiming damage to TPS. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened - but I'd be interested to know why I shouldn't use Ultraseal etc.

Only reason I bought up tyre change , I've a friend who's bike fitter , his company charge a fee as these sort of puncture liquids make a massive mess of machines and work area
But as a product 10/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tyre fitter has no problems with in tyre sealants and makes no additional charges unless people have overfilled their tyres**.

They are not foolproof so wont stop every puncture. Saying that, mine dealt with a hole caused by an M6 bolt. It was so good that when I took it for a patch the technician said I need not have bothered.

** I think this could be an issue with wheel balance but who knows. I just use what it says on the tin.

I don't know if they're any good on the road as I only just saw them used on the Dakar, but what about mousses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No personal experience with mousses but I read somewhere that they are no good for road use.

Picked up a puncture overnight in Norway but the Ultraseal allowed me to ride the 20 miles to a garage where the tyre was removed. I then used paper towels to remove most of the gel and then flushed the tyre clean with a hose. The garage was then able to fix it with a large mushroom patch. Very little mess and no complaints from the fitter

Kwik Fit back in UK have charged me £12 irc which they claimed was a charge for the disposal of a contaminated tyre

Ultraseal with Stop&Go would seem to be a marriage made in heaven imo

Picked up a puncture overnight in Norway but the Ultraseal allowed me to ride the 20 miles to a garage where the tyre was removed. I then used paper towels to remove most of the gel and then flushed the tyre clean with a hose. The garage was then able to fix it with a large mushroom patch. Very little mess and no complaints from the fitter

Kwik Fit back in UK have charged me £12 irc which they claimed was a charge for the disposal of a contaminated tyre

Ultraseal with Stop&Go would seem to be a marriage made in heaven imo

What a waste of good sealant. All the technician needed to do was scrape back the area around the repair and use a standard "vulcanised" type patch. The old sealant stays in the tyre for next time. If the sealant seals the hole and there are no wires poking out it's fine as is.

KwikFit will find any excuse to increase charges.

"Blow out"??
Modern tubeless tyres don't "blow out" unless severely damaged. If severely damaged, puncture seal won't do a thing.
At speed, a punctured tyre may lose all pressure yet still feel reasonable.... However, it will be overheating and possibly delaminating.
Check tyres and pressures regularly; tps is a better safety feature than ABS (imho).
Puncture seal is the equivalent of an Elastoplast.
What Im getting at is, if running tubeless, check tyre pressures and tread condition regularly. Embrace tps. Avoid puncture safe/ seal/ snake juice.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I haven't read all of this thread, but this last page has pushed me to ask a question.

I'm off to Italy next week.

I have a slow puncture. It's a brand new tyre that got a nail in it just 48hrs after it was fitted. You know the bloody scenario. So, because it was square-on into the tread I got it repaired properly. So far so good.

I've been run ragged in the run up to my holiday, so the bike hasn't had its usual use. But I noticed the slow puncture. Tried the usual soap rich water painted all over it. Not a friggin hint of where it might be.

My plan is to just get moving and top it up at fuel stops, if it needs it. But I have been thinking to pour in one of those puncture repair fluids. But I'm not sure which? And I've only got tomorrow to pfaff around.

What are people's thoughts?

I'd get it checked. It could be the valve or stem. The fact that you haven't managed to find it in the tyer would make me just a little cautious. Are you sure there is no leak at the rim?jjh

I'd get it checked. It could be the valve or stem. The fact that you haven't managed to find it in the tyer would make me just a little cautious. Are you sure there is no leak at the rim?jjh
I could pop up to Protyre tomorrow I guess. But they're just gonna want to sell me a new tyre...

I did try the touch soap mix on the rim/Tyre junction as well. Nothing. But it is losing pressure, albeit very slowly. But with a load on and motorway speeds it'll want to lose a little more at a faster rate.

Because it's so slow, my thoughts lead to a solution to pour in. One of the 'preventative' puncture solutions. That would clearly fix it. Even if there's a mess inside the tyre when it comes to the next tyre-off occasion. ..

I could pop up to Protyre tomorrow I guess. But they're just gonna want to sell me a new tyre...

I did try the touch soap mix on the rim/Tyre junction as well. Nothing. But it is losing pressure, albeit very slowly. But with a load on and motorway speeds it'll want to lose a little more at a faster rate.

Because it's so slow, my thoughts lead to a solution to pour in. One of the 'preventative' puncture solutions. That would clearly fix it. Even if there's a mess inside the tyre when it comes to the next tyre-off occasion. ..

Just assuming that you haven't missed anything just try the soapy mixture around the valve area where it meets the wheel. And try the old spit test on the valve. How much is it leaking in a week? JJH

Just assuming that you haven't missed anything just try the soapy mixture around the valve area where it meets the wheel. And try the old spit test on the valve. How much is it leaking in a week? JJH
Ok. Good idea. Quick cheap and easy.

I think it's losing about 0.2-0.3 bar every 48hrs. but I reckon that'll go up with load and speed...

Usually they lose nothing. I mean in a month, nothing. No change. Actually, I've always been very impressed with how well the pressure has always held.

But I hate the niggle...I'm sure you all know where I'm at. A PITA

Ok. Good idea. Quick cheap and easy.

I think it's losing about 0.2-0.3 bar every 48hrs. but I reckon that'll go up with load and speed...

Usually they lose nothing. I mean in a month, nothing. No change. Actually, I've always been very impressed with how well the pressure has always held.

But I hate the niggle...I'm sure you all know where I'm at. A PITA

I'd chuck a new tyre on and keep the old one in the garage for use when I got back. Is it worth all that worry and hassle for the sake of £80??.

I'd chuck a new tyre on and keep the old one in the garage for use when I got back. Is it worth all that worry and hassle for the sake of £80??.
I'm with your thinking exactly . Just booked it in for 4.30 today.

I checked the valve this morning. All good. BUT I also checked the repair. That's where the leak is. Didn't show the first time, so my guess it's, it's giving up.

A bit more than 80 quid down here! 120 more like (fitted - Conti Tail attack 2s). But it's worth it, in my view. I'll get the old one fixed properly. It's almost new, so it needs to be repaired!

Thanks for all the feedback

Your first post on this was a puncture that was fixed properley. I'd be going somewhare else with it. There is only one thing that can make a proper repair leak and thats another puncture. That brings me to the story about lightning striling twice. JJH

Your first post on this was a puncture that was fixed properley. I'd be going somewhare else with it. There is only one thing that can make a proper repair leak and thats another puncture. That brings me to the story about lightning striling twice. JJH
You are also on the same page as me.

I'm a bit pissed that a tyre with only about 600 mules on it might end up in the bin . Maybe I can persuade the guy at Protyre to re-fix it?

Meanwhile I'm in a conversation with the guy that fixed it...

Or run it with Puncturesafe tyre goo and stop worrying about the duff puncture patching job.

I would not do that unless I was sure what was causing the leak. There is a huge question mark now about the tyer. Sealents have their place but to cover up what may turn out to be a bodge? I'd rather the tyer was dismounted from the rim and inspected before a repair is effected. Even for peace of mind. JJH

Or run it with Puncturesafe tyre goo and stop worrying about the duff puncture patching job.

I think if i wasn't about to be on a 3-4k mile jaunt, i'd go for that. I think i just want it off my mind. I'll have to look at it as if i bought the replacement early and it's waiting in the shed...

Here's a shot of the bubbles. Not sure if the video will upload though. .

2cee32f6ff05dbb6bd83a4798cb5f96b.jpg

Attachments

• 20170724_112042.jpg
    20170724_112042.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 224

Back
Top Bottom