Puncture prevention

It's been known for tyre goo to allow air to get between tread and casing but its rare and its likely a tyre plug would be no better. A decent internal patch would avoid air getting into the tyre structure but wont fix a structure that's already weakened. Such damage would be impossible to detect util it fails with a bulge or worse.

(If it was me) concern about the old tyre would spoil the ride. Put the old tyre aside, get it patched then use it when you get back with goo as insurance. The chances are the long tour will use up your new tyre anyway.

For what it's worth...those who like watching paint dry :D

New tyre on and I managed to get home without another puncture. Long may it go on!

Here's the offending fix. It looks OK on the inside. But clearly it's got a little passage out to the air somewhere...I do think gloop would fix it. So in the shed it goes.

20170724_164207.jpg
20170724_164252.jpg

Spoke about this with my local independent dealer. He supplies and fits my tyres also sells puncture seal. He will not put it if t.p.s
Sensors fitted. I've had it in previous tyres on non t.p.s , however I never suffered a puncture.

"Blow out"??
Modern tubeless tyres don't "blow out" unless severely damaged. If severely damaged, puncture seal won't do a thing.
At speed, a punctured tyre may lose all pressure yet still feel reasonable.... However, it will be overheating and possibly delaminating.
Check tyres and pressures regularly; tps is a better safety feature than ABS (imho).
Puncture seal is the equivalent of an Elastoplast.
What Im getting at is, if running tubeless, check tyre pressures and tread condition regularly. Embrace tps. Avoid puncture safe/ seal/ snake juice.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This is one reason why I use Ultraseal/Puncturesafe. It wont stop a hole big enough to cause a rapid deflation, but it might give me a few for seconds of riding time before the shredding tyre throws me off in the fast lane.

Many moons ago I had an Austin Mini front tyre fail. The car was driving normally on a dual carriageway, I noticed a new noise but hey it's a Mini. Then I saw smoke going past the window. The steering was not pulling to left or right. I slowed down and only when I got below 30 did the steering go AWOL. I lost drive and had to park it on central reservation (it was before we had walls/armco). The tyre was totally shredded. It was not a blow out. Damage was due to driving on a flat tyre, but on a straight fast road there was no steering pull we all told to expect.

Had I been on a bike I'd have been thrown off but I'm sure the vibration would have made me stop much sooner.

I had a back tyre go down on me - large cut. By the time I could stop the rim had been damaged. The last 20mph was frightening as I'd lost steering. An in-tyre goo would have given some dying seconds lubrication, maybe saved the rim and perhaps allowed me to stop without so much loss of steering.

I was following a pal at about 80mph on a quiet motorway. His bike looked fine. He slowed down to turn off and all hell broke loose! He did well to stay on! Same as Bendy; the tyre was very hot and had obviously been at zero pressure for ages... But was fine at speed.

I run Tubliss (not a typo!) of the enduro bikes. I often run the rear tyre at about 4psi. It's great off road; horrific on tarmac at low speeds, but fine at higher speeds.

Definitely belive that tps is the way forward on road bikes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This is one reason why I use Ultraseal/Puncturesafe. It wont stop a hole big enough to cause a rapid deflation, but it might give me a few for seconds of riding time before the shredding tyre throws me off in the fast lane.

I'm interested in this and I've looked at the Ultraseal site with a view to getting some. But I'm unclear why the sealing fluid doesn't clog up the valve? Or am I missing something?

I'm interested in this and I've looked at the Ultraseal site with a view to getting some. But I'm unclear why the sealing fluid doesn't clog up the valve? Or am I missing something?

I'm presuming that an element of centrifugal force is helping the sealant to go whare it's needed. The valve is the opposite way. JJH

I'm presuming that an element of centrifugal force is helping the sealant to go whare it's needed. The valve is the opposite way. JJH
I thought the same. But when I read the Ultraseal site info it says the entire inside is covered. So my thoughts the lead to the valve.

I like the idea, despite some criticism that these in-tyre puncture solutions could 'mask' a bigger problem. In over 30yrs of riding, all the punctures have been the same. A friggin screw/nail buried into the tyre, therefore a fairly tidy hole. Maybe off road you've a bigger chance of a tear or large damage to the tyre. But for road use...I think it looks good. Of course I'm aware of them. Just never used them. And the flippin hassle I had recently has made me think I should look into it

I had a tyre valve washer spring a leak. It had an in-tyre goo but it could not get to the valve mounting so I had to remove the tyre. When opened up the goo was all over the tread area with next to none around the tyre beads. The valve was clean. The goo had stopped at least 2 punctures so I shouldn't complain.

Back
Top Bottom