ABS Pump repair

Hunda Dump it!

that's from 10 years plus worth of advice of working on these systems!

If you can't afford a new system and more importantly remember to do annual Fluid changes?

Dump IT!

My most scary "fault" was trying to get a K1200 LT to recreate an owners fault while I was at the dealers !!!!

It LOCKED the front wheel up at 30mph Full servo power and No ABS Only my "scrambling" experience saved me and the bike going down

I fucking hate them with a vengeance I love the ABS but the residual braking is a farce and those who designed it should be tied to a remote controlled motorcycle with their bare arses in the air (a good lashing o cat of nine tails for good measure of course!) and sent off with a faulty controller!!!!!!

ABS II Was pretty damn good and at least left you full power brakes "IF" it went faulty!

The range of faults are quite wide too I did a brake fluid change on a bike that had not had fluid change in 65,000 miles !!! I Was careful not to extend the normal range of levers usuage but 6 weeks later residual braking yet it was top of green band on bleed test etc etc In Fact heres a couple of pics of the fluid!

DSC05060.jpg

DSC05061.jpg

300 cc in the jar 150 in the plastic bleed bowl Just was going clear at the first third of the third bleeding cup and I bled it on through till the tube was pure fresh Brake fluid

DSC05062.jpg

Thanks DrFarkoff.

I'll take that as a fairly resounding vote in getting rid of it then ;) and if someone with your experience of them says so then it's probably for the best that it goes :thumb

If it had stayed working I would have been happy to change the fluid on a yearly basis but if I can't trust it every time I leave the Island it's a bit shite.

but if I can't trust it every time I leave the Island it's a bit shite

There lies the crux of the matter "If" you can't trust it

That's why I say If you can't afford to get a new one?

And more importantly, to remember to maintain it, then you are better off to Remove it.

Affording a new one is all about priorities - by the time I buy it and ship the bike to Aberdeen BMW it's going to cost at least 2.5k :eek: which I don't have handy.

Personally I don't think it's worth that - I'd rather have reliable non servo non ABS brakes I can trust than worrying all the time that I'm going to plough into something because the residual braking has just kicked in.

I'm old enough to have managed for years on bikes that have never had ABS :rolleyes:

Yes I can see the advantages of ABS but if I look at my ABS Real Time data with the GS911 (and assuming I interpret the readout correctly):

then I've only used the ABS for 6 seconds on the rear in the last 11 years :eek: - not a lot really!

Any how your opinion is much appreciated as is all your other input over the last few months (supply of parts etc.) so thank you once again DrFarkoff :bow:thumb2:bow

Abs is a good thing. Unfortunately the servo abs that BMW used for a year or 2 was not. When it worked it was good or brilliant by the standards of the day but it gave a lot of trouble. I know because I had a bike with it. While my bikes abs remained trouble free it had a nasty habit of not working if you switched on and started the bike while holding the brake on. It only caught me once but the residual braking is a joke. And that was from a working system. I admire you trying to fix it but a servoectomy is the best way forward. Jjh

excuse my french but, FUCK ME!!!

I just checked the RealOEM site $2874.50 which equates to £2200

Originally the 1150GSA ones were about £1200

£2200 just for the unit 😲

I'll definitely give it a miss. Servosectomy it is!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If it helps you at all I had my reservations on removing mine too. My bike was servo assisted and when operational the braking was very firm although very noisy whining away when brakes engaged.

My reservations were not based upon the quality or reliability of the unit but just logically looking at a bike with or without ABS I would obviously prefer one with. Doesn't mean non-ABS is suicidal but again specific systems aside the general capability of ABS is advantageous (am sure some will say disadvantages as well).

Anyway after a similar round of responses and advice I had mine fully removed and the bike put back to the same spec as a non-ABS model and I have been very pleased with the braking. It is disgraceful that BMW didn't do some kind of recall or fix for them being such a critical safety component on the bike.

So, rest assured removing it is probably the safer option, and for insurance purposes I updated my insurers that my bike had the ABS removed but that non-ABS was a standard specification. They asked for a letter from the garage which I provided although I am sure many on here haven't bothered doing that and it may be fine.

Hi
Does anyone know what can be done about the ABS warning lights once the servosectomy is complete on a r1200gs 2004 or will I have to just put up with it?

Smiffypr was trying to repair his, after mine failed and I did the removal he came and collected my old unit, haven’t heard how he got on.
I didn’t notice any difference in braking performance after the removal, I also split the clocks but used a small piece of pipe insulation in the slot where the bulb was to blank it off.

Al.

Blanking / filling the slot where the led shines wont stop the light bleed, so when it's dark, you will still see the fault message (albeit dimley)

The leds are arranged like this

x x
x x

I cant remember which one's do which, but they operate diagonally so upper L and lower R and vice versa

2 are for the amber warning & 2 for the red warning

to kill the light properly , you need to do the following

2x small blobs of Black mastic over the red leds, and then in the light tube, you need to make an X out of foam

So the corresponding light path above each red led is obscured.

That way you will get the amber warning light, which will extinguish as it should

Smiffypr was trying to repair his, after mine failed and I did the removal he came and collected my old unit, haven’t heard how he got on.
I didn’t notice any difference in braking performance after the removal, I also split the clocks but used a small piece of pipe insulation in the slot where the bulb was to blank it off.

Al.
After Al kindly gave me his, I picked the best bits of both units and put it back together, and it all worked, servos and ABS. After a few weeks, I pushed the bike off the centre stand and the front brake lever came all the way back as the bike rolled across the garage. Servos were working when the ignition was on, but with the ignition off I had no residual braking. Rebuilding back into the spare casing cured that (there must be a one-way valve after the servo pump built into the casing). Then the bike was unused over the winter, and when I went to get it out a few months ago, no servos running with the ignition on. When I investigated, the electronics module had burnt itself out while the bike was just sitting. No fuse protection and the canbus system which is supposed to cut the power when it detects over current must have tried repeatedly to power the unit up until it fried. Not only a bad braking system but also a fire risk. Nothing I can do with it now. If I do a servo-ectomy I will have no speedo. I'm mid house move at the moment, but I think my choices are to re-plumb the brakes and use the GPS for speedo, or break it for spares.

I've just read through this thread as my 2005 1200gs started giving brake errors and no servo after it was knocked over in the hotel car park last Monday. I rode home mostly in the rain, very carefully!
Before that, I've owned it for 18 months now with no problems. Whilst changing the clutch a couple of months ago I separated the pipes to the rear, so flushed all of the system through with new fluid, back and front.
Both indicator and cancel switches were broken, and hanging loose, so I was suspicious about the master cylinder having had a bang, and perhaps disturbing crud in the reservoir.
Symptoms back in the garage are a servo continuing to run after applying the front brake firmly. Light pressure causes motor to start and stop as expected any number of times. I've stripped and cleaned master cylinder, and washed out reservoir. Perhaps crud is further down the system?
From all the other problems, and the complexity described, perhaps I should just bypass it.
I'm off to the garage now to flush the front control side through again. Fingers crossed.

I wonder if the brake lamp switch on the brake lever is sticking. (I'm not at all sure what triggers the servo motor to run, but if it is the brake lamp switch, that could be the cause.)

Servoectomy,

had it done on my 06 hexhead,

No braking issues whatsoever

Do a search there are some very good guides about

HI All might be a silly question so forgive me but how do i know what brake system i have?? ABSi seems to be fraught with issues while ABSii seems better????
I have a 2011 air cooled - under hard braking it stops just fine but under very light braking ( one finger on lever while manoeuvring for example) i can feel a slight flutter in teh front lever - worse if i also have the back brake feathered
Al advice gratefully accepted ;)

Back
Top Bottom