Shipping my GS to America???

David Ryan

Reaction score
I'm thinking of shipping my GS to Maine in the USA for a touring holiday
Has anyone on here done this?
Can you recommend a company to do the shipping? Trying to find someone who can do it for a reasonable price.

I used James Cargo Shipping, no problems airfreighting bike to Canada.

Was a couple of years ago, they also do shipping. Worth a try.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Drop Sgt Bilco a pm , he's the man to talk to.......:thumb2

The Company I work for screens air freight for James Cargo, haven't had any complaints.

Even though it is more expensive, I would air freight, some people have had serious delays getting their bikes through customs at ports, it's a bit third world by some accounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a 6 week trip across the States on my GS the other year. I used James Cargo, works out at £1950 to fly in and boat out. We flew into Las Vegas and boated out of New York. Flying in is definitely the way to go. Less time without the bike before the trip, plus it's more reliable. Getting it on a plane is as easy as dropping it off at the depot of your chosen air freighter. They pallet it, box it and deal with all the paperwork this end. It even goes with a bit of fuel in, keys in the ignition and all your gear, including helmets, in the box with the bike. Easy.

Getting the bike out of cargo is a bit harder at the other end, but patience is key. Go to cargo lounge, get paperwork, take paperwork to customs, explain what you're doing. Return to cargo with paperwork and you're free to go. Usually a $50 fee at the cargo lounge. Las Vegas works well for those fresh off the plane as two miles from the airport you're in the desert. No interstates to endure.

Coming back you're a bit more on your own as James Cargo et al just rely on third party agents in the States. Leave the bike with them, deal with some paperwork and hop on a plane home. Six weeks later pick your bike up from wherever it comes into port.

Before the trip you need to apply for an environmental protection agency exclusion letter which are easy and free to get. Your shipper will point you in the right direction. No need for a Carnet.

Insurance I've always used Motorcycle Express, who do do shipping but also offer full insurance on the bike, plus breakdown cover. Worked out about £300 for 2 months I think. Some people use Progressive which is cheaper but you do have to fudge that you have an American address. How valid the insurance is should you need to claim I'm not sure, but then not heard of any complaints.

I'd definitely recommend taking your own bike if the figures stack up. Anything under 3 weeks it's cheaper and less hassle to rent, but anything longer and you're saving money the longer you're there. A GS 1200 from Las Vegas BMW was about $250 a day last time I checked. Some people say buy one out there, which is fine if you can afford to be in ownership of two bikes, which I can't. And having a UK plate in the US doesn't half get the conversation started.

Nathan. Thanks very much for all that information. Very helpful
I've already been in touch with James Cargo. They seem very professional

No problem David. There are a few; James Cargo. MotoFreight. Shippio. They all swim in the same pond and are all run by good people.

You want to try Air Canada. They run a motorbike special from Air Canada Cargo to many points in the Uk and EU. Roughly only $ 700 US each way and you fly on the same plane.

Dan

Have a search for a guy called "Richy Vida USA tour" on you tube, he went via Air Canada and flew with his bike on the same plane.

Motofreight, James Cargo, or Shippio. I know them all and they're all a great bunch. I went with Motofreight to get my bike from South Africa for no other reason than Roddy and Kathy have strong ties with the place and Kathy was at the Horizons Unlimited event in South Africa in November. Roddy from Motofreight was the chap who started vehicle freighting at James Cargo all those years ago when nobody else was doing it, so IMO has the most experience.
Even if you are thinking of booking direct with Air Canada, give them a call - loads of people have been caught by small technicalities like it takes 24 hours for paperwork to clear so you might be standing around for a day if you didn't know that. Also, Heathrow is a lot busier than your typical Canadian airport so what might seem like a good idea to fill the slack hours in the day at one end, can be an irritation for them at the other!

I have shipped to USA with James Cargo in 2014 (to New York/return from LA) and with Air Canada in 2015 (to/from Montreal). Air Canada was waaaay cheaper and just as efficient, in fact it was probably easier with Air Canada both ways. But I think you can only go to/from an Air Canada hub airport so probably cant use them to get your bike directly to Maine (Portland?) but either of Montreal or Quebec aren't that far even in USA terms.

Back
Top Bottom