Classic bikes and potential E..y scams

steve hughes

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is this a new phenomenon or have scammers been on Ebay for ever.

I was looking at an LC350 earlier today, 5 bids on it , whilst looking at the item description it had a buy it now of £3300!

When checking the other items for sale Norton Commando BIN £3300

Suzuki kettle BIN £3300.

The seller "loupeoleve" had 1400 seller rating.

Of course when looked again this afternoon all three ads have been pulled!

All three bikes had bids on them, I know the adage a fool and his money etc but who believes they will get a mint commando for £3300?

Be careful out there!
Steve

I sold a Commando in Feb last year, my advert has been used twice since then by Scammers, got pulled fairly quickly after I reported it. If it's too cheap then there is a reason and the scammer selling often has 50 or sixty ads running including camper vans, classic bikes and farm equipment. I assume that are hoping to reel you in and get you to put a hefty deposit down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As long as you do a bit of delving the scams are usually quite easy to spot. If in doubt, ask for a photo of a Particular part of the bike. That will at least prove if they have access to the bike.

This is still going on today. Scammer had over 2000 vehicles up for sale. Only two or three pics each and no description - just a full stop to move past that page. Reported a few and they were all pulled. PITA

Yup, this happens all the time with 350LCs. As said, you soon get a sense for what is, and isn't, real. Sometimes when I click on a scam a page comes up that has nothing to do with the bike - as if ebay know it's a scam...I can't remember what it says, but I will screenshot and post it the next time that I see it

This is still going on today. Scammer had over 2000 vehicles up for sale. Only two or three pics each and no description - just a full stop to move past that page. Reported a few and they were all pulled. PITA

It's a BOT,

They pish an ebay account, and then use Ebay's own listing tools to run thousands of adverts

they only need to get lucky once ;)

Theres a lad on a Kawasaki forum £750 down following an Ebay parts scam. It beggars belief “ buy the seller” if it seems to good or they avoid ebay and direct you to Bob11156453@gmail.com run a bloody mile

Even our own have been caught. Report to eBay when you see one.

When your suspicions are aroused, check the images/ads from other recent sales - to the left of the ad, scroll down to 'show only' & click on sold/completed items. We had one a while back, originally a genuine bike sale on the south coast, that reappeared several times in the following months as fake ads by some crook in Scotland. Often the body of the ad will give you a clue, say a type face change or 3rd party contact details.

There's lots of classic/project bikes on eBay all at about £2000 from the same seller, but using what are clearly bikes that DK Motorcycles have for sale or have sold, and clearly photographed on their chequer plate turntable.
One listed is a bike I bought late last year!
I've tried to report these, but can't manage to do the copy/paste to inform them, or eBay of the doubtless scam.

I usually go straight to 'sellers other items' where you normally find VW T5/6, Sierra Cosworths, plant machinery etc all half price. As said they must make a few quid out of it before the ads get pulled. Report asap :thumb2

eBay Ayden scam

Hello guys,
Just read your post about eBay scams, I am in the middle of a long running one, I never handed any money over as at the last minute I checked for EBay Ayden escrow scam, as it turned out it was and has been going on since 2013. My own one started in February this year for a Kawasaki Z900 A4 1976, immaculate and a very good price, the seller sent me his proof of identity so I sent him my proof of identification. Since then he has used my identity to scam thousands of pounds out of other buyers. I have been to the police but I would fear that they probably have enough on their plate. Only this week there has been three phone calls to my home and one person had paid for a non existent Benelli motorcycle. The seller uses my name, but says he lives abroad, but the vehicle is on Shetland at my home address. So if anything comes up with my name Dean Mitchell or involves Shetland it is a scam.

Back
Top Bottom