Cleaning Hi-Vis Sections Of Textile Suits

Moose

Reaction score
Third world problem - how do you clean the Hi-Vis sections of jackets and trousers?

I have tried applying Tech Wash locally to the areas concerned but not scrubbed it in.

You can never get it properly clean - I have gone back to black jackets and bought a wipe clean Hi Vis helmet instead ;)

If by the hi viz sections you mean the flourescent yellow/orange cloth sections once dirty they do not clean up well if at all (at work we would just bin the jackets as they looked tatty very quickly) , if you mean the reflective sections ie the Scotchlite 3M or similar reflective tape sections once they are dirty under the protective film then they are buggered and unfortunately washing them also buggers them as it lets water in behind the protective film

A quick ps our supplies section spoke to the kit and material manufacturers about this problem because of the amount of hi viz kit we had and they said that they cannot make hi viz material fully UV stable (so it will fade) and it is also very difficult and expensive to make it dirt retardent and fully washable

Spray with Nano Protector Spray or Scotchguard when you first buy it and then it washes up just fine!:thumb

Spray with Nano Protector Spray or Scotchguard when you first buy it and then it washes up just fine!:thumb

Good tip, but too late, will try and remember next time:)

Yeah I know the feeling. Like fuckers just do it anyway. They either didn't look or if they did look still made a conscious decision to do it anyway. Because they cannot fail to see me. White helmet hiviz and gsa with all the lights on. Don't say you didn't see me. JJH

Don't use hi-viz. The bastards aren't looking anyway.

I used to work at New Scotland Yard; as a civie; and there were a number of times when I saw a Traffic sergeant I knew and he was on the way to an RTC where a police motorcyclist had been taken out by a car. That's a marked blue&yellow reflective bike with lights on and the officer is required to wear a yellow hi-viz jacket.
So what chance do the rest of us stand? Don't rely on hi-viz, daytime lights, or any other vaunted 'safety measure'. Keep your eyes open and just accept that they are out to get you.

Back
Top Bottom