Why in 2000 1150 and 1200

a2zworks

Reaction score
Hi all,
Why in 2000 there was the BMW R1200C together with the R1150GS and R1150R.
Why the different capacity, can anyone answer that for me.

Thanks,
Pablo

1200C was 1,170cc
1150 with a 1,130cc

So, need to check the bore and stroke sizes to see where the difference lies.

Curiously, would the 1200 barrels fit an 1150?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe the difference was down to the crank throw providing a longer stroke to the 1200, so you got a slightly greater swept volume.

I thought it was all in the bore. Even the 850's use the same crank and con rods.
When I first got my 850 I did ponder the idea of upgrading it to an 11. Was even offered a set of 11S barrells, pistons and heads which was tempting. But I then pondered further, thinking why not go all out and use barrells and pistons from the 12C with 11S heads?
But in time I decided it was fun enough as it was, especially as I had a Blackbird if I wanted POWER......:D

Nope... Both are 101mm bore but the 1200c is 73mm stroke vs 70.5mm for the 1150

Longer stroke - more torque
Shorter stroke - quicker acceleration.

A longer stroke could rotate equally fast, but the inertia of the piston and conrod cause problems due to the increased energy.

Superbikes tend to be 'over-square' meaning the the bore is larger than the stroke, so the piston doesn't have to travel far to generate the same swept volume as a longer stroke engine. The further the piston has to travel, the lower the maximum rev ceiling which limits the power output. The higher an engine can rev, the higher power output it can generate.

This is anathema to a cruiser which is intended to be a lazy, relaxed experience. Long stroke engines like those in Harleys, have exactly these characteristics which is why they are suited to the role.

A slightly rambling explanation, but I hope you get the gist...

I liked your explanation PY, good for my wine soaked brain (it is Friday evening, after all, well, in the UK any way). :beer:

Superbikes tend to be 'over-square' meaning the the bore is larger than the stroke, so the piston doesn't have to travel far to generate the same swept volume as a longer stroke engine. The further the piston has to travel, the lower the maximum rev ceiling which limits the power output. The higher an engine can rev, the higher power output it can generate.

This is anathema to a cruiser which is intended to be a lazy, relaxed experience. Long stroke engines like those in Harleys, have exactly these characteristics which is why they are suited to the role.

Top man! :thumb2 Well explained. Even I understood that! :D

Yes of course that makes perfect sense, in the case of HD those cylinders are a mile long, thanks Paul.
In the boxer there is only a 3mm difference surly that wouldn't make that much difference, I understand that the stroke can't be any longer other ways they'd get in the way of on coming traffic so why bother with 3mm.
Then again I suppose gearing is different as well and those two together do make that difference.
Anyone here ridden both compare.

Loads of other things can add to the difference, from air/fueling to cam profiles and comp ratio, to make a very different beast from the same basic format. Think about how that base engine runs in the 1200C and also the Boxercup race bikes with massive differences in power/torque characteristics, handling and top speed...

Back
Top Bottom