What Electrical Test Equipment Do You Carry

B Murr

Reaction score
So, if you were heading off for a few days or more and not just heading off to Tescos, what would you carry to troubleshoot electrical problems. I'm thinking one of those simple electric circuit test light pens would suffice, bike already has voltmeter fitted so I can watch out for charging issues. I was wondering if others carry anything more extensive such as a small digital multimeter which you could use for testing resistances/continuity.

If I was going on a trip ?
I would take a Sealey PPX and my Portasol Gas soldering Iron solder tape and a couple of lengths of wire, tape, fuses and bulbs
As to Multimeter? I'd probably buy a small cheap new one out of Maplins or somewhere similar, so that its as near as dammit calibrated (I had an expensive one that caused mayhem when it went out of calibration spec even with a new internal battery)

All of the above can be made to fit into a medium plastic lunchbox

Cheap multimeter (pocket size) a coil of light wire, and maybe some scotch locks. Couple of mini croc-clips too - for testing (using coil of cable) and some lecky tape (and small amount of self-amalgamating tape too)

Al

All my airheads have a Gammatronix LED voltage monitor and I carry a beancan, ICU, diode board, rotor and multi meter as well as bulbs and fuses. Then you can go round the world. (having rewired them all I've never had to use any of them!)

That looks good and seems to fit the bill for what I'm thinking of, how big is it?

It's about 4 inches long from memory.

Best tool i've got I think - if you don't want to trace the ends the needle probe pierces the insulation and tells you if it's live or not

Check this out http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=7229

The Main tester part If you push the rocker switch forward you get a positive feed at the tip

Rock it backwards and you get an earth,

the black fly lead provides a quick earth for testing bulbs in conjuction

Once connected to a battery You get a red LED when the wire or connection is live and a green one is ground

This is my number one bike test tool (Actually mine might be a PP2 but the principle is the same!)

A SnapOn circuit tester, for continuity, voltage and charging, a SnapOn screwdriver with various bits (had that thirty years now) and a SnapOn gas soldering iron :thumb2

Over the years of continental travelling with groups this small ensemble has got a lot of good folk out of the mire :D

i-hLMDrsr-L.jpg

:beerjug:

Check this out http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=7229

The Main tester part If you push the rocker switch forward you get a positive feed at the tip

Once connected to a battery You get a red LED when the wire or connection is live and a green one is ground

This is my number one bike test tool (Actually mine might be a PP2 but the principle is the same!)

Went for the steinel under sealey name, on ebay at £12.76 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311297331294?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT seemed hard to resist and ticked my boxes. For size comparison I thought I'd invest the grand sum of £1.26 delivered to Ireland for one of the pen with light options from China, should get it before Christmas hopefully :D

Thorough check over before you set off. Short trips in Europe I take a couple of good lengths of wire, one of which has small croc clips on each end which has proved very handy for fault finding. I take a multimeter because it's very small and a bag of various connectors including scotchlocks, crimps and choc block. Always carry self amalgamating tape. I have a 12v soldering iron but it's quite bulky so generally leave it at home.

That's what I carry, a roll of wire, spanners, some crimp connectors, small set of mole grips, cable ties,

Never had the charging fail though, if I did I would be buying a cheap car battery and hooking it up temporary, until I got home.

Back
Top Bottom