1200 GS TE Exclusive suspension

That is the problem they don't overlap, there is a noticable 'hole' between the two.
I the esa was properly dynamic there would be no need for various settings, when you sit on the bike and the suspension depresses the sensors measure it and should give the correct preload back to the correct ride height and the damping to match.
Aprillia did a good job of it on the Caponord , it can be done.

And BMW do it on the 2017 bikes.

That is the problem they don't overlap, there is a noticable 'hole' between the two.
I the esa was properly dynamic there would be no need for various settings, when you sit on the bike and the suspension depresses the sensors measure it and should give the correct preload back to the correct ride height and the damping to match.
Aprillia did a good job of it on the Caponord , it can be done.

But expecting the system to determine the correct damping without any user input (properly dynamic in your terms) is to ignore the issue of personal preferences - as I see it ROAD and DYNA just let you bias it in the direction you want, but it seems two settings is not enough for the more discerning rider. :)

On the plus side, I believe the AUTO preload mode works well enough and is likely to be more accurate than the old method of selecting one of three settings, none of which might be exactly right for a particular situation.

One advantage of the new sttings is it is quick and easy to switch between the two!

I was going to order my new GS on Saturday to replace my 15 plate TE but I really don't know whether to? We did test ride an Exclusive for about 100 miles and I wasn't too sure about the suspension it seemed ok in most conditions but a bit harsh on some bumpy roads. As well as the suspension I can't decide between an Exclusive or a black TE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's not for a 2017 GS, Exclusive or otherwise, despite what it claims. That's last years model, baby.

The 'Owners' page for manual downloads on BMW-Motorrad vanished when the site(s) were revamped with mobile/tablet friendly stuff some months ago. I wish I had book marked the page, as it's probably still there, but orphaned.

Found it: go here:-

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/.../services/manuals/manuals_main.html&notrack=1

I have about 2000 miles on my Exclusive. I weigh far more than I should at just under 17 stone and I find the suspension pretty good. I haven't installed the Pro Plug and tend to ride in ROAD with AUTO preload selected the majority of the time. I find that in DYNAMIC on anything but good smooth road it is too hard and a bit twitchy. On good tarmac through fast sweeping bends it certainly doesn't feel wallowy in DYNAMIC but can get a little unsettled in ROAD over some types of undulations. I guess the damping is a bit a personal preference and quite subjective, but on the whole I find it about right. Haven't ridden 2-up yet.

That's not for a 2017 GS, Exclusive or otherwise, despite what it claims. That's last years model, baby.

The 'Owners' page for manual downloads on BMW-Motorrad vanished when the site(s) were revamped with mobile/tablet friendly stuff some months ago. I wish I had book marked the page, as it's probably still there, but orphaned.

Found it: go here:-

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/.../en/services/manuals/manuals_main.html¬rack=1

It might be me, I can only get the 'old' esa version.
The part no. for the latest one is 01 40 8 388 381

It might be me, I can only get the 'old' esa version.
The part no. for the latest one is 01 40 8 388 381
happily enough, that's exactly the order number of the version I have downloaded from that link. Both before I posted and after your response above.

It's even got a picture of my bike on the cover, although I have put an Akra can on it since they took the picture. :D

Attachments

• 2017-05-25 20_50_52-BMW Motorrad International.png
    2017-05-25 20_50_52-BMW Motorrad International.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 431
Hi all,

After reading all of this i am glad I did not put my 2015 TE in for a new model 2017, mm seems like BM have gone backwards with the suspension.
There is nothing wrong with suspension on my 2015 either solo, with luggage and 2 up loaded.
Looks like mine is a keeper!

Ian

Te Exculsive suspension

Here are some settings I suggest you try. Start by putting in these exactly. The instructions are in the owners manual that should be with the bike. It can be a bit of a fiddle .

1, Put the plug in dongle thingy in that's located under the seat.
2, Set to `Dynamic Pro` not Enduro Pro (mine seemed to want to default to Enduro)
3, Set suspension to `Auto`
3, Set Suspension mode ride to `Road`
4, Set DTC to `Road` while in the Dynamic Pro mode
5, Set engine throttle mode to Dynamic
6, up to you but if riding one up no luggage try tyres 2.3f 2.7r

This should give you a good base to work from.
I`d be extremely surprised if you do not end up with the best GS so far.

Cheers Den

Why do you say that? I would assume the auto levelling has any preload setting up to and including MAX at its disposal, so not sure what you would gain by selecting MAX, and you might find that it gives more preload than needed. The only beef I have with AUTO is that it does not make the preload adjustment until after you ride off. If you were previously riding solo and then on your next outing you have a pillion on board, the rear of the bike sags badly and is underdamped for the new load, and you have to ride off in that state until the system adjusts, which is not comfortable and arguably not safe. Also, as I found, if you don't retract the sidestand before the pillion gets on it can then be impossible to do so.

I thought a workaround for this might be to start off in MAX and change to AUTO later, but you can only do this if stopped, and then it just appears to drop the bike down to some default setting and only adjusts properly for the actual load once you start riding again.

It just seemed to me that with a pillion the suspension, for how I like it, was just a tad too soft. Bumpy B roads were quite a bouncy affair. Now I've not tried two up with luggage yet but based on experience so far I reckon it'll need to go on max setting. I may be wrong, this is just a hunch. A mate also has same bike and when he puts his 17 stone son on the back Auto mode just doesn't cut it. Max apparently is very good under these circumstances.

Many thanks to Den, do you think it will work the same way with the throttle response set in road as that is my preference.

Here are some settings I suggest you try. Start by putting in these exactly. The instructions are in the owners manual that should be with the bike. It can be a bit of a fiddle .

1, Put the plug in dongle thingy in that's located under the seat.
2, Set to `Dynamic Pro` not Enduro Pro (mine seemed to want to default to Enduro)
3, Set suspension to `Auto`
3, Set Suspension mode ride to `Road`
4, Set DTC to `Road` while in the Dynamic Pro mode
5, Set engine throttle mode to Dynamic
6, up to you but if riding one up no luggage try tyres 2.3f 2.7r

This should give you a good base to work from.
I`d be extremely surprised if you do not end up with the best GS so far.

Cheers Den

It was just loan bike for the day and they were my observations - I just switched the modes using the mode button and found that even in dynamic mode it wallowed a bit on fast sweepers and generally felt overly soft, even dynamic mode - however if there is another entire range of adjustment with the code plug in then I will try to arrange an extended test ride so that I can check it out.

Back
Top Bottom