1200 GS TE Exclusive suspension

It was just loan bike for the day and they were my observations - I just switched the modes using the mode button and found that even in dynamic mode it wallowed a bit on fast sweepers and generally felt overly soft, even dynamic mode - however if there is another entire range of adjustment with the code plug in then I will try to arrange an extended test ride so that I can check it out.

Let us know what you find? My reading of Dynamic Pro is it's an option which allows user-configurable defaults for engine mode and DTC - you can't adjust the individual settings away from those it leaves the factory with.

Wallowing in Dynamic damping mode? Blimey! That's not my experience and I'm not exactly a mere slip of a boy. Are you sure the tyres weren't under-inflated?

Good Thing I guess a map updated can change it if people are not happy.
I have an Exclusive now, just got it well 800 miles ago, I did notice you can adjust the ride height to a min / max what would be interesting though ( I have not tried it) if you set to a ride height you like, and then put back to auto will ride height stay same and the suspension is then self adjusting from the height set?

Good Thing I guess a map updated can change it if people are not happy.
I have an Exclusive now, just got it well 800 miles ago, I did notice you can adjust the ride height to a min / max what would be interesting though ( I have not tried it) if you set to a ride height you like, and then put back to auto will ride height stay same and the suspension is then self adjusting from the height set?

No doesn't work like that.. It'll just go back to auto and adjust to where it thinks is best as you ride.

It just seemed to me that with a pillion the suspension, for how I like it, was just a tad too soft. Bumpy B roads were quite a bouncy affair. Now I've not tried two up with luggage yet but based on experience so far I reckon it'll need to go on max setting. I may be wrong, this is just a hunch. A mate also has same bike and when he puts his 17 stone son on the back Auto mode just doesn't cut it. Max apparently is very good under these circumstances.

The point I was making was that if the load you put on the bike requires the maximum amount of preload, then that is what AUTO mode will select. So I believe that MAX does not give you anything that is not also available in AUTO mode if the ride height measured by the bike's sensors indicates that the maximum preload is required. I guess you might select MAX if you don't think AUTO is providing enough preload, or for some reason you want to jack up the rear of the bike, but in my experience it just makes the back of the bike too high.

Here are some settings I suggest you try. Start by putting in these exactly. The instructions are in the owners manual that should be with the bike. It can be a bit of a fiddle .

1, Put the plug in dongle thingy in that's located under the seat.
2, Set to `Dynamic Pro` not Enduro Pro (mine seemed to want to default to Enduro)
3, Set suspension to `Auto`
3, Set Suspension mode ride to `Road`
4, Set DTC to `Road` while in the Dynamic Pro mode
5, Set engine throttle mode to Dynamic
6, up to you but if riding one up no luggage try tyres 2.3f 2.7r

This should give you a good base to work from.
I`d be extremely surprised if you do not end up with the best GS so far.

Cheers Den
I could be wrong (I frequently am) but I don't think the PRO riding modes give you any setting which is not already available, apart from being able to tweek the traction control settings, and select a different engine mode to that normally associated with DYNA. Additionally, but only in ENDURO PRO mode, you can also change the ABS settings.

So if you go into setup mode for DYNA PRO you can set DTC (dynamic traction control) to RAIN, ROAD, or DYNA. You can then setup engine (i.e. throttle response) to RAIN, ROAD, or DYNA. That is it - you can't do anything to change the suspension damping setups to anything different to those which are already available, ROAD or DYNO, so if people don't like these choices then I don't see how going into DYNA PRO mode and tweeking DTC and ENGINE is going to help.

These instructions will see you end up with DYNA throttle mode combined with ROAD mode for DTC and ROAD mode for suspension damping. The only difference between that and standard ROAD mode with ROAD suspension is the throttle response.

I could be wrong (I frequently am) but I don't think the PRO riding modes give you any setting which is not already available, apart from being able to tweek the traction control settings, and select a different engine mode to that normally associated with DYNA. Additionally, but only in ENDURO PRO mode, you can also change the ABS settings.

So if you go into setup mode for DYNA PRO you can set DTC (dynamic traction control) to RAIN, ROAD, or DYNA. You can then setup engine (i.e. throttle response) to RAIN, ROAD, or DYNA. That is it - you can't do anything to change the suspension damping setups to anything different to those which are already available, ROAD or DYNO, so if people don't like these choices then I don't see how going into DYNA PRO mode and tweeking DTC and ENGINE is going to help.

These instructions will see you end up with DYNA throttle mode combined with ROAD mode for DTC and ROAD mode for suspension damping. The only difference between that and standard ROAD mode with ROAD suspension is the throttle response.

That's the way I read it too, and that's why I haven't bothered with the Pro Plug. The only benefit I could see was if you wanted to do some serous off-roading and wanted to play with DTC and ABS settings. I suppose it would also offer you ROAD damping with DYNA throttle mapping - but why would you want that ?

And I'm not sure the low tyre pressures will help. When I test rode my bike the first time, the front was at 2.3 rear at 2.8 - and the front end was horribly vague on anything but the smoothest surface. So much so I very nearly didn't get one - a second ride at the usual 2.5/2.9 was MUCH better.

Last edited:
That's the way I read it too, and that's why I haven't bothered with the Pro Plug. The only benefit I could see was if you wanted to do some serous off-roading and wanted to play with DTC and ABS settings. I suppose it would also offer you ROAD damping with DYNA throttle mapping - but why would you want that ?

Yes exactly. I suppose in the case of on-road, if for some reason you wanted to use DYNA mode but with more restrictive DTC, then this would let you - but I can't see why you would want that either!

In any case it is not addressing the OP's concerns regarding the ROAD and DYNA suspension damping settings.

Agreed Fred. I've found the suspension great for me. We have a couple of badly rutted, washboard surface here and there back lanes near me and they are perfectly fine at legal speeds plus a fair bit. I reckon different tyres will have an effect too - sidewall stiffness will be different, and I find the front end with Anakees very sensitive to low pressure. And a lot will depend on what you're used too - I've come from a 2010 RT with 32k suspension so perhaps I'm not the best judge ��

I had my bike 1st Service yesterday, when I rode it home It was awful tram lining, front end seemed light, even the gear changed seemed clunky, using the rear brake seemed very different too, I thought what had they done, or I really need to change the tyres. Today before I went out I noticed settings for Road were just min, so I toggled back to auto, the difference in everything about the bike was huge when ridden, I had also put 25 kg of weight into the rear top box, (yes I know it only has a max of what ever) and quite frankly the bike handled it really well to the point it was not in there, when it was removed again bike felt the same.
I would not say the Suspension was soft at all, it stiffens up well, but I would say it is like a big arm chair it soaks up everything just in a relaxed slow way giving that feel of maybe too soft.
Still early days for me coming from a DVT Multi it has a lot to live up to, but I am not disappointed so far, and those little things that the Multi does not have I do like.
So all in all the right settings are very important.

I was going to order my new GS on Saturday to replace my 15 plate TE but I really don't know whether to? We did test ride an Exclusive for about 100 miles and I wasn't too sure about the suspension it seemed ok in most conditions but a bit harsh on some bumpy roads. As well as the suspension I can't decide between an Exclusive or a black TE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh well I have taken a chance and ordered an Exclusive this morning, picking up the middle of July after our holiday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have now covered 1300 miles on my Rallye. I too felt that the road setting was too soft at first but have now come to believe that this is the genius of the system in that the suspension seems soft and comfy but it is actually doing a good job too (if that makes sense). I now think the settings give you the best of both worlds. Good handling but when you hit rough surfaces it give you a good ride over them. I am not a riding god (but closely related :augie) but it is starting to make sense to me.

I came from a 2010 TC GS with ESA and have found it to be a much, much sportier ride (which I'm happy about). In fact I rode a mates 2010 TC yesterday and found it very willowy and soft so I pushed the button to change the ESA into Sport only to find that it already was!

As others have said. I do find myself flicking from road to dynamic during a ride to suit the road ahead and my mood and I am always in auto setting.

Just my two pennies worth.

As others have said. I do find myself flicking from road to dynamic during a ride to suit the road ahead and my mood and I am always in auto setting.

You should not be having to keep swapping the damping about, how about a setting that sat in the middle of the two, would it not be almost perfect for 90% of your riding?
The previous gen ESA had one, it is called normal.
If BMW are going to make changes, they should be for the better, not just for the sake of it

You should not be having to keep swapping the damping about, how about a setting that sat in the middle of the two, would it not be almost perfect for 90% of your riding?
If BMW are going to make changes, they should be for the better, not just for the sake of it

Eh? Why not change when riding? I do, and did on the last GS too. Thats what the button's for. Comfort in Road mode, and tighten it up by toggling to Dynamic when pressing on where appropriate.

For me, ROAD is that position. UK roads aren't good enough for DYNAMIC most of the time - where I live anyway.

Eh? Why not change when riding? I do, and did on the last GS too. Thats what the button's for. Comfort in Road mode, and tighten it up by toggling to Dynamic when pressing on where appropriate.
I don't mind changing settings, and do, and did on my '14 model. I shouldn't be having to do it so often. Fortunately it is very easy to do, even with out looking.
The front end is fine, all the movement is at the back end. When riding on an undulating surface it feels as if the rear is going up and down a lot rotating about the front axle. This is most noticeable at, for me, normal riding speed. If I change to DYNA then the bike is skipping across bumps and ripples and then I need to switch back again, and so it goes on.
For me, on this bike, it is almost like riding the '14 bike with just soft and hard damping.
I will get the dealer to check it out next service

When on my 4 day tour of the lake district I absolutely loved my suspension settings.

Dynamic Mode, 1 Helmet, then alternated between Hard and Soft depending on road surface.

Switched to Rain Mode, 1 Helmet and Soft for the Hardknott Pass.

Had a very bumpy roller-coaster road in Dynamic and Soft. Absolutely great.

Love it.

I genuineley believe the the concerns the various esa systems are causing for so many experienced riders,
The affect on confidence, the distraction of fiddling with settings, riding off with less than ideal ride height etc, and expectatons not met,
I have tended to shy away from all the on the move distractions, with the focus on enjoying the simple pleasures of the ride and being involved in whats happening ,
To this end i have mainly gone with good quality manual suspension properly set up,
The only tweaks are pre load for a passenger and learning how many turns that takes,
Far from being smug, i am concerned that suspension technology should be such a mixed bag for such an important part , thats supposed to be more advanced and convenient,
Roamer,

I genuineley believe the the concerns the various esa systems are causing for so many experienced riders,
The affect on confidence, the distraction of fiddling with settings, riding off with less than ideal ride height etc, and expectatons not met,
I have tended to shy away from all the on the move distractions, with the focus on enjoying the simple pleasures of the ride and being involved in whats happening ,
To this end i have mainly gone with good quality manual suspension properly set up,
The only tweaks are pre load for a passenger and learning how many turns that takes,
Far from being smug, i am concerned that suspension technology should be such a mixed bag for such an important part , thats supposed to be more advanced and convenient,
Roamer,

I would have agreed on a specific bike set up for you.

But having now experienced electronic suspension, I love it.

Its not a distraction at all.

Get on the bike (are you solo, carrying pillion or luggage)

Set up ride height with a button (if you have to).

Is it raining?

Set up Rain, Road or Dynamic (if you want to)

Then set off on your ride.

The only other button, which isnt a distraction but a bloody godsend, is adjusting between Hard, Normal or Soft on the fly as you ride.

Really nice to flick between lanes (soft) and twisties or carriageways (hard)

Its ace.

Well, i took mine for 600 service and asked them to check suspension as I felt it was soft. They said nothing wrong but after that I found no problems so I guess they left it set up different.
Perhaps percervere with adjusting settings.

I have now covered 1300 miles on my Rallye. I too felt that the road setting was too soft at first but have now come to believe that this is the genius of the system in that the suspension seems soft and comfy but it is actually doing a good job too (if that makes sense). I now think the settings give you the best of both worlds. Good handling but when you hit rough surfaces it give you a good ride over them. I am not a riding god (but closely related :augie) but it is starting to make sense to me.

I came from a 2010 TC GS with ESA and have found it to be a much, much sportier ride (which I'm happy about). In fact I rode a mates 2010 TC yesterday and found it very willowy and soft so I pushed the button to change the ESA into Sport only to find that it already was!

I have the 2017 GS TE and tend to agree with you. Having been following this discussion I did about 200 miles today with my wife on the back. I had it set in riding mode ROAD, suspension mode ROAD, and ride height on AUTO, and I couldn't fault it. It handled well despite the load, and was extremely comfortable even over poor surfaces, so I think the fast compression damping is spot on. Road undulations could cause a fair amount of suspension movement but it was reasonably well damped - maybe the slow compression damping could be a little higher, though possibly at the expense of comfort, but I guess that is what DYNA mode is for. Also, I suppose if a road had continuous undulations then the dynamic damping adjustment might detect that and firm up a bit to counter it. Overall I'm very happy with it. Perhaps I am just easily satisfied, but it is easily the best suspension of any bike I have owned.

Back
Top Bottom