F800 GS "Head Shake"

Spitfire

Reaction score
Hi All

Recently purchased a lovely F800GS 2012.

It's running Metezler Karoo 3 front and rear.

Hyperpro front springs. (standard length)
Standard rear spring.
Heavy duty tubes with tyre gunk.

Just did a quick trip to France. Above 140KMH (90MPH) the head shake is quite violent.

I have checked the head bearing torque and this is correct.

Tyre pressures are as per the manual. (32 & 36 PSI)

I have done some reading on this and there seems to be conflicting theories with regard to suspension. Some say the forks should be raised up the clamps and the rear pre-load increased adding weight to the front of the bike.

The other theory is the opposite. Push the forks down the clamps and reduce the rear pre-load thus raking out the front forks increasing the wheelbase.

Just wondered what the elders of the internet think or if anyone has had similar issue on a F800GS?

I'm wondering if the tubes and tyre slime are part of the problem? Should I get the front balanced? Or is there an issue with the tyre?

When I went to France I only had a ruck sack no luggage.

I was thinking of swapping the tyre and tube tomorrow just to see what that did.

Currently the forks are set at the default height in the triple clamps (there is a mark about 8 mm down from the top)

The preload is set to near Max which did seem to help however I dont think it the right way to go. Im not a heavy person (78kg) and the manual states the default preload should be set to min.

Rebound is set to default (1.5 turns from max)

I know dual sport tyres are not the best at high speed but this head shake is quite violent. My KTM adventure had TKC80s and that never shook at all, although to be fair it did have a steering damper!

cheers
Pete

Mines never shaken its head in 40k miles, maybe I'm riding it wrong!

I've not had Karoo's on it tho - I ran Tourance Next for a set but now I'm sworn on Continental Trail Attacks, which I run at 32 front and 42 rear (I'm a fair bit bigger than you!)

Mine wobbled from new on the over run at about 40-50 mph with the OEM Scorpions tyres fixed with a set of Anakee 3s

So how worn is the front tyre? Is the tread cupping? Is it wearing evenly? Is the tyre/wheel balanced properly?
So the choices are: get a new tyre; try it without the gloop; don't go over 90mph...
Thinking further it could be caused by the rear tyre. So all the questions apply to back as well as front.

How was the bike loaded ? I've had two and neither did this, but I did have a similar occurrence on another bike, but it was heavily laden and with a pillion.

*Update*

I replaced the front tyre and tube. Put all the suspension settings back to stock.

If anything it was worse :mad:

I did a test. Rode the bike and when it started to shake I moved forward, no change.

I then slid as far as I could towards the back of the seat.....bingo no wobble.....

So I need to raise the front or lower the rear.

However the preload is set to minimum on the rear and the forks are as far down in the clamps as they can go....

I'm going to try fitting some spacers in the forks to increase the preload.

cheers for all the comments :beerjug:

If the forks are as far down as they can go I'd put them as standard just to see. I know it seems like the wrong way but it strikes me that if something is as far as it will go maby it is too far? JJH

My Triumph Explorer 1200 had a real wobble at around 90. The panniers were moveable with a rod between them and adjusting this cured the problem.

Normally it's only seen if:
- tyre pressure is wrong
- the front forks sits to high in the triple clamps

Also something which could have influence; if your rear suspension is too soft.

A little update for future reference for any F800 owners.

After a bit of experimentation I have really improved the head shake.

First I measured my weight fully kitted up.... 91kg.

I then checked the rider sag on the front of the bike. It was too high with the Hyperpro springs and their recommended oil level.

I made up some spacers for the forks (15mm tall) and now the rider sag is 66mm. This is a little under now but it seemed to work OK.

Rear preload is 2 turns from min.

I also fitted the standard screen which is lower than the touring one previously fitted.

The bike is now much better for being raked out on the front, well at least for my weight and body shape. Much more stable.

I could go even more by fitting a 25mm lowering spring on the rear. But Ill live with it as it is for now.

By the way I've tested the bike on and off road and the above setup seems pretty good.

cheers
P

I've just picked up a new to me 800gs yesterday. It's my 3rd 80gs and has the front end wobble at 80mph and it gets worse if you increase the speed. It's got brand new mitas e07 fitted. I'm going to get it rebalanced and I'll re set up the rear preload later today. Checked the tyre pressures and they were 30 front and 30 rear so I've increased those to 34 38. The bike has done 3800 miles so don't think it's bearings etc...

Another update.

Although the bike was much better it still wasn't how I'd like it.

I swapped out the rear tyre as it was getting down a bit and I'm off to France this weekend.

Sorted, completely. Its now rock solid at any speed I care to ride at :beerjug:

For the record I did have Karoo 3's on the bike it now has Michelin Anakee Wild front and back.

cheers

How'd you rate the Anakee Wilds? I'm torn between them & TKC 80s - mostly on road riding but I'd like the option to go to Thetford/Salisbury Plain etc without swapping tyres/wheels...

Damon

How'd you rate the Anakee Wilds? I'm torn between them & TKC 80s - mostly on road riding but I'd like the option to go to Thetford/Salisbury Plain etc without swapping tyres/wheels...

Damon

Hi Damon. So far they are very close. I would say the Anakee have the edge in the dirt and the TKC on the road. Not much though difference though. I think the Anakee are slightly cheaper. What's yet to be decided is wear rate, the TKC rear on my last bike was dire, I haven't had the Anakee long enough to know yet.

That said I'm currently in France and have ridden 650miles (1000km) and so far they look fresh as a daisy !

cheers
Bon Weekend :beerjug:

PS: I see youre down the road from me! I'm between Newmarket and Cambridge.

Cool!! I'l try TKC 80s first then & see how I get on with them - I'll ping you when I've fitted then & try them out!

D

Back
Top Bottom