Rear OEM shock - 1150 GSA

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Noticed that both wheels are touching the ground when the bike is on the centre stand. Forgot about it. Then took my old man somewhere and went to adjust the preload only to discover it's REALLY stiff to turn the adjuster. So it's obviously stuck in a 'high' setting, despite what the adjuster says.

So I'm thinking I need to get the unit out and look at it. I had it serviced a couple of years ago so haven't expected anything to go amiss with it.

Anyone else had this? Is it the adjuster or is the fluid low in the adjuster?

Would be good to have some ideas before I get it off.

Cheers

I was advised, after I had the 1100 shocks rebuilt to fully adjust it high/low every couple of months to stop it seizing.

Hopefully, if you can get it on a bench, with no load, it will adjust.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I was advised, after I had the 1100 shocks rebuilt to fully adjust it high/low every couple of months to stop it seizing.

Hopefully, if you can get it on a bench, with no load, it will adjust.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Thanks for that. Interesting.

I've not heard that. But after this winter, in which I was doing lots of long commutes on salty roads, I seem to have found a lot more corrosion than normal. So maybe after 2 years the shock just needs some tlc.

On my 1150GSA, I have always adjusted the preload damping via the remote reservoir, especially when loaded for camping. But, while fitting a new exhaust system, I noticed again (since God knows when), the adjustable 'rebound' screw on the bottom of the rear shock. For the first time since buying in 2003, I turned it towards -> H. Never adjusted the front shock (if adjustable).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On my 1150GSA, I have always adjusted the preload damping via the remote reservoir, especially when loaded for camping. But, while fitting a new exhaust system, I noticed again (since God knows when), the adjustable 'rebound' screw on the bottom of the rear shock. For the first time since buying in 2003, I turned it towards -> H. Never adjusted the front shock (if adjustable).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've got a Wilbers up front . Very adjustable and makes a differenceover the oem.

Since last Nov I haven't needed to adjust the preload, the damping I adjust more often. I'm surrounded by those friggin road humps where I live, so to ensure I can steam over them I adjust the damping if I'm I'm town only. Takes 5sec.

Meanwhile, the preload has not been adjusted but has been through a salty winter...I tried Tractors suggestion and I'm finding it only really gets stiff when is approaching the last 1/4, toward max, then it starts resisting. I think it Needs to come off. So I'll do it on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom