Sorting my seat

Littledumptruck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, I'll start by admitting I'm a proper tosser, super size, so I know I put more weight through my arse onto any bike seat, so I can suffer more than most.
But I do find the 1200's seat to be really bad. To be honest you only have to flip the bloody thing over to see why. The base of the seat is scalloped, so it forces you into one positon, the bottom of the curve:blast
Now some years ago I had my 850GS's seat reworked, after I damaged my coccix in a fall. I provided the trimmer with a couple of garden kneeler pads to make a new firmer base layer, cut into a C shape, leaving the inside of the C with soft foam just where my coccix is. Now this seat is still one of the best I've ever used. Better than both my Pan and Blackird, and way way better than the 1200.
So this evening I decided it was time to tackle it, especially as I'm away on a weekend ride with a group going from the lowest road to the highest in the UK. Basically just south of Peterborough to the Lecht in the Cairngorms, in a day, back the next!

So I started by removing the staples around 3 sides, folded the cover over and removed the foam.
First pic shows where I filled the 4 grooves with strips of foam from a sleep mat my sister gave me after it got eaten by mice! (Her guides wouldn't use it with the chewed edges:augie)
Next came two layers from a kneeler pad, cut and shaped to level the base out and provide a very firm and flat base.
This was topped with a layer from the sleep mat, folded over the sides to soften the firm edges.
The original foam was then attacked with a bread knife, removing a fair chunk, until it sat back over the new base layers. Had to get the wife to help staple the cover back in place, she managed to miss my fingers....just:eek:
So there she is. Doesnt look any different, which was the plan. First impressions are it's a bit taller, which might be an issue:blast.
I guess I'll find out come saturday.......

Attachments

• IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_1513.JPG
    IMG_1513.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 310
I have the same problem with my Coccyx, and I can only do a few miles on my R1200GS low seat, need to do something but not sure I am as brave as you in hacking it apart!

So what is the sheepy thing?

Excellent
I had a low seat which came with the bike was thinking of tackling that rather then hacking the original.
How much spare cover is there if you use more foam ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd guess that the low seat won't have enough cover unless you keep it low. Otherwise best to get a spare std seat to adapt.
I only have two special tools, a staple remover and an electric staple gun. After that its just 6mm staples and a can of aerosol spray glue, oh and an old bread knife.

So to keep brian happy, a last minute addition.......
Knew i had a sheep skin somewhere :)

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 223
So I got home 10.30 last night, having covered 976miles in two days, not a bad wee jaunt.
Seat was a huge improvement, I've still got a very sore arse, but it was way better. With the original design I'd get pretty sore within 50-100 miles. Not convinced the sheepy adds much, maybe it needs to be a better one. I do think it made things worse when we hit horrendous rain above Penrith, soaking up water which effectively meant I was sat in a puddle. I'm wondering if I can proof it with texwash? Need to die it black too.

Back
Top Bottom