where can you buy Garmin maps in person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Off to Europe middle of next week and have been badly let down by Handtec who look like they have lost my order for Garmin City Navigator. Its too late to order from anywhere else and I don't really want a download from Garmin as it becomes locked to one device only.

So, where in the North West, or en-route to Hull can I buy Garmin City Navigator for all of Europe in person?

Or does anyone have an SD card I can buy or perhaps borrow for 6-7weeks?

Or does anyone have an SD card I can buy or perhaps borrow for 6-7weeks?

Don't bother with that idea, as the detailed map on the card will be linked to one device and it probably won't be yours.

My suggestion: Download the maps of where you are going to from Open Street Maps. They are safe, free, fully routable and Garmin friendly. Job done.

Don't bother with that idea, as the detailed map on the card will be linked to one device and it probably won't be yours.

My suggestion: Download the maps of where you are going to from Open Street Maps. They are safe, free, fully routable and Garmin friendly. Job done.

I borrowed an SD card from someone a couple of years ago and all was OK. He did buy the map off a market trader though.

OSM? I just looked. I assume just select the countries I need (12 of them I think), download, copy to an SD card and install into Sat nav and Bob's your uncle.

Do exactly that with Open Street Maps.

The SD card your mate brought on a market stall (which you then borrowed) was probably an unlocked pirated copy. You might get lucky again... or you might not.... and time is ticking.

There are websites out there where you can download pirated copies of Garmin maps.

Search Google with something like: Download free Garmin map

Here's one plucked at random:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lis8HNgHWr8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Wapping. The OSM maps look fine and I am busily but slowly downloading maps as I type. Germany took 4 hours overnight but I assume that is the biggest one I will need. Hopefully Scandinavia with its limited road network will be a lot quicker.

Meanwhile I am enjoying making Handtec customer services squirm over their failure to deliver - heck I even got emails saying dispatched, collected by royal mail complete with tracking number when in fact they didn't have any stock at all.

Hah, I just discovered you can download multiple countries at a time :) All of Scandinavia and Northern Europe is on its way to an SD card near me. Actually I need a bigger one (don't we all :) )

I've been using OSM for years and did a chunk of the west coast of the US a few years ago with them. Spot on!

From memory, the only thing you don't get with OSM is speed camera alerts but I'm sure this would not bother you ...... :D

Harrumph, I seem to have hit the limit on my Montana 600. I downloaded what I need country by country but not all the maps will display, let alone come up on my list of maps. They are on the card as I can view them via Basecamp. I guess it will mean carrying two cards with the countries split between them.

Harrumph, I seem to have hit the limit on my Montana 600. I downloaded what I need country by country but not all the maps will display, let alone come up on my list of maps. They are on the card as I can view them via Basecamp. I guess it will mean carrying two cards with the countries split between them.

I am in the same situation with my Montana 600 having just updated to 2018.10 - not enough internal memory for the complete CN Europe map. In reality none of us rarely need all of Europe in one hit, and can manage with selected countries/segments. Next time around I will probably add a 32gb micro sd card and save the new updates there rather than the internal memory.

I am in the same situation with my Montana 600 having just updated to 2018.10 - not enough internal memory for the complete CN Europe map. In reality none of us rarely need all of Europe in one hit, and can manage with selected countries/segments. Next time around I will probably add a 32gb micro sd card and save the new updates there rather than the internal memory.

Its not the size of the card, but something to to do with either tiles or segments (could be the same thing but with different names). Anyway the limit is about 4000 segments and its up to the guys who compile the maps how many segments they make a map up with. I assume that Garmin's EU maps that fit on a 4gb SD card has fewer than 4000 segments.

To release space on the internal memory try deleting some of the stuff bundled with the unit. I deleted the birdseye files i don't use so I could get a bit more in there and then run an 8gb card in the slot. I can fit all 12 OSM maps I need on the card but they won't all display due to the number of segments (I think anyway).

Am I reading this right, a garmin zumo 340 with a Western Europe map and no free updates could be made to run a full Europe map and be updated to latest naps by loading osm on to the card and the device will navigate me in same way as if I'd bought a zumo 390?

Am I reading this right, a garmin zumo 340 with a Western Europe map and no free updates could be made to run a full Europe map and be updated to latest naps by loading osm on to the card and the device will navigate me in same way as if I'd bought a zumo 390?

you can load OSM onto your unit and they will be up to date, they are not the same maps as the garmin maps, (some say better than) garmin, you do lose the post code search but apart from that they are fully functional, and you could if you so wished to, load more than europe on.

Whilst Garmin will supply very detailed Western Europe maps that stretch from north Finland to the bottom of Spain and from Greece to the west of Ireland in one complete download, Open Street Maps, limit the number of map tiles you can do in one go. So, to build the same area as a full Garmin download would require several goes. But, hey, it's free, so no great price to pay. You might require several SD cards but again, very few people need to go from Helsinki to Lisbon via Athens and Dublin in one go.

I have got the following OSM maps on one 8gb card: Netherlands, Germany, Czech & Slovakian republics, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Luxembourg, Ireland, Iceland. With UK in the units memory. Of that list though only up to Finland will actually display due to the 4000 segment limit. However as long as I have a cable and any old computer it's easy enough to drag and drop map files in and out of the "Garmin" folder on the card so I can see what I need to see.

When I get back from my Scandinavia and North Europe trip I will download the rest of Europe onto another card for a future trip.

I tried some other non- Garmin maps a couple of years ago from Talkytoaster and didn't rate them at all - very weird routing but these new pOSM maps I am liking what I am getting so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom