Part Exchange: 1150GS Adv / 1200GS Adv

Gab

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently been asked whether I'd like to trade my 1150GS m.y. 2005 (final edition, white and blue) with some 2010-2012 1200GS Adventure.

All the bikes have pretty low mileage and are full spec'ed (ABS, ASC, ESA, full luggage, Dynamic and Premium package, etc.).

There is just one bike, which is a 2010 30th Anniversary, that doesn't have ABS. Would you ever take a non ABS fitted bike into consideration?

My question for you is: would you ever part exchange a 1150 (m.y. 2005) with a 1200 (m.y. 2010-2013)?

I know most of the differences between the two bikes and I also know in terms of handling, power, torque, etc. the 1200 is much better. I'm just not sure whether I'd ever regret to have sold my 1150 though.

Advice welcome!

Thanks,

Gab

I've had a few of both..... just sold a 2001 1150GS and now have a 2010 Twin Cam Adventure.... and I'm happy that I did it :thumb It's down to personal preference.... the twin cam is a much more modern bike than the 1150, lighter and more bells and whistles.... Wouldn't bother me if there was no ABS :thumb2

I've had a few of both..... just sold a 2001 1150GS and now have a 2010 Twin Cam Adventure.... and I'm happy that I did it :thumb It's down to personal preference.... the twin cam is a much more modern bike than the 1150, lighter and more bells and whistles.... Wouldn't bother me if there was no ABS :thumb2

Hi Bryn,

Thanks for your reply.

I love my 1150 and I think that along with the original R80 G/S it is and it will be always 'the' GS. Although technology moves on and the 1200 seems to be a lot more bike. And you are confirming that.

Why wouldn't you bother about not having the ABS? Could you please explain it further?

Thanks,

Gab

I see you live in London. In a couple of years you'll have to pay the emissions tax to ride a 2005 bike into central london. If that matters in your own situation, I'd update.

Given free choice I'd personally keep a nice 1150 over a nice 1200. No particular logic other than I just like them somehow in their tractor-ness.

I would not buy a bike without abs. If it only saves an off just once in the lifetime of the bike that is well enough for me.

Bike for bike, I would go for the 1200 over the 1150. I suppose you can call it progress. Later on, you could always buy another 1150, they seem to be always advertised. Back from the Dent event, even most of the grey hairs had 1200's. How many in the passed extolled the virtues of the hex head and part exe'd airhead GS's as soon as Charlie and Ewan amazed everyone on tv.
Same procedure as when the 1200 came on the seen. It was the adventure bike to be seen on and like C & E again on tv, the machine to be seen on round the bike pub.
It made Touratech famous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had many 1150GSA's, 1200GSA and a LC GSA. Currently have a silver 02 1150GSA with 42k on it

They are all top bikes and would happily do a deal against another 12GSA. Although as mentioned above I would def aim for the last incarnation of the oil head 12GSA i.e. Twin cam. Which If I remember correctly is from 2009 onwards.

It has a bit more BHP iirc, proper fuel tank float rather than fuel strip and I'm sure a few other bits sorted out over the previous two 1200's.
Whether you are comfortable with non ABS is personal preference really. My current bike is non ABS but would actually prefer a bike with ABS.

I'd never buy a bike with ABS

Complex and unnecessary, more to go wrong...........a friend's ABS has gone tits up on a 2008 1200 GSA and he's looking at £1000 plus, to fix it

If you rely on ABS for your safety...................you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle

BTW - 1150's are great:D

Personally, I miss the 1150 aka Tiger it'd flatten anything in its path !

Is the 12 a better bike, in some respects yes, if you're going to do your own maintenance etc; stick with the 1150.

As for abs, yes the electronic aids are fandabidosie but the word aid is the give away.

Adds complexity and weight, "can" fail; but might mean the difference between living or dying. If all things were equal, I'd go for one with abs rather than without, also the same with asc. I wouldn't bother with the esa, overcomplex and one size fits nobody. However that's only my view and tuppence worth.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

That's an understatement!:D

Not only would I not part-exchange my R1150GSA SE for a 1200, but I wouldn't take a fully specced brand-new 1200 as a straight swap.

But Bryn, you never ever keep a bike longer than six months, if that :D

Hi Bryn,

Thanks for your reply.

I love my 1150 and I think that along with the original R80 G/S it is and it will be always 'the' GS. Although technology moves on and the 1200 seems to be a lot more bike. And you are confirming that.

Why wouldn't you bother about not having the ABS? Could you please explain it further?

Thanks,

Gab

So what's the drive behind considering changing bikes? A new one coming out doesn't make your current bike any worse.

If you are dissatisfied with your 1150, then try working out what part of it (weight, power, consumption etc) you are fed up with - then decide whether another bike will better suit your needs. If not, then why throw more money into a depreciating asset?

When I bought my R1200GSA new in 2011 I specified non ABS and non ESA , less to go wrong and none the worse for not having them

Thanks everybody for all the comments. I'll try to reply to as many as possible.

Yes, I live in London but the emissions tax won't bother me as I never ride to work. I cycle to work: greener, healthier and considering the London traffic... faster :D

Regarding the ABS, I see all the reasons why some people advise to have and some others don't. I'm not a huge ABS fan and before owning my 1150 I've always ridden bike not fitted with it. However, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable riding an almost 300kg bike without it, especially considering the type of front suspension the GS has got. Some BMW maniacs suggest to always have ABS when it comes to a bike fitted with telelever. Don't ask me why.

The main reasons why I'm considering to change is because of the way the 1200 ride: lighter, more power, more torque, handles better (ESA), better fuel consumption, etc. Basically all the things that the technology made the 1200 a better bike than the 1150. And I'm only referring and considering a post 2010 model (twin cam). I know they are not only better but also much more reliable in comparison to the pre 2010 models.

I've just come back from a trip in Cornwall: two up plus luggage and did almost 750 miles in 2 days. The bike did great and for that kind of ride (mostly touring with a tiny bit of off-road) it behaved as I'd have wanted. Although, I often find myself thinking: what if I had an 1200? Would it be a lot better? That's a question I cannot answer.

Mike O made a very good point. Below the reasons why I'm considering to change:
- Weight
- Power (weight / power ratio)
- Handling (see above), where the 1200 wins hands down
- Fuel consumption, which is not bad, but the 1200 is certainly better
In order to make the 1150 better I'd probably need to spend a few thousands and I wouldn't be sure if the result could be that good. There will need to be almost 1 grand to be spent for the suspensions (i.e. Wilbers). I couldn't squeeze much more power from that engine because it would become less reliable and also more 'thirsty'. I wouldn't know how to reduce the weight, unless I decided to transform it in a special bike (i.e. Cafe Racer Dreams or some other guys who do those crazy things).

As I mentioned above, I love my 1150 because it is the exact model and colour that I wanted, although since the bike is not only an object to be looked at but also (especially) something to be ridden, it is what makes me feel when I ride it that counts in the end.

I cannot answer to my questions... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom