Waterproof over jacket

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On occasions, in heavy downpours whether on or off the bike, most jackets eventually start getting damp and letting in water.
I keep in my pannier a set of Aerostitch over boot covers and pants. These don't go a jacket cover.
So now looking for one similar to go over the jacket.

Does not have to be biker orientated or logo', just waterproof and can be packed down into its own pocket.

No insulation required. Thought of a poncho but, it would be flapping about to much.

Any suggestions?
Goretex breathable or similar tough material.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you don't require something with a recognised motorcycle logo/brand I use a Berghaus waterproof jacket for summer showers, the rain runs off it, it's never leaked and packs down into it's hood (which in turn folds away into the collar).

Any particular name the jacket has 'oddshapedballs'?
Made from Gore Tex or Hydroshell material?

Just from their photos, jackets go from £30 - £200.

Any particular name the jacket has 'oddshapedballs'?
Made from Gore Tex or Hydroshell material?

Just from their photos, jackets go from £30 - £200.

Sorry, I have the Berghaus RG Delta, just the shell not the 3-in-1, I think it was about the 80-90 quid mark. It goes over my Dianesse mesh armoured jacket during the summer so I bought it snug fitting so I can also use it for walking.

I use a Berghaus 'Paclite' Goretex top and trews over twatsuit / leathers and also tend to pack them if out generally (not on the bike) or on pushbike. They were about £90 and £80 and:

1 - Have been utterly waterproof.

2 - Are not anywhere near as sweaty as rubberised nylon things.

3 - Really easy and light to carry. The pair together are about the size of a hedgehog, 1.25 liters of oil or very small bag of chips (surely these are universal ways of describing a volume?).

4 - Probably wouldn't withstand a crash very well, but I guess That's what the stuff under them is for.

If I lost mine, I'd happily buy the same again.

Revit Cyclone - totally waterproof and breathable - HiViz or black - £50

Attachments

• IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 405
I use a Berghaus 'Paclite' Goretex top and trews over twatsuit / leathers and also tend to pack them if out generally (not on the bike) or on pushbike. They were about £90 and £80 and:

1 - Have been utterly waterproof.

2 - Are not anywhere near as sweaty as rubberised nylon things.

3 - Really easy and light to carry. The pair together are about the size of a hedgehog, 1.25 liters of oil or very small bag of chips (surely these are universal ways of describing a volume?).

4 - Probably wouldn't withstand a crash very well, but I guess That's what the stuff under them is for.

If I lost mine, I'd happily buy the same again.

+1. Been using gore Pac lite for several years, a bit fragile so you need to take care, especially if kneeling a lot( LC owner checking for corrosion :D). Costs more than some of the plasticy 'bike' waterproofs but far more breathable and comfortable.

I have a superb Scott over jacket that I always shove over my cheap, not very waterproof Furygan jacket when it rains. It's had about 3a lot of use use ( used to spend all day visiting clients in the bike 3-4 days a week )in the past 4yrs but it's always waterproof, packs size is about 2 hedgehogs and is coated with something on the inside that makes it very easy to put on. Elasticated cuffs with velcro too make a firm fit over your gloves , cinch strap at the base and collar . It's a really great jacket.

I bought mine from Motorcycke Essentials in Cannock so not far from you.

Thanks all. Well OK, the sun is beaming outside after some rain in the early hours. We may expect some showers today still, out for a ride to gooutdoors camping shop in Warrington as I have a discount card and a 15% off voucher on purchases.
Wearing airflow gear so will be looking for a light rain jacket there just in case.

To be honest, I nearly choked on the prices for the more expensive rain jackets at the shop and did not buy as planned. Could have bought my first bike (new RD250) on the cost of one gore tex jacket on show.
A sign of the times me thinks.

I have a superb Scott over jacket that I always shove over my cheap, not very waterproof Furygan jacket when it rains. It's had about 3a lot of use use ( used to spend all day visiting clients in the bike 3-4 days a week )in the past 4yrs but it's always waterproof, packs size is about 2 hedgehogs and is coated with something on the inside that makes it very easy to put on. Elasticated cuffs with velcro too make a firm fit over your gloves , cinch strap at the base and collar . It's a really great jacket.

I bought mine from Motorcycke Essentials in Cannock so not far from you.

I have one too

As long as you don't mind looking like action man then army surplus goretex gear can be easily found for under £40.

Back
Top Bottom