Alternatives to the 1200GSA?

scoobert

Reaction score
With the fact that many 1200GS/GSA are rusting very badly, what are us rich folks to buy?
I know there are a lot of bikes out there, but what one is the best right now?
Should we just buy a BMW, strip it to bare metal, and paint it ourselves?
A bit miffed what my next bike should be. The Africa twin seems to be having paint issues now.
Has anyone not made the switch to eco-retard paint?

I've had mine for two years and 17,000klms and not a spot of rust of corrosion. Nearly all of that time I lived two streets from the beach

Well I know there are issues with rust ect. on the beemers. But I thought rich people just bought a new one every year. For me there is no other bike I'd rather have. At 56 years old I'm feeling that it'll keep me going for 10 years at least and I'll assess what my needs are then. I have to retire at 60 from my current job and that might end my sky high mileage. Or it might mean more miles. My youngest will be starting college then so who knows? But honestly if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd just buy another one. JJH

Ducati Multistrada
Triumph Explorer
Honda Africa Twin
Honda Cross Tourer
KTM Adventure
Yamaha R1M
Kawasaki H2R

Tried a few of the others but prefer riding my GSA. not too bothered about the rust. They all do it!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The only bike I have tried that would woo me from my GSA TC is the Multistrada Enduro.....epic in every regard and to my mind better than the GSA LC in every regard....but not £10k to change epic.

I've had mine for two years and 17,000klms and not a spot of rust of corrosion. Nearly all of that time I lived two streets from the beach

Seems to have started on the late 2015 models. Examples have been given from before then in the same conditions in perfect nick.

Ducati Multistrada
Triumph Explorer
Honda Africa Twin
Honda Cross Tourer
KTM Adventure
Yamaha R1M
Kawasaki H2R

You missed the part of the question about what ones do not suffer from corrosion in a years time. The honda has been showing issues now too.

Seems to have started on the late 2015 models. Examples have been given from before then in the same conditions in perfect nick.

You missed the part of the question about what ones do not suffer from corrosion in a years time. The honda has been showing issues now too.

Mine GS was built in Dec of 2015 and is a MY 2016 model.

Buy the BMW and clean it, or order one of the house staff to clean it.

Ducati Multi Strada
Any one of the numerous versions of the KTM 1090/1190/1290 Adventure range
Aprilia Caponord
Suzuki V Strom 1000
Yamaha Super Tenere
Honda Africa Twin
Triumph Explorer
Honda Crosstourer

Or perhaps a new version of the GSA WC that BMW sort out properly with regards to suspension,switchgear, finish etc and THEN release to the public.

Wonder when the next version of the GS will be released. Will be five years old next year.

It depends on what other issue you are happy to put up with.

Africa Twin - not without its own issues
Triumph and KTM, general poor build quality
Cross tourer, V-strom & Tenere not for me

Multistrada is a great bike, but not as comfortable as the GS, I wanted a KTM SA but on the test ride it was obviously not in the same league.

My 2016 GSA, now has over 10,000 miles and so far so good.

Is be interested in knowing what % of GS's sold have had corrosion issues.

Love my gsa but if i could take the gearbox and engine and swap it for the one in my Z then it would be perfect

I've been on single bike forums for the last 4 bikes I've had and every single one of the was the same as here. the original tyres are crap, the finish is crap, the dealers are crap, the warranty response from (insert manufacturer here) is crap, the reliability is crap. I could go on.

Theres been nothing wrong with any of these 4 bikes I've had. Buy what puts a smile on your face.

Does the wheelie control on the multi have the setting where you can tell the bike how high of a wheelie you want to ride? Or is that only on the 1199?

Back
Top Bottom