I want to rip out my airbox.

Tomm

Reaction score
The bike - 2000my single spark r1150gs.
The plan - Remove airbox completely and have individual pod filters direct on each intake.

Heard a couple of bits of conflicting information regards sensors in particular. (not asking whether I should or not do this or what it will do to mid range/top end bla bla bla).

Basically (i think) the question's are ..,

What is the sensor(s?) and associated function? (i've heard it's a MAF also been told it's simply a temp sensor)

Is it part of the open/closed loop?

If I stick it in one of the air intakes will it be doing the same job as before (if it's simply a temp sensor) or will it only be producing half the original data (if it's a MAF)?

Really appreciated any and all replies .. and absolutely expect the torrent of abuse from the purists. Ah well, can't please everyone :rob

Thanks,
Tom

PS. Afterwards i'm also removing the fusebox and relays so will have a completely 'clean' look under the entire seat .. but more on that in another post.

Hi Tomm, you only have to relocate the air temp sensor.. in other location ex. behind the seat - not near the hot of the motor, or next to the intake of filters - taking fresh air - ambient.
note: If these filters are like conus with metallic mesh type K&N (be aware whith water and driving in rain).
Best regards from Barcelona.

Ok .. another vote for 'simple' air temp sensor, thanks 'Victormes' . Can I ask if you have experience of this mod? Definitely no ''limp home'' then? I have gone for the foam (pipercross) type filters as these are slightly more resilient than the K&N type.

Dave,
because I want to create a 'clean' look..
because I want to let as much air flow in, through and out as I can get fuel to match..
Because I can..

Take your pick, questions remain the same ;)

hi Tomm, my machine is a model without CAT. only CO pot... more simple, with this setup i ran about 2 years with no problem (no popping, no surging... nothing, running better).

in my setup, i relocated the sensor behind the seat. taking fresh air. a friend of mine, behind the filter, perforating the rear body of the filter..no difference! And too ugly! :rolleyes:

I nottice only an louder (different) sound on admission, running fine two years!! Actually i returned to the original airbox ( i use the bike all the year), and here in Spain we must pass trough the technical inspection.
cheers!!

Thanks again .. I know that I have the ''7 series'' ECU on my bike, but it is decatted with Y piece and remus. With the free flowing filters I'm sure to need a little more juice (plans in place for that) to keep the ratio's correct I know.
Well it's certainly looking like a air temp sensor rather than a MAF so that is going to make it a much simpler/neater job :)

If you don't know the difference between an air temperature sensor and a Maf sensor I wish you luck "improving" your awesome steed. :D

If you don't know the difference between an air temperature sensor and a Maf sensor I wish you luck "improving" your awesome steed. :D

Thanks .. I do know the difference, which is why I would like to know which it is before ripping it out as I'm trying to do work in stints and keep her on the road. If it's just the air temp i'll crack on, if it's a MAF I know (if I decide to keep the closed loop function the same) I have to work on a plan b.

Thing is it would have taken you just as long to give me a helpful reply .. as I'm well aware that you are one of the 'fonts of all knowledge' on here. I'm also aware that you (among others) are a grumpy p*ss taking tw*t so i'm also not in the least surprised ;)

If I can get a few straight answers, great. If not then I guess an old school haynes will come in handy.

Thanks .. I do know the difference,

Thing is it would have taken you just as long to give me a helpful reply .. as I'm well aware that you are one of the 'fonts of all knowledge' on here. I'm also aware that you (among others) are a grumpy p*ss taking tw*t so i'm also not in the least surprised ;)

I've a hard earned reputation to keep up.. A useful answer - leave it as it is, you'll lose more than you'll gain. But you've already said you'll take no notice of such advice. And You can tell the difference between the 1150 temp sensor and a Maf simply by looking. But carry on, variety is the spice of life :D

I've a hard earned reputation to keep up.. A useful answer - leave it as it is, you'll lose more than you'll gain. But you've already said you'll take no notice of such advice. And You can tell the difference between the 1150 temp sensor and a Maf simply by looking. But carry on, variety is the spice of life :D

Indeed it is and indeed you do :)

I'm not doing this primarily for performance .. although I can't deny that if I could get her breathing a bit easier and spinning up a bit faster then I will certainly be exploring those options. Neither am I on some kind of drastic weight reduction project, having said that if the bike shifts a few kilo's along the way i'm OK with that too.

My aim here is to create a clean, open, uncluttered looking bike. At some point i'll post pics of what i've done and where i'm going with it.(which no doubt all but me will hate) With the airbox gone i'm replacing the fusebox and relays for a motogadget unit, which will also allow me to play with a lot of other neat little functions.

Also think that you're mistaking an earlier comment of mine '' it's certainly looking like a air temp sensor rather than a MAF '' which was directed at comments received up until now. I haven't had the airbox out yet so I've not looked. I've had conflicting advice on what i'm going to find when I do so was hoping for one of you experts to let me know what's actually in there so that I can be prepared (mentally if nothing else).

I have next weekend free so if I haven't got the answer by then, that's when I'm going to find out one way or another I guess!!

There are plenty of people aiming for some Steve McQueen style simplicity for their bikes at the mo sometimes even with accompanying Moto Legends attire...:cool: From my experience, unless you are lucky or very talented with tuning, foam air filters and no air box make a bit of a shit of perfectly good bikes... The Oilhead it a compromise, its easy to leave alone with no probs and easy to make a backside of running and reliability wise..... The airbox is part of that... They are mildly tuneable but not very much...

Urban caffs are probably full of customs like the above but long distance tours are not... There is your main decision I think...:thumb

I
Also think that you're mistaking an earlier comment of mine '' it's certainly looking like a air temp sensor rather than a MAF '' which was directed at comments received up until now. I haven't had the airbox out yet so I've not looked.

Ahh, all becomes clear now. i thought you had the sensor out. My apologies

Only two screws to undo and lift up the airbox lid to have a look inside.

Ahh brilliant, thx Steptoe ..saved me the cost of a Haynes manual :thumb

Wrigsby, finally someone that understands me :D

Ok .. so was simply an ambient temp probe (IAT)!

Pods on and was out riding yesterday, left airbox in for now just in case it runs like a bag o sh*te as everyone expects it too.

Fuelling is getting taken care of with a hilltop tune. My other option was a 'johns chip' and have to say that both have been hugely helpful during my discussions with them. Off the back of these discussions alone i'd happily recommend either.

First impressions running without the airbox restriction .. induction noise is amazing. Really lovely base tone, i'm leaving the remus baffle in for now as don't want noise to be ''offensive''. No popping/banging, but I want to put a few more miles on her yet. Couple of plug chops to confirm all is running ok (sorry i'm old school like that).

As taking the airbox out requires me to lift the frame i'm leaving it in place while I just make sure that i'm not going to have to do a rethink but right now more than happy.

Back
Top Bottom