Throttle grip slow to return.

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just been looking at fitting an over bar cruise lever to my GS.

Trouble is even if the cruise lever isnt fitted, by grip is slow / stuck on returning

If i remove the bar end, its fine, snaps shut as soon as i let go.

but as soon as i nip it up is sticks.

If i have it loose, the hand giard flaps around.

Looking at real OEM, there appeared to be some form of mylar washer inbetween the end of the grip, and the weight

however there is no part or part number in the parts list.

Any ideas ?

mart

Its a common issue Mart, most people notice it when using heated grips as the expansion when hot causes the throttle to stick. The washer fix is the cheapest option.

Had a go this evening with a washer/s

Made no difference whatsoever, the grip just nips as soon as the weight pulls in .

Ive left it looseish for the moment,

Not sure if i was putting the washer in the right place??

At the moment, the whole of the grip and weight turns when i open the throttle

it means the hand guard is a bit loose ... which isnt good

Mart

You need to make sure the washer touches no part of the grip otherwise it will be no better. Get one thats slightly smaller in diameter than the inside dia of the rubber and the tube its mounted on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moving the switch block and throttle control along the handlebar a mm or so will stop the end weight jamming the rubber grip. The front ("back" from rider's viewpoint) of the switch block has a removable cover. Under that you will find the clamp screw.

Well, i fixed this last night, with a Stanley blade.

A washer would have made no difference, as would moving the grip.

What had happened was that the outward rubber / face was slightly over the plastic inner grip

Then when it was clamped against the bar weight / washer it would lock the grip open .

i trimmed this over thickness / protrusion and tried the bar weight, which now sits against the inner grip plastic - the outer grip returns as

it should. nice and quick/snappy

Back
Top Bottom