Trikes - good idea?

Her bike was just a bit to tall for her as the years advance so that's why she converted her G650GS instead of a bigger bike...... It pulls well up to 85mph and still does around 55mpg

Did I say how good it was on snow? If one rear wheel spins just dab the break and it's back to two wheel drive and very easy to ride....... Stable and turns on a sixpence!

Just fitted the Trike with longer Sertao forks and a Heidenau K60 front tyre!:thumb

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 467
As for what anyone says about trikes being a disadvantage it's utter bollocks

Just wait until you can't manage your 'proper' bike due to age, illness or disability and then see what you think then!:rob

Her bike was just a bit to tall for her as the years advance so that's why she converted her G650GS instead of a bigger bike...... It pulls well up to 85mph and still does around 55mpg

Did I say how good it was on snow? If one rear wheel spins just dab the break and it's back to two wheel drive and very easy to ride....... Stable and turns on a sixpence!

Just fitted the Trike with longer Sertao forks and a Heidenau K60 front tyre!:thumb

That is the bollocks awesome.

The cradle and diff is from Casarva Trikes and it's the heavy duty cradle with BMW 5 series running gear(diff converted to chain drive)

Touratech panniers were raised for clearance off-road and the ABS has been disconnected and speedo pick up comes off the front wheel

Rear brakes are awesome and the wheels were a special order from Italy to match the front alloy

I really spent a lot of time thinking about this build and speaking to Casarva who are the experts....... They'd only ever done one other GS

This one works really well especially for a small bike...... We didn't need the reverse transfer box which saved a few pounds as the Trike is light enough to push and rolls easily....... You also learn to reverse roll park

It took about ten minutes to learn how to ride....... With no dramas but you do need to pull the bars on a tight roundabout

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 434
The cradle and diff is from Casarva Trikes and it's the heavy duty cradle with BMW 5 series running gear(diff converted to chain drive)

Touratech panniers were raised for clearance off-road and the ABS has been disconnected and speedo pick up comes off the front wheel

Rear brakes are awesome and the wheels were a special order from Italy to match the front alloy

I really spent a lot of time thinking about this build and speaking to Casarva who are the experts....... They'd only ever done one other GS

This one works really well especially for a small bike...... We didn't need the reverse transfer box which saved a few pounds as the Trike is light enough to push and rolls easily....... You also learn to reverse roll park

It took about ten minutes to learn how to ride....... With no dramas but you do need to pull the bars on a tight roundabout

Would it be rude to ask how much this outfit would cost, just thinking later on :beerjug:

Have you considered one that's got 2 wheels up front and a wide rear tyre with seats side by side in a tubular frame a bit like the ariel atom? If you want something that has similar performance to a bike then that might be worth considering as according to someone I know who's got 1 it's brilliant to drive/ride and is far more stable, handles and brakes better than the traditional trikes he's had previously.

Would it be rude to ask how much this outfit would cost, just thinking later on :beerjug:

It doesn't come cheap........ Cost the same as if we'd changed the G650GS for an F800GS adventure

You can swap donor bike and convert the cradle mounting arms to fit another BMW model or even convert to a shaft drive bike in the future so it'll have a long life/mileage

I think this is the way forward for those wanting three wheels. Virtually all the advantages of a bike plus more secure front end and you still get to lean through the corners. I just can’t see a traditional trike giving me any of the thrills that a bike gives me....you might as well have a nice wee MX5 instead. :toungincheek

Attachments

• 29F88FA2-2BB1-4072-AB85-4EDBD531E752.jpg
    29F88FA2-2BB1-4072-AB85-4EDBD531E752.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 429
The Yamaha will work but could they not find a neater solution?
Does a light machine like this really need 4 x suspension units?
It would be a tidier and more balanced if the gubbings were contained between the front wheels.
BTW: I love the Mrs P BMW trike.

I have had several over the years the majority of which hailed from Belfast. All where home made and if done properly there should be nothing to worry about. I'm not keen on bike based trikes but I do like the Beach Bastard style (as coined by Chris Ireland back in the day) which from behind looks just like a car complete with the roof. I also built one from a kit (Phoenix Trikes) which you could buy complete or as much as you needed if you already had a donor vehicle (VW Beetle) they disappeared by the end of the 80s but still a lot of them on the road. I do agree that unless you are no longer fit for a bike and its a necessity, they make no sense at all, that said it took me many years and four different trikes to learn that. They are slower than a bike, you get wet in the rain and stuck in traffic, so there are no advantages. Add that to the fact the Plod have no clue what the rules and regs are along with MOT stations who also have no clue how to test them and you spend a lot of time arguing with people; why no seat belt, why no helmet....blah blah. The rules are complex around all this, it depends on the weight over which class it is, do you sit in or astride it etc and you need to know it inside out because the copper or MOT man will have no clue and you get an undeserved ticket or MOT failure. I ended up having to carry a lot of paperwork in my pocket to prove my point.

Back
Top Bottom