Names of "Via Points"

P1lts

Reaction score
When I plan a trip in Basecamp, I tend to rename the "via points" to ones that will mean something to me rather the default name that Basecamp allocates.

This is all weel and good, BUT, when I upload the trip to my Nav V, the "via point" name changes back to the default name.

Any ideas how I can stop the name being changed form the name that I allocate?

Thanks

I hadn't noticed this phenomenon, so I thought I would give it a go.

Here's link to a route from Cap Gris Nez to Loos in Belgium.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4d994gzs20ok26/Renmaing.GPX?dl=0

I just made it up to see what happened. I started by asking BaseCamp to tale me from A to B (Cap Gris Nez to Loos). I then dragged the magenta line onto alternative roads. This left me with a bunch of points, which BaseCamp on a Mac creates as 'announced waypoints' by default.

I brought up the route's list of announced waypoints and renamed them all. Every other one I then changed from a waypoint into a simple 'unannounced shaping point', just to see what difference it made if any.

I then sent the route and the points to my Nav VI.

The Nav VI (for reasons I cannot understand) accepted and displayed some of the amended names but left others with their original BaseCamp name. Very odd.

out of interest wapping, were the names of equal length, funny characters (or not), or any pattern on those points that kept the name or didn't?

I cannot work out any pattern to this phenomena. Some names remain as amended, others change back to their original names. Very strange and VERY frustrating!

The Nav VI (for reasons I cannot understand) accepted and displayed some of the amended names but left others with their original BaseCamp name. Very odd.

I think they are changed by BC on the fly.
BC and MS are database driven and until Jan 17, BC only had ONE database. As such, all names must be unique. Now you can have many seperate DB's: See here

eg. New route - New DB

I am not sure its to do with the names being unique. I allocated some pretty unique names and yet BC still changed them back to the original designations.

I hadn't noticed this phenomenon, so I thought I would give it a go.

Here's link to a route from Cap Gris Nez to Loos in Belgium.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4d994gzs20ok26/Renmaing.GPX?dl=0

I just made it up to see what happened. I started by asking BaseCamp to tale me from A to B (Cap Gris Nez to Loos). I then dragged the magenta line onto alternative roads. This left me with a bunch of points, which BaseCamp on a Mac creates as 'announced waypoints' by default.

I brought up the routes list of announced waypoints and renamed them all. Every other one I then changed from a waypoint into a simple 'unannounced shaping point', just to see what difference it made if any.

I then sent the route and the points to my Nav VI.

OK that is interesting. I do this on a PC and I cant get the re-named shaping points to keep their names on transfer. The fact that you can get 'some' to change means it can be done. Now to find out how!

I'm glad you've accepted the challenge as this driving me crazy!!!!

out of interest wapping, were the names of equal length, funny characters (or not), or any pattern on those points that kept the name or didn't?

The Cap Gris Nez name, I did not change

The first one in I called something like, Point A

The next B

Point C

I got bored by point F

OK that is interesting. I do this on a PC and I cant get the re-named shaping points to keep their names on transfer. The fact that you can get 'some' to change means it can be done. Now to find out how!

I have no idea why some of the points changed their name on transfer into the Nav VI and some reverted back to their original name.

I'll have to do some more playing about, I guess.

I just sent that route to my Montana and the names on the device match those in BC - 9 of them.

Attachments

• vpname.JPG
    vpname.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 141
I just sent that route to my Montana and the names on the device match those in BC - 9 of them.

They are all correct.

The points in bold are all announced waypoints. The light grey are unannounced shaping points. Odd that the renamed points carry on through to the Montana but not to other devices.

Odd that the renamed points carry on through to the Montana but not to other devices.

I did use another database name (CapGris) and then sent the route to the device.
Maybe the DB name is appended to the waypoint name in the userdata.adm file.

The only programme that you can use to view/edit that file is "GPS Utility" but I don't feel like shelling out £40/$60 for it.
Garmin Trip & Waypoint Manager used to be able to do it, I'm told, but don't have that either and its now defunct. I think I have a copy, but where.....

Using a pc not a mac when i name waypoints/via points to suit my own wants i have never had a problem with them altering back to the original name.

And i have been using multiple databases for a good while now at least a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom