Adventure Centre Stand Removal

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Ive had a hunt around both here and google to see if i can gain any info on how to remove the centre stand on my 2012 GSA 1200 as its corroded to buggery and i want to take it off and give it a clean and spray.

Also for some reason the bar ends have gone same way and so want to get them to together and give them a freshen up.

Any pointers much appreciated as normal.

Thanks
Mark

Bend the spring back and forth and pop coins into the gaps to elongate it to aid easy removal. Heavy duty pliers come in handy when reversing the process.

Quite a simple operation. The springs should be easy to remove by undoing the bolt that releases the tensioner. The bolts either side that hold that attach the stand to the frame go into a free moving housing meaning that if you just undo the star bolt on the outside you will just turn the bolt and housing. You will need to hold the inner side which is a bit of a faff as a conventional spanner will not work as it has only 2 flat sides. Large adjustable spanner should do it.

It will be stiff to undo due to thread lock. Ounce the bolt is out you will need to push the housing out of the socket....the housing is greased and has two rubber washers on it so requires a firmish shove. Repeat for the other side...jobs a good 'un.

Center stand is handy enough as lads explained before... if you're going for the kickstand, though.. that's a different animal. I ended up painting it with it on the bike as I was unable to take it out without having to start breaking stuff, poorly designed.

Thought of using Hammerite smooth with a soft brush? Gives a great finish and save all this hassle.

Or just wait for the day when you find a sheared bolt on your driveway which just happens to have fallen from the centre stand..

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/454841-Whats-this-bolt?highlight=whats+this+bolt
FullSizeRender_zpsk6efpkp4.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps1c4p9yq3.jpg

Thought of using Hammerite smooth with a soft brush? Gives a great finish and save all this hassle.

Did that last year and for some reason its just not lasted looks as bad this year. Weird thing is that everything else is mint simply centre stand and the bar ends...

I have a GS, just removed my centre stand to get it powder coated and removed the 2 rubber stops in the process, what I didn't realise until it was too late is that they are different, 1 is about 1/2" the other is about 3/4". Anyone know which side they fit to?
Expect fun and games when it's time to refit the stand, apologies for any expletives heard in the N Yorks area.

I had mine powder coated it still looks rough though not as bad as a slap over Hammerite job.

Ideally get it grit blasted and zinc metal sprayed or even hot dipped. You will need to clean out the pivot tubes and spring threads but it should be a once and for all job. When done put some split rubber tubes over the areas that get hammered with stones.

Alternatively take the centre stand off the bike and keep it for servicing jobs. It's not really needed in normal use.

I sand blasted it today, came out ok, took it for powder coating (satin black) should be ready Thursday night, still non the wiser on which side the rubbers go, hopefully obvious when I come to refit them.

Stand now powder coated (twice! They missed a bit first time) and refitted, used oldnfat's suggested method, no problem and no assistance needed. 👍🏻

Cover the areas that get hit with stones with split rubber hose. To avoid the coating getting rubbed & flatted, cover with a waterproof tape under the split hose.

Back
Top Bottom