Where have my wavey washers gone...??

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here's a headscratcher for you... I recently found the RH disc on my 11GS had lost its wavey washers under the bobbins... The disc was loose and TBH they are both bit worn on the bobbins but the RH was the worst... I thought it must have been fitted like this by someone or with poor parts... It's a non ABS and 11GS's were the Brembo caliper models...

Last Sunday I replaced the bobbins on the RH disc as they were far worse and also the wavey washers... All BMW stock... Today I am disassembling the front end as the fork seals need sorting and WTF... The washers have gone... not there... disappeared...:blast How the xxxx has that happened...? Brand new bits, all in place and it all felt good and new last Sunday and now its back to rattly shite...!
I have had 4x 11GS's and K11's and have never had a part vanish like this...:confused:

How many miles have you ridden since fitting the new washers ?

My bike has the same issue, 100-150 miles and new washers gone on the left side disc only.

Just had the calipers fully rebuilt as they were dragging and am hopeful this will resolve the issue. New set of wave washers fitted and will get some miles on it this week. Hopefully that will sort it. I too have never had this issue on any of the previous bikes.

Assuming they were fitted in the first place , then it sounds like they've split and fallen out?

Or someone has nicked them, I mean, they're really expensive

Yes all gone, left side only. Number of occasions.

bike always had some front brake issues (mild pulsing under braking) so slowly working through them.

Started off with fluid change and new pads upon purchase. Didn't resolve, so new discs fitted, which resolved the pulsing i.e. Warped discs, but waves washers still going walkies on one side. Brakes dragging even after thorough clean up. Calipers now rebuilt with new piston and seals ( pistons had plenty of corrosion upon removal), new pistons etc fitted and wheel rotates freely.

If it is resolved, I'm assuming the brakes dragged on one side and meant the wave washers were constantly compressed and failed as fairly brittle.

My have done it a few times now, got fed up with replacing the washers so I made a stainless spacer and converted the discs to a solid fix, no problems since

Yes all gone, left side only. Number of occasions.

bike always had some front brake issues (mild pulsing under braking) so slowly working through them.

Started off with fluid change and new pads upon purchase. Didn't resolve, so new discs fitted, which resolved the pulsing i.e. Warped discs, but waves washers still going walkies on one side. Brakes dragging even after thorough clean up. Calipers now rebuilt with new piston and seals ( pistons had plenty of corrosion upon removal), new pistons etc fitted and wheel rotates freely.

If it is resolved, I'm assuming the brakes dragged on one side and meant the wave washers were constantly compressed and failed as fairly brittle.

The brakes are free, its a non ABSer and the discs seem fine... Its has braided hoses and is one or two finger braking most of the time...

I'll check the action of the caliper though as it may be pushing the disc to one side...:confused:

The brakes are free, its a non ABSer and the discs seem fine... Its has braided hoses and is one or two finger braking most of the time...

I'll check the action of the caliper though as it may be pushing the disc to one side...:confused:

I seem to have sorted it... While sorting fork seals I found caliper had one slow piston so it seems the disc was not getting squeezed evenly... Just returning from 1k round trip and bobbins are still there...��

Good to hear, not ridden mine yet as off the road for a month.
But by the sounds of it, me having calipers rebuilt may Ingres crossed be the end of the issue.

Back
Top Bottom