Roadtec 01 shimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredaroony

Reaction score
I've been running PR4's for the last 17,000klms and while the rear squares off pretty quick they have been good. I just fitted Roadtec 01's and I start getting a shimmy/vibration feeling from the front above 80kph and really obvious at 110kph. Not dangerous but it is a bit annoying.

The wheel has been balanced twice now and it's still the same. I can see a 1-2mm gradual runout in the rim so taking it into the shop tomorrow to get checked properly.

Just funny that it was super smooth with the PR4 and now I get this with the Roadtec. Could be the tyre is defective but on the second rebalance the shop said it was fine.

Anyone else running Roadtec's and notice this?

Mine is a '16 GS with spoked wheels.

Not getting that and as you did went from PR4's to them and after one 5000m they are holding up really well, in fact I love em!

No square off and hold the road well in all weathers and same wheels on a GSA.

Different bike but i love them on my XR very stable at speeds the GS could only dream of

I forgot to add that if this shimmy seems to be at the front get the rear balance checked !

I've been running PR4's for the last 17,000klms and while the rear squares off pretty quick they have been good. I just fitted Roadtec 01's and I start getting a shimmy/vibration feeling from the front above 80kph and really obvious at 110kph. Not dangerous but it is a bit annoying.

The wheel has been balanced twice now and it's still the same. I can see a 1-2mm gradual runout in the rim so taking it into the shop tomorrow to get checked properly.

Just funny that it was super smooth with the PR4 and now I get this with the Roadtec. Could be the tyre is defective but on the second rebalance the shop said it was fine.

Anyone else running Roadtec's and notice this?

Mine is a '16 GS with spoked wheels.

Sounds like a mis-shaped tyre

Not getting that and as you did went from PR4's to them and after one 5000m they are holding up really well, in fact I love em!

No square off and hold the road well in all weathers and same wheels on a GSA.

I figured it was a long shot asking and guessing its just this one tyre.

I've just tried the Roadtec 01's on my 2016 GS. Loved them in the wet, fantastic wet grip only matched by the BT-023, but had a few 'squirrel' moments at high speed in the dry?

I've done under 4,500 miles and the rear is done. Totally had it.

Shame, I love Metzeler but won't put the Roadtecs back on the GS, unless there is a GT version to try.

Love the Tourance Next and M7-RR's though.

79294f7e5de948adccb29336e1e7cc98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just tried the Roadtec 01's on my 2016 GS. Loved them in the wet, fantastic wet grip only matched by the BT-023, but had a few 'squirrel' moments at high speed in the dry?

Shame, I love Metzeler but won't put the Roadtecs back on the GS, unless there is a GT version to try.

Shit I thought the PR4 was bad for mileage and mine was really squared off at 7000klms. Still had tread left on it but it was affecting the handling.

Handling in the corners is really good though and it's just on the highway I notice the shimmy.

well i have just put roadtechs on my gs and to be honest not sure about them,tbh i felt more confident in the anakees and pr4s than these esp in the wet,turn in in the wet yesterday produced some squirrely moments?

This is odd. I get 'exactly' the same experience as the OP on my GSA but with Avon Trailriders. Two different tyres front and rear but still the same. Other brands are fine. I live with it for the sake of the wet grip performance which is the best I have come across on the GSA.

79294f7e5de948adccb29336e1e7cc98.jpg

Teapot, don't mind me asking, but do you ride 2-up/with luggage and what is your weight? Also, what is your riding style? I've been enjoying the Pirelli Scorpion Trail2 which have been brilliant and we're considering the Roadtecs. But after your report/photo I'm not so sure.

well i have just put roadtechs on my gs and to be honest not sure about them,tbh i felt more confident in the anakees and pr4s than these esp in the wet,turn in in the wet yesterday produced some squirrely moments?

Really? I'm surprised at that as I felt they were rock solid in the wet, I could almost ride as hard as in the dry!

It was their dry performance and durability that let them down for me.

I agree that the stock Anakee's were better overall though.

Probably going to try Tourance Next on them next.

Teapot, don't mind me asking, but do you ride 2-up/with luggage and what is your weight? Also, what is your riding style? I've been enjoying the Pirelli Scorpion Trail2 which have been brilliant and we're considering the Roadtecs. But after your report/photo I'm not so sure.

No I don't ride 2-up, but I tour a lot as well as everyday commuting and ride fairly aggressively.

I'm about 19 and a half stone so probably equivalent of 2 up, however I've used lots of different tyres over the years so can compare them to previous experience.

Fantastic wet grip, but lacking in all other areas for me.

Just got back from France yesterday, from new I had anakee 3 swapped for Conti trail attack 2. Two up and around 55kg of luggage, I've done 1930 miles (bike total 4200ish miles). Now this is what the rear looks like now.
dadeea9e0b41d6068fb4d5f9fa008121.jpg
2a3ad958d4512ca159293874d1a63bf3.jpg

I think I'll be going back to Metz Tourance Next, as those tyres (especially rear) lasted over 10000 miles.

No I don't ride 2-up, but I tour a lot as well as everyday commuting and ride fairly aggressively.

I'm about 19 and a half stone so probably equivalent of 2 up, however I've used lots of different tyres over the years so can compare them to previous experience.

Fantastic wet grip, but lacking in all other areas for me.

Thanks! I haven't had any issues at all with the Pirellis and never found them lacking so may stick with them, especially if the Roadtecs are only the 'next PR4' (which are utter garbage imho and never rated at all).

Just got back from France yesterday, from new I had anakee 3 swapped for Conti trail attack 2. Two up and around 55kg of luggage, I've done 1930 miles (bike total 4200ish miles). Now this is what the rear looks like now.
dadeea9e0b41d6068fb4d5f9fa008121.jpg
2a3ad958d4512ca159293874d1a63bf3.jpg

I think I'll be going back to Metz Tourance Next, as those tyres (especially rear) lasted over 10000 miles.

Look at those chicken strips! :D:JB

Love the new Metz Roadtec 01 HWMs on my FJR. The profile makes the bike feel far more sporty than the OE Battlax. Might make a GS feel a little nervous though.

If the slight shimmy the OP reports isn't balance, then I have to wonder whether the tyre has been mounted correctly - is the bead seated evenly? are the TP sensors still working & located correctly or has one cut loose during fitting?

it is probably worth getting the tyre shop to double check - remove the front & start over. Make sure they pump the tyre up to the max pressure permitted by Metzler, just to make sure the beads pop out fully. I suffered this issue with my old K8 Hayabusa, pretty worrying TBH on something that ballistic - Metz Z8s, very tight fit on the rims, needed about 75 psi to get them to pop. Great once sorted, but the tyre guy took some persuading that it was his work & not something mechanical like forks, steering head or wheel bearings.

Hope this helps. Good luck finding the culprit .......................... KEN

Love the new Metz Roadtec 01 HWMs on my FJR. The profile makes the bike feel far more sporty than the OE Battlax. Might make a GS feel a little nervous though.

If the slight shimmy the OP reports isn't balance, then I have to wonder whether the tyre has been mounted correctly - is the bead seated evenly? are the TP sensors still working & located correctly or has one cut loose during fitting?

it is probably worth getting the tyre shop to double check - remove the front & start over. Make sure they pump the tyre up to the max pressure permitted by Metzler, just to make sure the beads pop out fully. I suffered this issue with my old K8 Hayabusa, pretty worrying TBH on something that ballistic - Metz Z8s, very tight fit on the rims, needed about 75 psi to get them to pop. Great once sorted, but the tyre guy took some persuading that it was his work & not something mechanical like forks, steering head or wheel bearings.

Hope this helps. Good luck finding the culprit .......................... KEN

Taking it to my local BWW dealer today and hopefully it's not much. Bead looked ok but I probably should have insisted they remount the tyre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom