Buell XB12X Ulysses

Rupsol

Reaction score
Inexperience Buell admirer so be gentle - looking at the Ulysses and seem a lot of bike for the money. Before I commit are there any known issues - how do they ride (have had many multi cylinder big trailies over the years) and if I don't like it are they easy to sell or will it be as usual that I pay full retail and cant get my money back! Thanks for the input

Strange one this.... Engine is from a Sportster, so no worries there really... But.....

Buell have a solid following and I fear the Ulysses does not meet their criteria..... Also it does not register on the Harley Brain either..... So this is a limited Market.... They used to be cheap enough to buy just for the engine and V5 ( project base bike) ..... How much is it ?? And we can advise...

A V Strom 1000 is cheaper and better......

Ooh and they shit exhaust baffles every 2000 miles .... ( well, my M2 did)

The one I have seen is 3k - only considering it as it is a bit different and never owned a Buell/HD before - wanted to find out what the V Twin fuss was about. Just don't want a load of issues and be stuck with it if I don't like it. I am 6ft 9" so need a tall bike with plenty of room. Cant ride much comfortably especially not the sports orientated Buells.

£3k is ok - the Engine alone is worth £1.5k - can you test ride it? - see if you like it?

No major issues to worry about. Just your comfort.

I'm 6'8" and my KTM 1050 is very comfy... but I have the ERGO seat that gives you another inch...

But.. my Glide is lowered with a 26" seat height....

£3k is ok - the Engine alone is worth £1.5k - can you test ride it? - see if you like it?

No major issues to worry about. Just your comfort.

I'm 6'8" and my KTM 1050 is very comfy... but I have the ERGO seat that gives you another inch...

But.. my Glide is lowered with a 26" seat height....

Have you ever tried the Tallboy seat on your Glide. Or do you have one already?

I've got one on my RK. High on comfort, not good on looks. Bliss imho.

Have you ever tried the Tallboy seat on your Glide. Or do you have one already?

I've got one on my RK. High on comfort, not good on looks. Bliss imho.

I don't like mattresses strapped to my bike..... ... I run a lowered glide, with a recut and covered Road King seat.. (by recut I mean the foam was halved in depth) .. Rode it to Spain and back fine week before last... In fact more comfy then my stock GSA12 seat... One major change is the bike has custom made forward controls....

Might get round to having my stock seat done by Tony Archer one day, but I love the all day comfort of the TB.
Mattress.:D:beerjug:

I don't like mattresses strapped to my bike..... ... I run a lowered glide, with a recut and covered Road King seat.. (by recut I mean the foam was halved in depth) .. Rode it to Spain and back fine week before last... In fact more comfy then my stock GSA12 seat... One major change is the bike has custom made forward controls....

It sounds like a well modded quality harley.

However, when you use the front brake, the forks dive a little bit.
That little fucking fork dive, added to the lowered springs brings the front mudguard ( front fender for the fucking spacks amongst us ) directly inbetween the fucking forward controls, rendering the fucking steering obsolete .

I fucking shit you not, it is a fucking death trap.

Jeremy.

That little fucking fork dive, added to the lowered springs brings the front mudguard ( front fender for the fucking spacks amongst us ) directly inbetween the fucking forward controls, rendering the fucking steering obsolete .

Jeremy.

Only if you are using the rear brake, if the lever is "untouched" then no components make contact..... it's only a problem if I'm turning and using the rear brake..........at the same time....:augie

I have owned Buells for the last 17 years, but could not tell you anything about them.
And today I spent some time with Erik Buell, he is a lovely man.:beerjug:

And that's why they are actually quite good bikes......

Jeremy.

:eek::eek:

Mmmm, mine is also lowered a tad and I'll stick with the mattress instead of going for forwards .:)

I've had 5 XBs, 3 of them Ulysses, one of which I modded to more of a 'tall lightning'

I loved 'em and despite some scare-mongering on the UKBEG forum, I never had any issues.

Servicing can be expensive, but if you know that going in, then buy and enjoy!

There's plenty of independent parts out there (like custom silencers and such) and if I had some spare cash I'd consider getting another

Great fun to ride, proper 'unique' and sound amazing.

Back
Top Bottom