Autocom whine

kwallace21

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just started using those fancy Pinlock earplugs instead of foam ones. Very comfy but not as good at noise reduction as some. I can now hear more engine noise but
it keeps wind noise at bay well enough. I can however hear a whine through my autocom which increases with revs. it get quite annoying when I switch ony fog lights. Autocom was fitted by an experienced BMW tech and works well but wondering whether this is an earth problem. I have one of those wee black and red boxes plugged in which is meant to help apparently.

Perhaps could you give a bit more detail as to how it was installed? model of bike? incase people of seem model have had similar problems etc

Ive installed mine piggied backed off the aux socket below the seat and now from a fuze block and I've never had an issue with those two methods

Alway make sure the cables from the autocom are run separate from any cables belonging to the bike to help prevent interference

Ive had similar issues with what sounds like background engine noise only when I speak on the intercom. Have fitted a relay and even fitted a new Autocom thinking the old one had an issue, Have the open face mic cover s fitted in a full face helmet. Cup my hand over the mic and it reduces the background noise. Have met up with an Autocom expert who runs an RT. He manufactures headsets with different mics and speakers. His Autocom has exactly the same background noise. Never noticed this on my previous FJR. Can only surmise that the harmonics of the boxer engine can penetrate the mic.

Do you have a sat nav fitted? Try riding without it see if noise goes. My 660 produces a high pitch whine unless the brightness is set to 100%. Only found out cure by using another 660 from my wifes bike. Noise gone.

There could be a problem with the foglights - are they HID or LED?

My Autocom is powered via a Fused Relay Direct Battery Connection Part 2437. I believe this measure is essential, especially on water-cooled bikes.

You could always call Sam at Chainspeed.

Back
Top Bottom