STANDING ON PEGS...

Camel Toe

Reaction score
Now and again on a long hot day i stand up and stretch my legs whilst riding as many other GSers seem to do........anyone know if that is allowed by the plod......legal ?? ..just wondered..

It becomes illegal, when you are no longer in control of your vehicle. Which is a fudge but that's the law for you !

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I wondered about this last time I was out. Fitted some Fastway footpegs which are so comfortable. No real need to stand up on the road other than to stretch legs or cool down but it did get me thinking. Surely if you're still in full contact with footrests (therefore gears/brake) and both grips you are still in full control of the vehicle although plod may interpret it otherwise...

It is illegal when done whilst pulling into a car park where there are other motorcyclists or anywhere else where an impression is trying to be made. (If it isn't illegal it damn well should be).

Edit: A quick search has revealed that 'Being acunt in charge of a motorcycle' is a specific offence. Carries an 8 stretch apparently.....seems fair to me.

My wife could balance her kdx for 4 minutes whilst standing upon pegs, when asked by one of her colleagues why, she said she could be arsed putting her feet down. He claimed she wasn't in control of her vehicle, and if she wasn't a boss he'd have charged her.

She then made him stand on one leg for two minutes until he lost his balance, her observation; the laws an arse, and so are you.

I stand up occasionally on the road only briefly and at low speed to relieve pressure and shake trousers back to comfortable. As has been said its only illegal not to be in proper control and I'd rather not have that discussion with an officer who doesn't understand that I am so I do it when there aren't any around. Having said that there is someone I see occasionally who rides past me on a GSA at well over 80 standing up and appears to just be riding that way as I have never seen them sitting down! Now that would be an argument I definitely would not want to have with a traffic officer if stopped!!

Commonly practiced by GS riders as they arrive in town.........

It gives them that modern 'gunfighter arriving in Dodge' feeling......... :blast

Al

I used to do it on my cx 500 after a long ride , say preston to london and back when I was at pony express....with an accompanying battle cry - summat like 'jeezusfookmearseiskilin...'

I should imagine it'd be quite hard to find out unless you're permanently doing it.. as the security situation is reverts to a status of Taupe or Ecru, you won't be able to find a police officer..

I do it to see better over a very narrow hump back bridge .

Now and again on a long hot day i stand up and stretch my legs whilst riding as many other GSers seem to do........anyone know if that is allowed by the plod......legal ?? ..just wondered..
As you've posted it here, is this question aimed at LC riders? If so is the law different for them?

I watch the silly feckers ride in to Rainbow standing on their pegs .... then nearly fall off :D

All on 1200 LC's :eek:

I stand to look over traffic for over takes

I do it to see better over a very narrow hump back bridge .

i do it occasionally to look further down the road when planning an overtake to see further along the road.

Then you three need further training in how to make progress without looking like a cock .... :p

(Page one, chapter one .... Quiet efficiency is the hallmark of the expert .... )

It can be illegal in some situations, but is an absolute requirement when arriving at a motorcycle encampment.

That field at Dent was at least as treacherous as the Road of Bones, obviously there was no way to traverse it seated.

Back
Top Bottom