Ardennes, Vosges, Black Forest, Stelvio, Italian Lakes

Gab

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Before posting this thread I've tried to find some information but there are so many topics that I thought it was better to ask directly.

I'm planning a trip to Italy and I'd need some advice from the more experienced riders :D

The plan is to leave London either in the late afternoon of 30 Aug or in the (very) early morning of 31 Aug and spend 6/7 nights travelling across France, Switzerland and Italy. Details below.

Option 1
Day 1 (afternoon): London > Lille (Eurotunnel)
Day 2: Lille > Parc Scarpe Escaut > Parc de l'Avesnois > Parc de Ardennes > Parc de Lorraine > Nancy
Day 3: Nancy > Parc de Vosges > Black Forest (Baden Baden?)
Day 4: Black Forest > Zurich (visit a friend)
Day 5: Zurich > Alps Pass (Stelvio? Any other suggestion?) > Lake of Garda or Sirmione
Day 6: Lake (see above) > Passo della Forra > Genoa
I can add an extra night somewhere if needed.

Option 2
See option 1 but leaving London in the early morning of 31 Aug and therefore not stopping at Lille. I can definitely add an extra night somewhere. Any suggestion?
My questions are:
  1. Are all the natural parks listed in the day 2 itinerary worth crossing? Is there any particular route you can recommend?
  2. I know the Black Forest is pretty big. At the moment I am thinking to leave Nancy in the early morning of day 3, go through the Parc de Vosges (which I know a few good twisty roads :thumb) and get to the Black Forest area in the afternoon, when I can start visiting it and I can continue doing so until the late afternoon of the day 4, when I'll head down to Zurich.
  3. Day 5: do you have any other pass to recommend? I know the Stelvio is probably one of the best (if not the best) Alps pass in terms of riding.

Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance to all the ones that will comment and give some good tips.

Cheers,

Gab

Unless you have a burning desire or are on a promise.........I'd give Lake Garda/Sirmione a miss and what's the attraction of Genoa?

Also, the Stelvio is probably the worst mountain pass in Europe, albeit the most popular

Zurich south and do the three passes loop of the Susten, Grimsel and Furka on the way , also as an option consider the Splugen south from Chur towards Lake Como (underrated), definitely a thumbs up for the Silveretta Road and also the Timmelsjoch north to south and then onto the Jaufen

I was considering the Lake because they are close to Passo della Forra, which if you don't know I suggest you check out. Furthermore, I'll be travelling with my girlfriend and the lake area in that time of the year is a very nice to visit.

Genoa is my hometown, so it's got to be the end of the trip. I'll be visiting family and friends over there.

Never heard about the Timmelsjoch. Is t really that good? I can see it is right next to the Stelvio pass. Is it really the Stelvio that bad?

Do you know any other Alps pass that might be a good alternative? What about the San Gottardo or the San Bernardino?

Zurich south and do the three passes loop of the Susten, Grimsel and Furka on the way , also as an option consider the Splugen south from Chur towards Lake Como (underrated), definitely a thumbs up for the Silveretta Road and also the Timmelsjoch north to south and then onto the Jaufen

That's a hell of a good tip! Thanks Neil. I'll check them out :thumb2

Views from Stelvio are great and if it is a logical route from where you are to where your going then fine. An excursion on a time limited trip to take it in is not sensible.....

Unless you want to tick it off a list or be able to tell everyone else how crap it is with an air of authority.

Splugen is awesome if you get it in good weather, would probably avoid it in awful weather.

Unless you have a burning desire or are on a promise.........I'd give Lake Garda/Sirmione a miss and what's the attraction of Genoa?
My thoughts exactly. Bypass Genoa (the Southampton of the Med) and head for Ste Marguarita Ligure, Camogli or Rapallo.

Garda on the other hand (IMO) is delightful, but very busy in the summer.

Also the Stelvio is overrated, it wouldn't be on my list of must-do passes.

From Zurich all the passes mentioned in post # 8 are on the way to the lakes, which is very good as I don't have to divert from the main itinerary. Stelvio and Timmelsjoch are not on the way and if I do one (Timmelsjoch?) I might want to do the Stelvio as it is on the way back to the main route. If you guys tell me that both can be avoided then I'd probably do so and focus on all the others.

Regarding the weather I hope that beginning of September is going to be good. If not I'll have to amend the itinerary a bit.

Are you really comparing Genoa to Southampton? Please!
As previously mentioned, it's my hometown and that's why it is the end of the journey. I know Santa Margherita Ligure, Camogli and Rapallo very well. I go there every time I'm back home. I'm going to give some good tips for the next time you go there. Visit the following places:
- San Rocco > do the path that goes to Portofino passing by San Fruttuoso abbey. Simply stunning!
- Cinque Terre: Corniglia, Manarola, Monterosso al Mare, Riomaggiore, Vernazza
- Portovenere
- Faiallo Pass
- Turchino Pass
- Road from Rossiglione to Tiglieto, which locals call 'motoland'. Very twisty road, perfect tarmac

If I think of anything else I'll let you guys know.

Zurich south and do the three passes loop of the Susten, Grimsel and Furka on the way , also as an option consider the Splugen south from Chur towards Lake Como (underrated)

+1 for wot he said, taking all of these on my way to Lake Come for 4 days in August. Doing stelvio as a day out from LC. Enjoy the trip....

Back
Top Bottom