Spanish motorway tolls?

MattW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just checking that it's still possible to pay cash at the toll booths for Spanish motorways?

I've sorted out a pre-paid toll card (which isn't actually a card - just a registration of the bikes number plate) for Porugal but time and distances mean we'll probably have to use a couple of motorways in Spain on the way back to Santander. After the less than straightforward process of sorting out the pre-pay thing for Portugal, I'd rather just do tolls the old fashioned way for Spain.

Thanks

I've only got experience of the ones on the southern coast, but at those you can use card or cash. Some are human others are machines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW - by law motorways/autovias in Spain run alongside or close to the original main road. These are kept in good condition and in rural areas especially have little traffic on them

Great - thanks!
As long as there's a 'pay at the booth option by card or cash we'll be fine,
Cheers :thumb2

Manned booths are getting less and less. All toll roads have machines that accept cash or cards.

Means to an end.
Allows us to get to some of the places we want to see in the time we've got.
We'll only use motorways when we've got to but the GSA is a great mile eater when you want it to be. I don't subscribe to the superior "I don't use motorways" mindset - I feel no shame ;)

just planning our first day off the boat at Santander, motorways to get outside the city by far the easiest option then smaller roads for fun, as long as there is no P after the first letter its toll free:aidan. means to an end and a tight sod to boot!!!:aidan. and you cant beat a GSA to munch miles:thumb2

Just checking that it's still possible to pay cash at the toll booths for Spanish motorways?

I've sorted out a pre-paid toll card (which isn't actually a card - just a registration of the bikes number plate) for Porugal but time and distances mean we'll probably have to use a couple of motorways in Spain on the way back to Santander. After the less than straightforward process of sorting out the pre-pay thing for Portugal, I'd rather just do tolls the old fashioned way for Spain.

Thanks

I've always found it quicker to avoid Motorways in Spain, the 'A' roads are generally very quite and it's easy to cover distance on them. Scenery is usually a lot better as well.

We recently drove on motorways from Santander to Seville to Malaga round Madrid back to Santander and it was all free and we saw not a single toll booth.

I feel cheated now.

We recently drove on motorways from Santander to Seville to Malaga round Madrid back to Santander and it was all free and we saw not a single toll booth.

I feel cheated now.

Simple really, toll free 'Autovias' are numbered beginning with 'A', e.g. A-23, etc. while 'Autopistas' and numbered 'AP' hence AP-2, etc. and as you approach they also have a sign 'Peaje', meaning toll.

But the hint about following the original highway is good in the country but bad near towns, where a lot of industrial and trading estates make a lot of traffic that also hammers the surface.

The old N-23 down from Zaragossa to Sagunto has some fantastic sections, but you won't see much of them on sat navs as they arevdeclassified to access road - 'via de service'

Regs

Simon

Yes you can. There's generally at least one manned toll booth on the "AP" motorways and also there will be unmanned ones that take cash or cards. The big overhead signs as you approach the booths indicate which are cash/card or card only. Watch out for unprepared car drivers in front of you dropping change, not being able to reach the machine and generally "faffing around" in the unmanned ones!

I've done a few trips recently Santander to Gibraltar or vice versa and if I recall correctly the only toll booth in 660 miles is between Jerez and Seville. I seem to remember that there are a couple more if you're taking the Bilbao ferry option.

It seemed to me that presenting the bar coded ticket you got when paying c. 10 euros at booth 1 at the next Peaje along gave me a significant discount (1.20 euro the second time).

Bike tolls seem otherwise to be pitched at a similar rate to cars.

This from a recent trip and I may be wrong.

Also, I think I read on here or Adv, that in Portugal if you see a toll booth you still need to take a ticket even if you have registered you bike. The registration process is for the auto robbery gantry sections which are mainly oop norf. I might be wrong...

Also, I think I read on here or Adv, that in Portugal if you see a toll booth you still need to take a ticket even if you have registered you bike. The registration process is for the auto robbery gantry sections which are mainly oop norf. I might be wrong...
I believe if you buy a Via Verde box when you enter Portugal (at the nearest or first point that requires payment) it covers all expenses from motorway tolls. It can also be used at some other points, ie:some select car parks. Money goes out of registered account soon after.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The toll roads are signed AP-? as The Spanish Bikes says. The majority of AP's have autopay stations. You can pay by cash or credit card. Some booths do not take a foreign debit card.
Manual pay a now few and far between. Some of the AP roads charge you when you enter ,these are generally shot journey toll roads. When entering main AP roads you are issued a card and when you leave the AP you insert the card into the machine and it works how far you have travelled on the motorway.

This is correct i have a via verde and can use it for car parks etc. You can even use via verde fuel pumps at the fuel stops on the motorways when it is enabled.
Buying a temp via verde box when entering is the simplist solution. Or.... just pay if there is a toll booth and ignore the rest of the gantry charge points. Portugal isn't chasing payment from foreign reg vehicles. Yet.

Slightly OT but has anyone tried getting two bikes through a toll booth with one ticket/payment? Question obviously applies to France as well.

Back
Top Bottom