Advice needed - 4 day tour of Scotland

Best midge repellent..aerosol and a lighter..there's NOTHING that really works unfortunately. Oh, and as above :D

Came down from Moray today. Rothes - Tomintoul - the Lecht - Donside - Braemar - Glenshee - Perth. What a fantastic ride. Done it many times before of course but rarely on a better day. At the top of the ridge overlooking Deeside (with the view over to the Cairngorms in the distance and Lochnagar in the foreground) a Dutch VFR was stopped. So of course, I stopped too and said ... "A bit different from the Netherlands then!" Massive grin in response!

Btw ... There are still piles of gravel on the road below the Lecht. Ride with care!

Came down from Moray today. Rothes - Tomintoul - the Lecht - Donside - Braemar - Glenshee - Perth. What a fantastic ride. Done it many times before of course but rarely on a better day. At the top of the ridge overlooking Deeside (with the view over to the Cairngorms in the distance and Lochnagar in the foreground) a Dutch VFR was stopped. So of course, I stopped too and said ... "A bit different from the Netherlands then!" Massive grin in response!

Btw ... There are still piles of gravel on the road below the Lecht. Ride with care!

Oh...so my tea doesn't even get a mention now then!

Humph!

Afternoon all

I'm looking for a bit of advice/opinions from other peoples experience.

I've got a 4 day tour of Scotland booked in at the end of June. Rough idea of the route we are planning to take each day detailed below but hoping people can make a few suggestions re best roads to take. One of the group is on a road bike so single track roads are fine but sheep tracks are not what we are looking for. Of the beaten track, scenic, real Scotland please.

Day 1 - M6 & M74 to get past Glasgow, A82 up past Lock Lomond, A83 from Tarbet to Lockgilphead, A816 & A85 through Oban and back east to pick up the A82 back up at Tyndrum before heading north to Glencoe and then Kinlochleven.

Day 2 - Kinlochleven to the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge before heading west to catch the ferry from Mallaig to Armadale, Loop around Skye taking in as much as we can including the roads from Sligachan to Dunvegan and Uig to Brogaig, bridge off the Isle and up to Strathcarron and then over the Bealach Na Ba to Applecross and round the peninsula to Fearnmore, Torridon, Kinlochewe and up to Gairloch for the night.

Day 3 - Garloch to Ullapool via Poolewe and Dundonnell and then north to Ledmore before turning SE and heading to Oykel Bridge and Bonar Bridge and south to Inverness. South into the Cairngorms (not on the A9).

Then its either;
1 - south of Edinburgh for an overnight stop before a play in the low lands and Kielder forest on our way south or
2 - back west/south west out of the bottom of the Cairngorms into the Trossachs and then south to do the west coast roads and Galloway forest on the way south...again with an overnighter in there somewhere probably just north of Glasgow.

A full on few days but should be good fun. Thoughts, opinions, ideas and suggestions all welcome.

Take false numberplates. Scottish police are nicking people for 1MPH over the limit so copy the scumbags who get away with everything

Take false numberplates. Scottish police are nicking people for 1MPH over the limit..

[Take false numberplates. Scottish police are nicking people for 1MPH over the limit......]

Not my experience:D

Copper stopped me with 'Afternoon sir....'
'What the fook do ya want copper?' says I
'Do you know the speed limit sir?' says he.
'Yes I fookin' do, why?' says I.
"Do you know you were speeding sir?' says he
'Yes, I was on a blinder til you stepped in the road waving at me'
'Well, the speed limit is there for a reason sir' says pc
'And?? whats your point pal I'm in a hurry' says cocky me.
'Its just that I've not seen this bike close up before' says pc
'FFS - not again'
'Nor such skill and exemplary road craft' splutters pc
'I'm getting bored now, what about the speed limit?'
'Its to give us a chance to look at the nice paintwork' says pc sheepishly.
'Well, take a photo, quick like'.
'Really!!!!, thanks.....' says bashful policeman.
'Hurry up!! Right, now fook off, I just might get my average speed back!!
Delighted policeman stops the cars to allow my speedy one wheeled exit.

The Scottish constabulary could not have been more obliging:aidan

Dreamt up by Clive:cool:

Take false numberplates. Scottish police are nicking people for 1MPH over the limit so copy the scumbags who get away with everything

Not a single glimpse of the Polis on my run down. Thus I was able to pop into Castle Watts without undue delay to discuss the finer points of the Labour Manifesto and my deep and abiding fondness for felines over an excellent cup of Lapsang Soochong! Much refreshed, one departed the noble pile (and Gerry's gaff) for the final brisk ride tae Embra. The day was made complete by a note from Mrs SB ... "Left overs in the fridge and some Innis n Gunn" and an evening watching sport on TV. (Amber Rudd being hammered in a six way tag match.) Oh, the joys ...! :D

That's the best advice I've ever seen on here! No - really! Brilliant! :blast

Back
Top Bottom