Final planning advice needed for Scotland Trip

kbrad44

Reaction score
I've been planning for a two week trip to Scotland on my own and am seriously running out of time for some final planning. I think I have done most of it correct and just need feedback on any obvious cockups I may have not noticed. I don't think I have over done the mileage between campsites. My dilemma is that I'm having trouble working out the best way to cover the outer hebrides too due to all the ferries I need to catch. Below is what I have planned so far and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions for good campsites.

Depart Saturday 3rd or Sunday 4th June

Part 1 Home to Glencoe Red Squirrel Campsite
Start 7am Didcot, A34, M40, M6, A74(M), M74, A898, A82. 462miles

Part 2 Red Squirrel Campsite to Applecross Campsite
Glencoe, Spean Bridge, Invergarry A87, Eilean Donan Castle, A890, Attadale, A896, Lochcarron, Applecross pass bealach na ba, Applecross campsite. 121 miles

Part 3 Applecross Campsite to Port a Bhaigh Campsite
Applecross, stick to coast road, Kinlochewe, Dundonnell, Ullapool, Drumrunie, Port a Bhaigh Campsite. 141 miles

Part 4 Port a Bhaigh to Sango Sands Campsite
Achnahaird, Badnagyle, Inverkirkaig, Lochinver, A869, Clachtoll, Unapool, Laxford Bridge, Durness, Sango Sands Campsite. 86 miles

Part 5 Sango Sands Campsite to Stroma View Campsite
Durness, Tongue, Armadale, Thurso, Gills bay **Buy Ferry Tickets (Pentland Ferries 9.30 sailing), Stroma View Campsite. 89 miles

Part 6 Stroma View to Wheems Campsite
(Take time for obligatory mug shot at J.O.G. signpost, all of 10 minutes)
Catch 9.30am Ferry (Pentland Ferries £64 Return), St. Margerates Hope, South Ronaldsay Eastside, Wheems Campsite. 23 miles

Part 7 Wheems Campsite to Scourie Caravan and Camping Park
St. Margerates Hope, Ferry to Gills Bay, Thurso, Tongue, Durness, Scourie Caravan and Camping Park. 133 miles
***OR SHOULD I JUST GO AS FAR AS SANGO SANDS?? @ 107 MILES***

***From this point I am not sure of the best way to do the Outer Hebrides***

Part 8 Scourie Caravan and Camping Park Via Ullapool ferry to Stornoway to visit …LEWIS and HARRIS, NORTH and SOUTH ULST, possibly BARRA (to stay at Croft 2 campsite). Then from here intend to head back to Lochmaddy to catch ferry over to Uig. Then either spend a night in Sky or head direct to Glen Nevis campsite.

From Glen Nevis Campsite back home in one hit.

14 days to use so can take my time to investigate at my leisure.

Cheers, Keith

The Uists and Benbecula are really boring (like Falkland Islands level boring) - I spent 18 months there when I was in the RAF and would be hard pressed to recommend anywhere worth a visit.

Skye is absolutely beautiful, as is the Applecross area, and most of the west coast. I'd cut the Uists out of the plan and spend more time on the mainland and Skye. I've only briefly visited Stornaway, so can't advise you on anything there (although they did have a Pelican crossing and a British Legion club - some joined up shops too...) :D

Have fun wherever you go - take LOTS of insect repellent...

If you are planning to finish at Barra, you are better going Lochboisdale to Mallaig, turn right at Lochailort and round Ardnamurchan and back over the Corran Ferry, quick dive back up to Glen Nevis campsite, or better still camp in Glencoe...Red Squirrel?

Part 7 ...easy day run from St Margarets Hope all the way to Ullapool.

Dont forget to get obligatory (expensive....but nice) pie in Lochinver.

Make sure to make time to look at some of archeology on Orkney

Make time to look at Luskentyre beach on Harris.

To be honest North and South Uist are not really the best biking places in Scotland. Good to see and tick the box but you can go top to bottom in a few hours.

Ha!..Mike beat me to it but it seems we agree!

I'm not long back from the Western Isles, did Lewis/Harris, then N uist/S Uist/Eriskay and back to N Uist Lochmaddy ferry to Uig on Skye, Eriskay is lovely, but the Uists are instantly forgettable, I would not return there but deffo to Lewis/Harris

Barra last Thursday, we stayed at kilbride campsite on south uist. Good campsite.

Attachments

• WP_20170525_14_41_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170525_14_41_03_Pro.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 372
  • WP_20170525_14_26_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170525_14_26_58_Pro.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 364
  • WP_20170525_18_54_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170525_18_54_32_Pro.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 369
  • WP_20170525_18_54_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170525_18_54_57_Pro.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 357
Part 1 looks an absolute ballache 460miles :nenau, whilst Ive done similar its been across Germany on autobahn, do yourself a favour and bed down somewhere before Glasgow, Glencoe is a beautiful ride up from Glasgow, be refreshed and enjoy it.

Taking note of peoples advice I am choosing to do the following for part 8 onwards...

Part 8 Scourie Caravan and Camping Park to Horgabost Campsite, Harris
Scourie, Ullapool, Ferry across to Stornoway,A859, Balallan, Tarbert, Seilebost, Horgabost Campsite.

Part 9 Horgabost Campsite to Kinloch Campsite
A859 to Tarbert, Ferry to Uig Skye, A87, A850, Skeabost, Dunvegan, Kinloch Campsite.

Part 10 Kinloch Campsite to Ben Nevis campsite
A863, A87, Broadford, A851, Armadale, Ferry to Mallaig, A830, Glenfinnan, Banavie, A82, C1162, Glen Nevis Camping Park.

Part 11 Head home…

As you can see I have decided to give the Ulsts a miss which will give me more time exploring Lewis and Harris then Skye. I agree that the first part is a long old slog but my initial plans were to go as far as windemere for a stop then carry on up the next day, but it would then mean two days of motorway work so I would rather get it all out of the way in one go with a happy end to the long haul with seeing Glencoe in all its glory. :)

Obviously I wont be just riding and plan to take time getting off the bike and taking loads of pictures. My initial aim for planning the whole trip was to take a picture of a Puffin in the Orkneys. It seems to have snowballed a bit and turned into a 2 week trip.
Any suggestions of places to visit on any of my routes will be greatly appreciated. Love nature, history, ruins etc.

cheers, Keith

Horgabost campsite is ok on Harris but if you want an utterly spectacular location campsite check out the one at kneep beech on Lewis.

7d0dc5d88332a59a04879ea4af8539ed.jpg

Just back from the islands in the motorhome. I didn't get Barra tbh. It's about 15 miles of single track. Beyond that not much to recommend it. Once you have seen 1 plane land on a beach that's about it. There is a site just before Croft 2 that is larger and seemed quite popular. Owner v friendly. I only went there because we took the boat from Oban.
I agree with someone's comments about the Uists and Benbecula. Fairly flat and boring but loads of sea food and opportunities to sea birds of prey as well as sea life. Lots of dead end single track roads. There are a couple of decent campsites on Benbecula and plenty of wild camping spots if that's your thing. And beaches! White sands and tourquoise water!

Harris looked more challenging on the bike. The road from Leverburgh to Tarbert has just been resurfaced in the past week using the method that leaves lots of loose gravel! Horgabost campsite was good enough for me. An honesty box and basic facilities. If you want to be near your bike you'll need to camp in the big grassy field on the left.
The road north to Stornoway offers a couple of interesting diversions - the 'golden' Road (turn right out of the ferry area in leverburgh), distillery at Tarbert gives a guided tour for £10 throwing in a couple of drams and a shot of their decent gin for your money and the road to Hushinish has a wild bird observatory that I wasn't brave enough to drive to in a 2.2 metre wide and 7 metre long motorhome 😱😳
Callanish standing stones worth a visit on the way north towards stornoway. A decent site in stornoway about a mile or so from the centre. We didn't have time to go further north but some folk we spoke to on the ferry back to ullapool suggested we didn't miss much.

And Sunday! Not much happens on a Sunday. Make sure you have enough food to see you through and remember no coffee and cake stops or lunch stops anywhere that we could find.

Back
Top Bottom