Coil question?

newman7096

Reaction score
Bmw 1200 RT developed spluttering below 3000 rpm especially when riding slowly i.e. Filtering. I strongly suspect it's one of the stick coil. The bike is booked in to on the 12th June to have fuel strip replaced.

1st question, will I cause any damage to the bike by continuing to use it until 12th?

2nd question, is it best to replace could as a pair?

Thank you that is all :D

i would say yes its ok to ride....if you know which coil it is then replace just the one...there about £90 each...
i had same issues and replaced all 4....if ones gone then it wont be long before another one goes....my gs done 50,000 miles on original set...

Bikes done 42000 miles. As long as I can still use it for work. I noticed after cleaning the down pipes one is blue and purple and the other a mild bronze brown. One is significantly hotter than the other.

I'd be very careful carrying on using it. Especially if the coil has been "dodgy" for a while. I've seen many many coils burn out and melt the wiring that connects to the coil. And it's fairly common because BMW sell a section of wiring and connector to repair it.

Back
Top Bottom