Roadlok issues

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Whilst I'm generally pleased with my Roadlok, I've had two occasions recently when I've struggled to get it to release. Both times I've had to take off a pannier and use it as a weight to tie the elastic cord to (usually comes up to the right grip with a "remove before flight" tag on it) and rock the bike for a while before it pings out.

I'm going to remove it so I can clean the hole in the part that sits inside the disk but I wondered if anyone else has any maintenance suggestions?

Mine used to get clagged up but since giving it a squirt with this every few weeks I've had no issues :)

Andres

Attachments

• 9028293558302.png
    9028293558302.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 5,030
How do you avoid fouling the brake disc Andres?

What I have done is to align the wheel so the pin goes through, then furtled about with an m6 drill bit to displace the crud, then a quik blast of compressed air. Seems to have cleared it for now.

How do you avoid fouling the brake disc Andres?

What I have done is to align the wheel so the pin goes through, then furtled about with an m6 drill bit to displace the crud, then a quik blast of compressed air. Seems to have cleared it for now.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'foul the disc'?

My issue was the the lock itself becoming stiff to operate along with the metal 'locking pin' getting stuck in the barrel (I assumed that was more down to the lock itself not disengaging properly rather than the pin getting jammed in a corroded/dirty barrel?). Cleaned with compressed air and then lubricated as above.

The pin on end that locates in the drilled disc has always located cleanly and never needed 'rocking back and forth' to disengage ~ note my bike's a KTM but that shouldn't make any difference?

Andres

I find the lock barrel a bit hit and miss. Ive blown some graphite power into the keyhole and worked it back and forth. This helped, but it still can be a fiddle at times.

Stand at the front facing the bike. Grab the mirrors and lift the front wheel. With your foot, "feel" the free play on the pin and put it central. Lower and remove the pin. Ten seconds in total.

I'm thinking of buying one of these very soon.

For those that bought them, are you still happy with it, was it worth the money?

Cheers :thumb2

For those that bought them, are you still happy with it, was it worth the money?

Yes, worth the money, very easy to use and carry, definitely worth the money.

Got it last Christmas and use it on my bike every stop, apart from petrol.

I'm in the market for one too!

I got an email back from Ian McCarthy the owner who said we can use UKGSER as a discount code to get 15% off at Checkout online.

After discount applied my PayPal charge was £ 149.63 with USD to GBP conversion, which includes shipping to UK. But we'll have import tax on top of that so it isn't exactly cheap, but I think worth it.

Incidentally, I also saw on UK Ebay a guy selling his brand new Roadlok for £200 on a buy it now. BUT, the bolt threads in his kit are not BMW Specific and when I checked with Ian McCarthy at Roadlok his email reply was as follows:-

"BMW bikes use coarse thread mounting bolts (1.5mm), whereas all other bikes use a finer thread (1.25mm). Attempting to use the wrong mounting hardware will strip out your fork, so please be sure the kit contains the right type. That being said, we used to sell kits that included all of the hardware, so it is possible if you are purchasing off ebay that it is one of these older kits that includes everything. We stopped doing this because there was so much waste, and customizing the hardware allowed us to pass cost savings on to our customers."

So I decided to not bother with it and buy it directly from him instead. Just a heads up.

Website also says ROADLOK UK, Sheffield, England, UK? However I can find not sign of that, looks like a good product, just a bit pricy, shame there is no UK distributor, anyone interested?

Yes, very happy.
So quick to put on and impossible to drive off with it on. Tried it one with an ordinary disc lock.

Bought direct from USA, expensive but worth it IMHO.

Wish they made one for the rear.

Can I ask...

If you have Roadlok activated, what happens if you bump the bike off the centerstand while the locking pin is in place?

Will it damage the disc or bend the locking pin. Or is it all OK to do that?

Or as the front wheel is locked, it can't be bumped off the centerstand?

Can I ask...

If you have Roadlok activated, what happens if you bump the bike off the centerstand?

Never tried that (yet!!!!!!!)

Even it the pin bends, bet the bike will go down.

Don't use the centre stand that often, but the front wheel is on the ground unless the luggage is loaded, so it would not move?

Can I ask...

If you have Roadlok activated, what happens if you bump the bike off the centerstand while the locking pin is in place?

Or as the front wheel is locked, it can't be bumped off the centerstand?

On concrete, I couldn't get it off the stand as the front wheel needs to roll slightly. On dust or gravel you might get it off the stand.

What if a lazy rider were to forget, sit on bike so front wheel is off ground and rock bike forwards off centerstand.

This isn't my style but some of my GSA mates are interested in this also and they're looking for gotchas

What if a lazy rider were to forget, sit on bike so front wheel is off ground and rock bike forwards off centerstand.

This isn't my style but some of my GSA mates are interested in this also and they're looking for gotchas

I reckon that the bike would stop abruptly!

Back
Top Bottom