Walkie talkie recommendation

Joe narvey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me of a simple solution for long range ( no licence) bike to bike walkie talkie comms with PTT preferably with Bluetooth to helmet?

Thanks in advance

Best PMR in my opinion is the kenwood Tk 3001 . It's not blue tooth, don't know any that are, but if you add a Sena SR10 to it, it then becomes a Bluetooth radio ,with PTT etc ,

Why not get a licence Joe, £70 for 3 years, and an application form.
My record with a licensed PMR is 38 miles, but it was a clear and direct Alp to Alp.

Intaride do the 803 radio which can be used with a PTT switch and a wired headset. They can have a battery eliminator to power them from the bike.
I have 2 which are for sale as i don't instruct any more :D

BTW, they can be set to 2 watt output, not just 500mw.

My record with a licensed PMR is 38 miles, but it was a clear and direct Alp to Alp.

38miles !!

I have had licences from when I had boats but I'd like to be able to give(lend) a radio to riding friends when we ride as we use kit that isnt compatible and I don't want to have to get them to have a licence.

Out of interest, what is a good set requiring a licence if we went that route ?

Intaride do the 803 radio which can be used with a PTT switch and a wired headset. They can have a battery eliminator to power them from the bike.
I have 2 which are for sale as i don't instruct any more :D

BTW, they can be set to 2 watt output, not just 500mw.

I use the 803 too. There is a blue tooth dongle available (http://www.intaride.com/bird-1_details.html), but it does NOT have VOX, so you still need to setup a PTT button.

These are good. They will cover a lot more than just the uk licence free 446 pmr frequencies.
They do not conform to the uk 446 regs. as the power out can be switched between lo (500mw) and hi (5 watts.)
They are compatible with the Kenwood leads and can be programmed via a windows PC.
The battery eliminators are cheap as chips and being small can be tucked anywhere.
I have mine under the seat connected to a small mag mount on my top box.

Is it the radio that is licences or the person operating it ? Could I buy and register a pair in my name and then pass to riding chum to use?

SEna 20s BT headsets, buy a pair, then install Sena app that uses smartphone to link 'em up via data....ok in UK but expensive if used abroad!
range then only constrained by availability of phone signal.
OR
Puxing 5w radios (copy of kenwood programmable)tuned to pmr frequencies....use autocom style kit to connect them ...illegal 5W but its only pmr frequencies, which are inhabited by crazies anyway...no-one cares

Back
Top Bottom