ADVICE FROM THE AUSTRALIAN BMW OWNERS AFTER AN ACCIDENT

Hope it all goes well.

Now you know the parts list if I were you I would also do some pricing up of my own - just to keep a check on what they come back with and so you have the data to hand - wouldnt be surprised if they come back with a reasonably high figure so that a write off would be an (easy for them) option........bearing in mind what they think the bike is worth, which will be market value, ie a quick check of whats on ebay.

Just saying, being ex insurance an all.......

Would be usefull to see a picture, my thoughts are wether or not the asessor followed the stress from the cylinder head to see if secondary damage to the frame or engine casing which might not be fuilly apparant until later? Will the insureres sort it for you later down the road if it becomes apparant that there's secondary damage?

PICTURES OF DAMAGE

Would be usefull to see a picture, my thoughts are wether or not the asessor followed the stress from the cylinder head to see if secondary damage to the frame or engine casing which might not be fuilly apparant until later? Will the insureres sort it for you later down the road if it becomes apparant that there's secondary damage?

Good idea mate heres a couple of pictures i hope

Attachments

• IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 219
You mean rocker cover not cylinder head if he asks BMW for a cylinder head you're screwed

Get that bar pulled forward and get that peanut shell rubbish off there and double check the rocker arms etc for damage

Looking at that again I'd be getting that crash bar pulled forward to keep the originality of the bike
Looks like the rocker cover may not even be penetrated because there's no oil anywhere???

Did the driver drive into you from left rear side? I'm guessing that's how those cylinder head fins were lopped off in which case you're lucky she didn't crush your leg up against it, what a close call you have had if that's the case.

Did the driver drive into you from left rear side? I'm guessing that's how those cylinder head fins were lopped off in which case you're lucky she didn't crush your leg up against it, what a close call you have had if that's the case.

Yep that's exactly what happened smashed straight into my ankle which is broken, I have to wait until Tuesday to know if it needs pins/screws etc thank god for good motorcycle boots otherwise I don't think I would have a foot left.

Dont worry, I am not in any hurry to do anything, it is just that I have five bikes and the Paralever seems to have slipped to the bottom of the list.
And at 71 I am at the age when I am starting to think about getting everything sorted out and tidied up, and the longer GS sits the more temptation there is to cannibalize bits for my R80 G/S and R75/7.
I dont have a working camera or a phone with one, so it will be the weekend before I can get any pics, but not much to see anyway.
I will email them to you at aol

Hey mate,
Looks like they are going to do an uneconomic right off which I will be able to buy back if I want to (just waiting for confirmation etc etc ), so I would really be interested in some pictures and details of your bike if possible to bikerjim34@aol.com
Cheers Jim

Jim Lock the garage doors and don't let them in Tell them to give you $1500 and you will fix it yourself! We'll find you a good used head here and send it to you :thumb

Hey mate,
Looks like they are going to do an uneconomic right off which I will be able to buy back if I want to (just waiting for confirmation etc etc ), so I would really be interested in some pictures and details of your bike if possible to bikerjim34@aol.com
Cheers Jim

Jim Lock the garage doors and don't let them in Tell them to give you $1500 and you will fix it yourself! We'll find you a good used head here and send it to you :thumb

Hi Doc,
Its all looking good so far, I am picking the bike up from the BMW dealership tomorrow morning or should I say a mate is as I still cant drive, so once we have it home I will be doing my own appraisal on the old girl and get a list of parts up.
So far today I have had confirmation that they will give me $3000 for damage to my riding gear so happy with that.
I would imagine the bike details and offers in writing will get to me tomorrow so watch this space.
Once I get a list together of parts needed any help you guys can offer will be much appreciated.
Cheers jim

Ignore - I missed the second page

although that model came with those rocker covers I would think that the later, black and different design, will fit

anyone tried?

Got the bike home today anybody got a left hand cylinder head and crashbar ?

Hi all,
Got the bike back home today and after a preliminary check around (will do a proper one tomorrow) I need a left hand cylinder head (ideally complete) a left hand crash bar or a pair ? and a side stand, the rest is just cosmetics so not a problem, its all to fit a 1989 Bmw R100 GSPD
Anybody got anything ? happy to pay for UK/Aus postage I just need to get the bits I can arrange the postage etc from here if you prefer, just want to get the old gal ready by the time my injuries are ready to go biking again.
If there is anybody in Australia that has the bits even better so any help and advice would be appreciated, I will put an add in the wanted section as well just in case.
So come on fella's get digging in the garages.
Cheers jim
Bikerjim34@aol.com

Didn't notice the broken fins :blast but good heads come up regularly. I've found good crash bars are scarce as I have been chasing some better ones for my GSs.
Will give you a call soon Jim.

Well its all good news here's a bit of an update

Hi All,
Well I finally have got the agreement from my insurance company, I have got the bike back and the agreed value to me is $1500 = £900 approx and a nice cash lump sum to go with it.
Found a good used cylinder head and dear old Nick Marshall has got hold of a brand new left crash bar for me :)bow Nick ) so as soon as the bits arrive the bike is all set to go back on the road it will be ready quicker than my broken bones will be :D
Thanks guy's for all your help and advice as usual this forum is the best.
:beerjug: jim

Back
Top Bottom