Seat Woes

DeeGee

Reaction score
Lads having ridden my KTM Adventure for years with no.issues on the seat. I'm getting a real awful pain in my hips and groin area when riding the RT, it pretty much comes on straight away.

Yesterday I did around 230 miles and when I got home I was really struggling. The sole reason I got the RT was to do big Road trips with the missus and opted for the RT over the Triumph Trophy.

We go away into Europe in three weeks and I seriously beginning to doubt my choice of weapon.

I know there are alternative seat options, but don't really want to plough more coin into my ride. I've tried the seat on high and low settings and I've even got the peg lowering kit and it's still giving me grief.

Any of you guys had a similar issue and any tips you'd like to share if you've had positive results?

Any info greatly received.

what year is the RT? I have a 2014 and did 2k over 5 days last week, including a 350 mile stint with just 3 half hour leg stretches. No aches or pains at all. I have covered 9k in the last year with no issues at all. My wife uses an air hawk on the pillion, more because I happen to have one off another bike rather than any discomfort.

Speak to Richard Higgs at Wollaston Motorrad 01604 232000, he experienced a similar problem. I suggest you see if you can contact him to see how he resolved it

The greater bend in the leg is straining some leg muscles - certainly compared to the roomy riding position of an adventure-style bike. I have an Airhawk and I am also doing some basic stretches for motorcyclists at the start of each day and this has improved things.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Just to let you know, it's not a numb arse I'm suffering with, that's not an issue (probably because of the pain I'm not feeling a numb bum!)

Like I said earlier it's the top of my hips and groin. Still been aching today at graft! :(

May I suggest calling in to Tony Archer if you can get a spare seat then you can ride in and he can diagnose what sort of seating may help and you can pick it up before you go.

Have you considered peg lowering or bar risers ?

A modified seat can also help spread the load and whilst I see you have said you don't have a numb bum, the seat can really help with positioning and ease the stress on hips and knees.

May I suggest calling in to Tony Archer if you can get a spare seat then you can ride in and he can diagnose what sort of seating may help and you can pick it up before you go.

Have you considered peg lowering or bar risers ?

A modified seat can also help spread the load and whilst I see you have said you don't have a numb bum, the seat can really help with positioning and ease the stress on hips and knees.

Cheers Wobble I'll have a butchers, I am loathe to spend more coin on the bike though TBH. I have fitted a peg lowering kit too.

My seat refurb was less than 100 notes, worth calling in on your bike, and seeing what they say, it's totally transformed my ride.

5'8" 32" inside leg and 14 stone (and going down :thumb )[/QUOTE]

I had a 12 plate RT and found the comfort seat was very good. I'm also 5' 8" and had no knee problems.But I only have short legs. Personally I think money spent on a comfort seat will be better than the tony archer solution.

What's the difference with the comfort seat? And more importantly what's the cost??

What's the difference with the comfort seat? And more importantly what's the cost??

I found it a lot more comfortable, its a 1 piece seat which has a small backrest built in. I got one for about £200 second hand.

Comfort Seat

Sorry if i've lost the thread/flow here - who makes the comfort seat, is it std BM ?

It is a beemer part, your 11 plate needs it. Made a huge difference. My RT WC is great on the standard seat with the pegs lowered, most comfortable bike I have had, 2200 miles to Slovenia and nearly back, (in Cochem on the way home). Plenty on ebay and on here for about 200 quid with heated seat

I found the comfort seat very low, and I caused problems with my knees, worthy seeing a bike with one on and seeing how it affects overall position of you can before you get one.

Back
Top Bottom